Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies Ruined By Their Sequel (or Prequels)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies Ruined By Their Sequel (or Prequels)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toxie321
HOSTEL!!!Hostel 2 was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Plus, after I saw it my penis hurt for about 2 hours.
Jeez, what were you doing while you were watching it?
(ducks & runs out door)
Old 02-04-08, 02:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 02-04-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Star Wars prequels definitely crapped all over the Holy Trilogy. What's frustrating is I actually liked Episode II, but ROTS was freaking awful and so poorly written that it undermined everything good in the previous film.

Alien 3 was so bad I prefer to pretend it was just a bad dream Ripley had in cryosleep.

Spider-Man 3 was pretty crappy as well. I would ignore that movie, but unfortunately it's the third chapter of a 3-part story, so you kinda have to acknowledge its existence.

At least something like the original Matrix, Alien and Aliens, Superman I & II, Highlander, and even the original Star Wars Trilogy(pre-Special Edition alterations) can stand on their own storywise, so it's easier to pretend what followed never happened. That's why it's also easy to cherry pick the good Bond movies and ignore the bad ones.
Old 02-04-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^OK but what about the movies that were shot back to back like PIrates 2/3, Matrix 2/3, Lord of the rings/ Kill Bill (not that I am debating these are bad, I love them just using them as an example or something thats really one story split into multiple films.)
I really liked Pirates 2 but I did not like Pirates 3 which continued the story of Pirates 2 . Same with Matrix 2/3 I loved Reloaded but Revolutions was horrendous.
Okay, so you don't like some sequels, how exactly does that ruin their predecessors?
Old 02-04-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Basically when a sequel (or prequel) explains or "retcons" a reference in the original film, it makes it hard for me to ignore it when I'm watching the original film. Thats all I'm saying.
Old 02-04-08, 04:43 PM

Hannibal and Red Dragon ruined Silence of the Lambs. I think Hannibal could have had a chance if they got Jodie Foster cast. Red Dragon was just overkill. Hannibal Rising just shit on the entire thing. I haven't seen Manhunter so can't comment there.
Old 02-04-08, 05:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^OK but what about the movies that were shot back to back like PIrates 2/3, Matrix 2/3, Lord of the rings/ Kill Bill (not that I am debating these are bad, I love them just using them as an example or something thats really one story split into multiple films.)
I really liked Pirates 2 but I did not like Pirates 3 which continued the story of Pirates 2 . Same with Matrix 2/3 I loved Reloaded but Revolutions was horrendous.
Right, but even if those elements that are present and worked in the preceeding movie are there, but don't work in the next sequel I can't fault what did work even if the next one progresses the story a bit more and were shot b2b.

I loved P1, then P2, and P3, but certainly not as much as the fresh, new original. P2 added elements that were magnificent and tedious, but as a whole I liked it more than P3 which, yes, progressed and possibly concluded the story, but certain elements didn't work and it became a little laborious to get through, even though there were elements that were grand.

But, just because the following sequels didn't work as well as the original, it doesn't take away from my love and awe for the original. no way. i don't think i would be a movie lover if that happened as history dictates sequels are never as good as its original. i mean that is almost a law.

how could the prequels to the original "Star Wars" which I thought were decent, take away from the magic, shock and awe I felt when I saw "Star Wars" for the first time with my family in 1977. or the welling up in my eyes i get when i still watch that original to this day, simply because i am still blown away that something like this, this work of art, with effects that in my mind have not been equalled (simply because of the emotion they evoke) today was made in 1977! nothing, not prequels, sequels, cartoon network shennanigans could take away from the emotions i feel when i watch the one that started it all. and, and if possibly one of those other efforts i watch could further my enjoyment of the story as a whole than i am all for it, but if i don't think it enhances than so be it, it's just meh, but it could never ever take away from or tarnish the first and subsequent emotions of that very special original.
Old 02-04-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Alien 3 made Aliens kind of pointless, but it doesn't ruin it for me. I watch Aliens and skip Alien 3.

I like the original 3 Star Wars less than I used to, but that might have happened with or without the sequels.
Old 02-04-08, 05:17 PM

Speed 2. Didn't they say all that they needed to say in the first one? Must they go on a boat?
Old 02-04-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jpoppe
Sam Raimi pooped on his audience with Spider-Man 3.

edited to add (accidently hit 'save changes' instead of 'preview changes'):

It's hard for me watch what was built by SM2 today and just know how the next one effed it all up. Much the same can be said for the X-Men series. X2 was building to an awesome finale but when Singer left so did the mastermind behind the whole saga.
You saved me a lot of typing with this. Completely concur.
Old 02-04-08, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by redskull
Jeez, what were you doing while you were watching it?
(ducks & runs out door)
Let's just say the movie theater floors have never been so sticky. Haha jk.
Old 02-04-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Star Wars Episode 1. The other 5 films were unnecessary and ruined it.
Of course, Star Wars Episode 1 was "The Phantom Menace" ... nah, I know what you were going for. Though you really lump "Empire Strikes Back" with the others? I don't know any Star Wars fans who didn't get their asses kicked by "Empire": "Luke ... I am your father!!!"

