Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

One and Only CLOVERFIELD reviews thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

One and Only CLOVERFIELD reviews thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-08, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorraffy
And it looks just like I remember from the movie (except maybe the color of the thing)
Yeah pretty much. I also remember is being darker with the funky breathing sacs on the sides of its face.

Didn't they say that the creature was supposed to be a scared Juvenile looking for its parent?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-16-08 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-16-08, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by H8nXTC
It's a street in Santa Monica, the offices are on the corner of Cloverfield and Broadway (about a 1/2 block east of the Playboy west studios), if I recall correctly.
Correct. For many years before she died, my Grandmother lived in Santa Monica just a few blocks from that part of SM. Cloverfield just couple blocks North of the 10 Freeway if I remember right. When I saw the name "Cloverfield" and heard the "Bad Robot" offices were down there it brought back memories. That area has, over the last 20 or so years, become the "hot" area for studios like MTV and others.
Old 02-16-08, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by H8nXTC
It's a street in Santa Monica, the offices are on the corner of Cloverfield and Broadway (about a 1/2 block east of the Playboy west studios), if I recall correctly.

No, I heard it has to do with a drink called "Slusho" made from sea nectar and when you drink it you explode and little baby creatures come out.
Old 02-16-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Didn't they say that the creature was supposed to be a scared Juvenile looking for its parent?
i havent seen that and who are "they"
Old 02-16-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by whotony
I know one has to be careful with Wiki but I could swear I've heard this other places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield_%28creature%29

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/09/...etter-monster/

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-17-08 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-16-08, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
"They" includes the director. He mentioned it in an interview.

Link posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41100
Old 02-24-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Wow, that's ridiculous. Cloverfield was approximately 13,000 times better than The Host. I would never recommend anyone see The Host instead of Cloverfield. Maybe in addition to so you can laugh at how badly The Host mangles a good premise.
Wow. You are r opinion is insane. The Host is awesome.

And you know what? Having slept on it, Cloverfield is awesome. I must be in the absolute molecular minority here, but I wouldn't mind seeing a movie of just the party.

I thought the movie had its flaws, among them ridiculous product placement: "Here, let us rest here and drink some delicious Mountain Dew. Wow, that's refreshment you can really feel!"

But overall? Pretty damn good.
Old 02-24-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
Wow. You are r opinion is insane. The Host is awesome.

And you know what? Having slept on it, Cloverfield is awesome. I must be in the absolute molecular minority here, but I wouldn't mind seeing a movie of just the party.
As I mentioned when the film came out:

The Host. The Mist. Cloverfield.

All three are nearly the same movie.

All three are done in completely, different ways.

All three offer no hope in each of their endings.

All three are the some of the best genre offerings of this decade.

In my opinion, it would go: The Mist > The Host > Cloverfield.

The Host and The Mist are the better made movies, nobody can argue that. However, the last 50 minutes of Cloverfield are some of the most insane shit ever seen in a mainstream PG-13 rated motion picture.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 02-24-08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched this last night with my wife.

10:15 showing- Maybe 8 people in the theater.

Spoiler:
Was glad to see that the monster was not in the film much, this fact alone added to the tension.
Loved the ending and was glad they did not use the typical Hollywood ending where the monster is killed and the main characters survive. I liked the open ended finish to the film. Overall I would say this was better than most films of this type that come out.
Old 02-24-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As I mentioned when the film came out:

The Host. The Mist. Cloverfield.

All three are nearly the same movie.

All three are done in completely, different ways.

All three offer no hope in each of their endings.

All three are the some of the best genre offerings of this decade.

In my opinion, it would go: The Mist > The Host > Cloverfield.

The Host and The Mist are the better made movies, nobody can argue that. However, the last 50 minutes of Cloverfield are some of the most insane shit ever seen in a mainstream PG-13 rated motion picture.
I can. While they were more complete films, I don't think The Host or The Mist were necessarily better made. The Host especially had some serious pacing and tone issues.
Old 02-24-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
The Host especially had some serious pacing and tone issues.
I disagree.

The Host, at it's core, is a movie about a family and their relationships with one another -- at the same time a monster is attacking South Korea who has taken one of their relatives. The film happens to be dark at times and then again, very light as it makes fun of the absurdities of the situation around them. Maybe the film is too "self-aware" for it's own good, but unlike Cloverfield, it knows how to start the mayhem and how to build it's characters to the ending in which there may be not be happiness.

The Mist is paced in a similar way, but just more intense and fast paced than The Host. Set everything up and pull the carpet under from everyone. It's a much darker based film than The Host as it's less man versus thing, but man versus man. Just like the former, when people bite it, you feel it (let it be enthusiasm or sheer heartbreak).

