Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
"See what we did here?! We, Jerry Bruckheimer in partnership with MTV Productions, put Englund in the movie even though we're totally bastardizing one of the great horror films...it's a super-cool nod to everyone that's not gonna see the movie anyway!! See, he's technically IN the movie, even though Haley Joe Osmet is play the new super-terrifying, undead, cyborg from the firey pits of HELL...the new and improved PG-13-version Freddy Krueger!! ZOMGWTFBBQ this movie is gonna be so totally scary and totally of the hook, dawgs!!! Be sure to buy the super-hip soundtrack featuring all the evil-loud music groups and hardcore gangster rapping artists that your parents are sure to hate."
Perfection.
Old 07-29-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A Nightmare on Elm St. Remake? Say it ain't so!

I just ran across this on IMDB by chance...and didn't see a thread so here goes.

From IMDB
Some fun back-and-forth love at the San Diego Comic Con this weekend as A Nightmare On Elm Street remake news heated up. Platinum Dunes revealed to Bloody-Disgusting that they have yet to reach a deal with New Line Cinema to remake the film, but still, Englund says if they remake the film, he'd love to make an appearance. Dunes Producer Brad Fuller's response? "We'd love to have him!" So even if there's a new Freddy Krueger, maybe we'll still get a sweet cameo from the legend himself. More soon. The films' premise centered on Krueger, a serial child killer murdered by angry parents, who returns with a burnt face and a razor glove to terrorize teens in their dreams.
Really...must every damn movie from the past 30 years that has achieved some sort of status be remade? WTF? I'm hoping this doesn't go much further than discussions and not to production.
Old 07-29-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a thread discussing it:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=523846
Old 07-29-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hooray for DVDtalk search...I don't know how that didn't come up with search terms of "nightmare" "street" and "remake"...

Sorry for the dupe thread. Mods, feel free to combine!
Old 07-29-08, 11:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Citizen Kane staring the fat kid from Superbad.

E
Old 07-29-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first Elm Street is the scariest movie I've ever seen. It traumatized me as a kid, and when I watch it now it still fucks me up for a few days. There is nothing they can do to recapture that magic for me. Nothing.

However, I was mildly interested in a prequel starring Englund...but then that would have been a movie about a guy molesting and killing kids...and no, realize I don't really want to see that either.

So they can do what they want. I won't lie either, I'm sure I'll check it out to see what they do.
Old 07-29-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The original was on the other night and has not aged very well. It will be interesting to see how a remake goes.
Old 08-12-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The rumor, according to Robert Englund himself, is that BILLY BOB THORNTON will be playing FREDDY. The story is on the front page of rottentomatoes. The comments on there seem to hate the idea, but I think Thornton could pull it off. This still doesn't need to be remade, though.
Old 08-12-08, 03:30 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I had to recast Freddy, I think Robert Knepper (T-Bag on Prison Break) would be my number one choice.
Old 08-12-08, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
If I had to recast Freddy, I think Robert Knepper (T-Bag on Prison Break) would be my number one choice.
+1
Old 08-12-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they should cast the guy from 40 Year Old Virgin who was just arrested. He has apparently really been trying to get into character as Freddy Krueger.
Old 08-12-08, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
I hadn't thought about him in the role before but that would be great casting!

That aside -- I still think if they must remake/reboot this series, they need to go with a younger actor in the role. My pick has always been Ben Foster. I think he would be awesome as Freddy in and out of the makeup.
Old 08-12-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
This name looked familiar from Carnivale (the radio host) and, after looking it up, you're right - he's got a great look for the role.
Old 08-12-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Robert Englund = No sale

I won't revisit the series without him.
Old 08-12-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
No Robert Englund = No sale

I won't revisit the series without him.
I'm sure the studio is fretting about your lack of interest.
Old 08-12-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still no director attached to this one?
Old 08-12-08, 07:48 PM

Maybe if it's ignored, it will disappear....ahahahah

Seriously though, it's like remaking Suspiria. Oh wait...
Old 08-12-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I'm sure the studio is fretting about your lack of interest.
Never said they were, but everyone else is voicing their opinion. Is there a reason why mine would make or break the creation of this film?
Old 08-13-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Billy Bob? Really?

"I aim to kill you with ma blade hand soon as you give me some them tater tots and biscuits with gravy. Mmmm hmmmm."

Pass.
Old 08-13-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it, but for now I'm none too impressed.
Old 08-18-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
The rumor, according to Robert Englund himself, is that BILLY BOB THORNTON will be playing FREDDY.
I love the internet. This from bloody-disgusting:
During an interview with IFMagazine, Englund tells them exactly where he heard these "facts":

"I heard this rumor from a journalist at a press conference during Comic-Con. I think Billy Bob is a terrific actor. I've been a fan since Evening Shade."
Old 08-18-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I love the internet. This from bloody-disgusting:
Yea, but WENN reported it on IMDb! That means it's true!

I love the internet, too. According to WENN Thornton has signed on for the role. Are they kidding with that kind of "reporting"?
Old 08-18-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Robert Englund is notorious for starting ridiculous rumors.
Old 08-25-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From this brief Bloody-Disgusting interview with Wes Craven:
Michael Bays company Platinum Dunes had it, but I believe that is no longer the case.here is a writer on it, I don’t know if it’s a remake or prequel. I don’t have any real information about it.
If Craven has no involvement, there goes my admittedly tepid interest in this. Craven also touched briefly on the Last House on the Left remake:
"I am one of the three producers, we shot in South Africa and some in Los Angeles. The director’s name is Dennis Iliadis, who, if you want to see any of his film HARDCORE, you would have to get a foreign DVD... it's kind of a sad story of two teenage street prostitutes in Athens. We gave him the script and he has done something really really hard hitting, totally loyal to the original, in its theme, but he really made it his own. They had one test screening already and it went through the roof.
Old 08-25-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
From this brief Bloody-Disgusting interview with Wes Craven: If Craven has no involvement, there goes my admittedly tepid interest in this. Craven also touched briefly on the Last House on the Left remake:
I never expected Craven to have any involvement with the new one, seeing as how he barely was involved with the series after part 1. He wrote an early draft of part 3 which was largely re-written, and then of course he did "New Nightmare", but other than that he was absent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.