DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies Ruined By Their Sequel (or Prequels) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/524309-movies-ruined-their-sequel-prequels.html)

chanster 02-04-08 12:30 PM

Movies Ruined By Their Sequel (or Prequels)

For me IMHO:

1. Original Star Wars trilogy has been ruined by the Prequels.
2. Matrix ruined by Sequels
3. Aliens partially ruined by Alien3

Discuss

chris_sc77 02-04-08 12:33 PM

Matrix 3 absolutely destroyed Matrix 2 for me.
Same for Pirates 3. It was so bad it just shat on everything that was established in Part 2.

aJOHNymous 02-04-08 12:36 PM

Sam Raimi pooped on his audience with Spider-Man 3.

edited to add (accidently hit 'save changes' instead of 'preview changes'):

It's hard for me watch what was built by SM2 today and just know how the next one effed it all up. Much the same can be said for the X-Men series. X2 was building to an awesome finale but when Singer left so did the mastermind behind the whole saga.

dhmac 02-04-08 12:45 PM

X-Men 3 (aka "X-Men: The Last Stand") partially ruined X-Men 2 (aka "X2")

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines partially ruined Terminator 2: Judgment Day (and this ruining is continued by the TV series)

And the ruining of two separate franchises (Alien and Predator) is being done by the Alien vs. Predator movies. When speaking of the fans of these franchises, the tagline "Whoever wins... We lose" is all too true.

majorjoe23 02-04-08 12:48 PM

The good movies are still on my shelf, I just ignore the crappy sequels. Nothing has been ruined.

Kudama 02-04-08 12:52 PM

T2 kinda ruined The Terminator for me. Gave it a happy, cheesy ending and basically showed that SkyNet could send endless terminators back in time and for some reason didn't.

Groucho 02-04-08 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jpoppe
X2 was building to an awesome finale but when Singer left so did the mastermind behind the whole saga.

And then Singer went and took a dump on the Superman franchise. Although, III and IV beat him to the punch.

toxie321 02-04-08 12:57 PM

HOSTEL!!!Hostel 2 was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Plus, after I saw it my penis hurt for about 2 hours.

aJOHNymous 02-04-08 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
And then Singer went and took a dump on the Superman franchise. Although, III and IV beat him to the punch.

100% agreed

ToddSm66 02-04-08 01:01 PM

I've never really bought into the idea that a sequel can ruin another movie...or rape my childhood...or any of that nonsense.

Michael Corvin 02-04-08 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ToddSm66
I've never really bought into the idea that a sequel can ruin another movie...or rape my childhood...or any of that nonsense.

Amen to that. It's nonsense. Don't enjoy the sequel, don't watch it again. Problem solved.

Zen Peckinpah 02-04-08 01:08 PM

The only example I can think of where a sequel killed my respect for the original was Shrek 2, one of the most overrated movies of the last decade IMO.

Brian Shannon 02-04-08 01:09 PM

Movies Ruined By Their Sequel (or Prequels)
None that I can think of. Each film stands on its own merits.

Unclejosh 02-04-08 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The good movies are still on my shelf, I just ignore the crappy sequels. Nothing has been ruined.

QFT

Merkin Muffley 02-04-08 01:27 PM

Leonard, Parts I-V

panchor 02-04-08 01:45 PM

The Star Wars original trilogy was not ruined by the prequels, ti was ruined by the edits that George Lucas made for the special editions and the DVD releases.

Michael Corvin 02-04-08 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
The only example I can think of where a sequel killed my respect for the original was Shrek 2, one of the most overrated movies of the last decade IMO.

... and easily forgettable. Hence the original still standing on it's own.

Matthew Ackerly 02-04-08 01:48 PM

Ditto. Thread over.

OldBoy 02-04-08 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ToddSm66

exactly. i take the ones i love on their own merit, if i like their sequels, then so be it, if not it doesn't take away from how much i loved the first or predecessor.

chris_sc77 02-04-08 01:51 PM

^OK but what about the movies that were shot back to back like PIrates 2/3, Matrix 2/3, Lord of the rings/ Kill Bill (not that I am debating these are bad, I love them just using them as an example or something thats really one story split into multiple films.)
I really liked Pirates 2 but I did not like Pirates 3 which continued the story of Pirates 2 . Same with Matrix 2/3 I loved Reloaded but Revolutions was horrendous.

Pistol Pete 02-04-08 01:51 PM

Highlander. There should have been only one.

Groucho 02-04-08 01:53 PM

LOTR -- the second two films with all their battles and warfare really killed the "bunch of people walking around and talking a lot" mood from the first one.

RichC2 02-04-08 02:11 PM

American Psycho 2 --- Horrible movie that confirms Bateman killed people. WTF?

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 02-04-08 02:26 PM

Star Wars Episode 1. The other 5 films were unnecessary and ruined it.

PixyJunket 02-04-08 02:30 PM

This is the correct answer.