Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

One and Only CLOVERFIELD reviews thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

One and Only CLOVERFIELD reviews thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 10:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I totally understand that there are different strokes for different folks, but comparing Godzilla 98 to Cloverfield is like comparing White Chicks to Citizen Kane.

Slight exaggeration obviously. I like Godzilla 98 more than most actually, rate it a 5/10. Cloverfield is solidly in the 7-8 range.
Old 04-29-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, I've gotta jump in here. No WAY is GINO '98 (I refuse to call it Godzilla) better than Cloverfield. Cloverfield felt real, and it was very intense. GINO was too overly comedic, poorly written, poorly acted and made with little care for the subject matter. It's obvious with Cloverfield that the filmmakers and writer are big fans of kaiju films. The monster may not have been as iconic as we had hoped, but it was a huge, fierce beast that was a monstrous force. GINO was a big dumb lizard that was too scared to fight and ran during most attacks. The REAL Godzilla would've handed our military it's ass in about 5 minutes. The only people that could possibly think GINO is a better film are those who don't like having to think about movies. Unless everything is explained in nauseating detail, they don't like it. GINO was OVER-explained. Cloverfield may have been under-explained, but that held a big part of it's charm.
Old 04-29-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Godzilla 98 is one of the worst films ever made and I never knew there was actually somebody on this planet that liked it.
Old 04-29-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Remember this campaign?

In retrospect, I felt sympathy for G98. I wanted her to trample all those idiot NYers portrayed in the movie. I rooted for her and felt bad that her kids had MSG to call home.

In Cloverfield, I'm not given time to feel sympathy for either monster or humans, everything was about reaction. Reacting to things that some dude that happened to have a hand held camera rolling, witnessing and participating in this catastrophic event. It's no different than the news cameramen running around below the WTC capturing the moment of 9/11 not fully realizing what's going on. We at home had some idea through the news being piped through our radios and televisions, but just think about that news cameraman or that tourist recording his/her family on vacation.

With that idea, I can see a sequel of sorts where we have another POV from another person with a hand held, to a news crew, to the military documenting everything. They can shoot it in such a way like Greengrass did for United 93. In a way that makes you feel right there, standing next to a person. This film wasn't about a locked down beauty pass, nor was it about coverage from different angles to capture the best shot, or lighting, or anything that resembled cinematography (of course, it's there.) This film was about capturing the experience and reaction from a group that happened to have recorded it all on a little hand held video camera.

Oh, and I finally got to see The Mist and I love it on its own. However, it's very different from Cloverfield and has more in common with The Host. I love and enjoyed all 3 movies. Of course, I thought the Mist was more about a character study than being a monster movie. It reminded me alot of the Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street".

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-29-08 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 05:05 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(BTW, Godzilla is a real film whereas Cloverfield is little more than a cute niche marketing novelty aimed at ADD sufferers.)

I received this e-mail form message from Michael Giacchino who must have read how I liked his overture in this thread:

iTUNES TO RELEASE MUSIC WRITTEN BY MICHAEL GIACCHINO FROM PARAMOUNT PICTURES’ “CLOVERFIELD”

HOLLYWOOD, CA – April 23, 2008 – On April 29th, iTunes will release the end credits overture from "Cloverfield" by Michael Giacchino. For the first time, the full length orchestral piece, entitled "ROAR!", will be available exclusively from iTunes paralleling the release of the film for download.

Giacchino’s “ROAR!” showcases an epic monster movie style, one that captivated audience members throughout the end credits. The film version of “ROAR!” totaled 9:45. The iTunes release finally makes available the full length, unedited piece that runs 12:15.

About the film
“Cloverfield” released theatrically on January 18, 2008. Directed by Matt Reeves, produced by J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk, and written by Drew Goddard, it stars Lizzy Caplan, T.J. Miller, Michael Stahl-David, Odette Yustman and Jessica Lucas. The film follows five young New Yorkers who throw their friend a going-away party on the same night a gigantic monster attacks the city. The film broke box office records on its opening weekend, totaling over $40 million.

About Michael Giacchino
Michael Giacchino recently garnered an Academy Award nomination, and won a Grammy for his score for Pixar’s “Ratatouille”. His previous film scores include “Mission Impossible III”, “The Family Stone” and Pixar’s “The Incredibles.” His work has been enjoyed on television in the shows Alias and LOST, for which he won an Emmy in 2006. In addition to film and television work, he is well known for his scores for video games such as “Medal of Honor”, “Call of Duty”, and Steven Spielberg’s “Lost World.”
Upcoming projects include May’s release of The Wachowski Brothers’ “Speed Racer” and “Star Trek” directed by JJ Abrams.

If you'd like to announce this on your website we can give you any further details and provide you with a link that would direct the reader into their iTunes browser to the download page.