But yeah ... Star Wars (from the last 3 movies), Matrix (last 2 movies), and Alien (after Aliens) are the ones I really agree with. Because they're those rare sequels that really can hurt the originals. You watch Star Wars now, and you can't unforget seeing the younger Vader - first as a bratty kid, and then as an annoying emo loser. I try ... but I just can't
Old 02-04-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Of course, Star Wars Episode 1 was "The Phantom Menace" ... nah, I know what you were going for. Though you really lump "Empire Strikes Back" with the others? I don't know any Star Wars fans who didn't get their asses kicked by "Empire": "Luke ... I am your father!!!"

But yeah ... Star Wars (from the last 3 movies), Matrix (last 2 movies), and Alien (after Aliens) are the ones I really agree with. Because they're those rare sequels that really can hurt the originals. You watch Star Wars now, and you can't unforget seeing the younger Vader - first as a bratty kid, and then as an annoying emo loser. I try ... but I just can't
I think he was joking...
Old 02-04-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pitch Black to Chronicles. The fact that a pretty original hard edged suspenseful scifi story turned into an overboard, stupid mythological mess of a film still kills me.

I still love Pitch Black but I can never quite look at it the same way.
Old 02-04-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
The only example I can think of where a sequel killed my respect for the original was Shrek 2, one of the most overrated movies of the last decade IMO.
Then you may want to skip Shrek the Third .

This thread topic pops up from time to time, and invariably there are those who answer, "I pretend the sequel doesn't exist so nothing is ruined."

However, people mentioning movies building up to the next sequel raise a very good point. Matrix Reloaded and Spider-Man 2 were partially great because of the expectation left at the end that you were going to see something even better next time. Now that we know that's not true, I'm sorry - but no amount of pretending in the world is going to protect it from losing some of its appeal.

Last edited by rennervision; 02-04-08 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
None that I can think of. Each film stands on its own merits.
Exactly, I can pretend Alien3 & Resurrection never existed.
Old 02-04-08, 06:43 PM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "Mannequin 2" yet.
Old 02-04-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
Yeah, this one just grosses me out. I've never seen it, but had decomposition started to set in yet? Because that's nasty.
Old 02-05-08, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is my understanding of "Weekend at Bernies 2" that it takes place right after the events of the first movie.

Originally Posted by Kudama
T2 kinda ruined The Terminator for me. Gave it a happy, cheesy ending and basically showed that SkyNet could send endless terminators back in time and for some reason didn't.
I still like T2. I wonder why Skynet decided to send another terminator 10 years after the previous one, but then I realize that it is more of an issue of making the movies and it is best not to make up some convoluted movie logic behind it.
Old 02-05-08, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 02-05-08, 05:12 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
The reasons why Lucas ruined the Star Wars Original Trilogy, is mainly because he refuses to release the Originals in their original form on DVD in any good quality. Anyone who has an HDTV has to watch some grainy, blurry laserdisk masters of the original versions, and it pales in comparison to any DVD's you have, let alone now that 1080i BluRay is becoming the new format of the future.

I can forget the PT, but it is damn hard when I only have the Special Editions to watch, because they are the only great quality DVD's to watch StarWars, Empire, and Jedi. You can't help but the think of the Prequels when you see Hayden lurking there as a force ghost at the end next to Alec Guiness! You can't help but think of the Prequels, when you see a CG Jabba scene in Star Wars which looks totally ridiculous in a 1977 movie, or that awful dance number in Jabbas palace in Jedi.

I can forget about bad sequels like Superman III & IV, and Terminator 3, or even the Jaws sequels, cause I essentially can enjoy the ones I love in their original form in DVD quality, or HDDVD quality, but Lucas has ruined the Star Wars movies for people like me who grew up with the originals. I know some people will say he has a right to change his movies, but I say don't piss on the versions that built your fortune.
Old 02-05-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
No way, House 2 rules!
Old 02-05-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't say that a crappy sequel has ever ruined my feelings toward the original, but The Cutting Edge 2, didn't do any favors for it, and I would imagine much less so for The Cutting Edge 3!
Old 02-05-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, usually they don't ruin my appreciation for an original, nor do remakes, but for some reason the original Star Wars has kind of been ruined. I still like them, but I can't get metachlorian counts out of my head when I watch them now.
Old 02-05-08, 09:04 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Yeah, usually they don't ruin my appreciation for an original, nor do remakes, but for some reason the original Star Wars has kind of been ruined. I still like them, but I can't get metachlorian counts out of my head when I watch them now.
See, here is my theory on why Prequels can ruin a series, but Sequels can't. Prequels of course preclude the story of the original movies, so everytime you watch the originals, you can't help but think how everyone got there. We now know that Anakin built C3PO, and that Leia/Lukes mom died of the will to live, so in that context, you can't help but think of that stuff now. With sequels, they are happening AFTER the original movies, and you cannot recognize them, cause they don't give you any reference to what is being shown on screen at the time.

For instance, the great thing about the Original Star Wars movies was how Darth Vader came to be, but even if you don't recognize the Prequels, you now know by seeing the movies once, he is a dumbass who got tricked because he had one bad dream!

With Superman III & IV, none of the stuff in those movies has ONE effect on any context of the plot when I watch Superman I & II.

Last edited by coli; 02-05-08 at 09:06 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.