Cloverfield has a terrible first act. For a film of it's nature, the premise should be built up that Rob is leaving for Japan and he needs to rescue the girl of his dreams. That can be done in five minutes, not twenty-five. I love the fifty minutes that follow it, but there is some major editing that needs to be done to that first act.
Old 02-24-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And thats fine, was just saying you had a very presumptuous comment in your initial post there I just didn't really enjoy The Host and have a far more objective view on it.
Old 03-10-08, 03:44 PM

I missed this film at the picture show, but I did watch a "all monster moments" on Youtube. It won't spoil my enjoyment of the film, however. I will check out the DVD as soon as it premiers, however.
Looks nifty. The monster design is nice. The "mites/parasites" - I love the idea save for the squealing sound they made (many films make their spider creatures have this same type of sound). It would have been cool if they were silent.
A sequel idea: how about having a low-budget movie crew making a monster movie on this very same night (using a steadicam, of course - a monster movie within a monster movie within a monster movie, lol) and put this footage throughout the main action of the film where the creature(s) are soon to show up in a different, coastal location.
Old 03-10-08, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah pretty much. I also remember is being darker with the funky breathing sacs on the sides of its face.

Oh, really? Hmmmmm - the last thing I like in a horror movie is where the lead villian is made somehow sympathetic or its reasons justified in such a way (ie. it's just scared - it's really just frightened of its surroundings, ect). Too wimpy and takes away the scare factor for me - I like an all-out EVIL movie villian.
Old 03-10-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Originally Posted by wago70
Oh, really? Hmmmmm - the last thing I like in a horror movie is where the lead villian is made somehow sympathetic or its reasons justified in such a way (ie. it's just scared - it's really just frightened of its surroundings, ect). Too wimpy and takes away the scare factor for me - I like an all-out EVIL movie villian.
But typically, monsters/kaiju aren't evil. They just wreak a lot of havoc for their size and then become agitated when the humans try to do something to it. I think the only evil monster would be Mecha-Godzilla.. but because he is built and controlled evil aliens. Gigan, Megalon and Monster X/Ghidorah also fall under this.
Old 03-10-08, 05:12 PM

I know - hence me never being really scared in monster movies. But I do, indeed, love them! I just (re) watched 20 Million Miles to Earth and that shot of the man grabbing the miniature/baby (like it were a toy) Ymir broke my heart. It's so little!
I'm hoping the DVD will have some backstory creature footage (creation, building, designing) by the effects artists. Shoot - It was all CGI wasn't it, lol! I just want to see more.
I remember seeing a chart in an old movie magazine that had a chart of the spaceship from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" showing its components, ect. I'd like to see something like that on the DVD in regards to the creature(s).
Bring it on!
Old 03-10-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Originally Posted by wago70
I know - hence me never being really scared in monster movies. But I do, indeed, love them!
I think it's the way they are presented. Typical monster/kaiju movies are shot from a distance so we can see the size of them. Their scale against a city, so it's not as frightening. However, Cloverfield gave the viewer a different perspective that seemed to put you in the middle of the action (I have yet to see The Host or The Mist) that got me to tense up and made my brain start running scenarios as to what I would do in their situation.
Old 03-10-08, 06:14 PM
Suspended

I've never seen a Godzilla movie (or Cloverfield) for that matter. I probably should work on that...
Old 03-10-08, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I think it's the way they are presented. Typical monster/kaiju movies are shot from a distance so we can see the size of them. Their scale against a city, so it's not as frightening. However, Cloverfield gave the viewer a different perspective that seemed to put you in the middle of the action (I have yet to see The Host or The Mist) that got me to tense up and made my brain start running scenarios as to what I would do in their situation.
BRIDGE SCENE - wonderful! Loved it.
Old 03-22-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got back from this movie and absolutely loved it. It was very tense and I thought the pace was perfect. Im with The Bus on this one and could watch a lot more of the party scene.

The only question I have is what happened to cause such a big riff between Rob and Beth. Also Maybe I missed it but how far apart was the time between the morning when they woke up and the party. Was it months apart?
Old 03-23-08, 12:37 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
^^^ It was around a month I think.
Old 03-23-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.dneg.com/projects/cloverfield_98.html

Visual effects show reel from double negative, some cool stuff (I'm sure parts will be on the DVD).
Old 03-23-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wow, i had no idea that the bridge scene was filmed in a small green room...very impressive.
Old 03-23-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice!
Old 03-23-08, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by old-boo-radley
I've never seen a Godzilla movie...

DAMN! I don't remember a time in my life without Godzilla (I'm 44). There's been about 30 of them made since 1954. And there's pretty much something for everyone; some titles are more kid-oriented ("Son Of Godzilla"), others more for older kids or adults ("Godzilla vs. Biollante"). And when I said "something for everyone", I guess I mean something for everyone who can enjoy watching a man in a rubber suit destroy model kit cities.

That said, I enjoyed Cloverfield pretty well. About a 7 out of 10 on the giant monster scale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.