Last edited by baracine; 04-29-08 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts
So are there two monsters?? The one at the end (during the close up) looks completely different (and smaller) from the one that attacked the city.
Old 05-01-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rival11
So are there two monsters?? The one at the end (during the close up) looks completely different (and smaller) from the one that attacked the city.
I agree the monster does look different when it's about to munch Hud, but the producers have clearly stated there is just one monster.
Old 05-01-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I agree the monster does look different when it's about to munch Hud, but the producers have clearly stated there is just one monster.
Cool, thanks. I'm not one to dig too much into the little details (in this case it would be major) like many are (nothing wrong with it, I just don't do it) so I thought I'd just ask here.

I actually perfer it that way and I didn't really think so considering JJ wanted HIS OWN monster movie.
Old 05-03-08, 01:35 PM

Newbie here, but if anyone still wanted to follow the story arc, check out http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com. There's some pretty interesting stuff on there, especially lately.
Old 05-03-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by richie
Newbie here, but if anyone still wanted to follow the story arc, check out http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com. There's some pretty interesting stuff on there, especially lately.
Cool. Thanks for that. The more I think about, I'm so glad this film didn't follow the traditional polished mainstream monster movie formula. The main hype for this film was all online and it's so funny to see (for me anyway) people complain that they did not get something different.

I don't look too much into the extras on things but I love how this film has developed a following based on all the imagenry material floating around out there.

Personally, I think it just shows that the filmmakers give a shit and want to try and get everyone caught up in it. I also love how even the back of the DVD case gives you absolutely no description of what the film is about.
Old 05-17-08, 08:45 AM

I watched Cloverfield last night and I really don't understand the amount of praise the film has received. The best thing about it is that it barely takes up an hour of your time.

I'd watch Frontier(s) before I watched Cloverfield again.
Old 05-17-08, 09:04 AM
Banned

I didn't like the movie. Only when they show glimpses of the monster is it intense, but then the monster is shown it's crap. I prefer SON OF GODZILLA look instead.
Old 05-18-08, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cloverfield - one of the most entertainng of the year so far.
Old 05-19-08, 09:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Cloverfield - one of the most entertainng of the year so far.
It's been a weak year so far. Iron Man and Cloverfield are the two best so far, and they are B films at best. Solid B, very entertaining imo, but not classic or great movies. I've seen a bunch of movies this year, and can't imagine any of them being best picture nominees.
Old 05-19-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vcuram
I watched Cloverfield last night and I really don't understand the amount of praise the film has received. The best thing about it is that it barely takes up an hour of your time.
I thought Cloverfield was alright, but nothing great. I really like J.J. Abrams, but this was pretty mediocre. Some scenes were kind of interesting and some scenes were just boring (like that really long party scene).

I liked the monster, but we didn't see much of him at all. I can see that they're trying to make him look mysterious and real scary, but it just didn't work. I didn't care about anyone except for T.J. Miller's character either.

It was indeed a good idea seeing something bad happen from the view of a hand-held camera. I just didn't think the movie was all that entertaining.

Originally Posted by vcuram
I'd watch Frontier(s) before I watched Cloverfield again.
I haven't seen Frontier(s) (damn ads ), but it looks more interesting.
Old 05-19-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
It's been a weak year so far. Iron Man and Cloverfield are the two best so far, and they are B films at best. Solid B, very entertaining imo, but not classic or great movies. I've seen a bunch of movies this year, and can't imagine any of them being best picture nominees.
More and more studios are moving their A-grade pics to the end of the year so they're remembered for the Oscars. They don't want their movie to turn out like Zodiac (High praise from critics and fans alike (though poor BO), totally ignored at the end of the year.)

I enjoyed Cloverfield a great deal, but can see why some people can't surrender to it and enjoy it the same way I did. Still, one of the more effective movies this year, though I think the highly split public will take out their dislike of it on the upcoming [REC] remake, Quarantine.
Old 02-02-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: One and Only CLOVERFIELD reviews thread!

I'm 40 minutes in and this film is irritating the hell out me.

"Hey Rob!!! Hey Rob!!"

This pathetic, weak minded idiot who can't make a move without Rob, the other idiots who can only follow Rob the Great. Not the military or other authorities. So they have to follow him back into town.

What glue huffing moron thought this was a plot?

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 02-02-09 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 08:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

looking back now, it's probably the most fun I had at the theater. I was very much into it the whole time. though I'd have to see it again on a nice home theater or something, because there's no way this looks that good on a regular tv.
Old 02-02-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I'm 40 minutes in and this film is irritating the hell out me.

"Hey Rob!!! Hey Rob!!"

This pathetic, weak minded idiot who can't make a move without Rob, the other idiots who can only follow Rob the Great. Not the military or other authorities. So they have to follow him back into town.

What glue huffing moron thought this was a plot?
If you're watching Cloverfield for the plot and character development, you should probably stop now. You're not going to get any. It's a fucking giant monster movie! And one that I thought was fantastic.
Old 02-02-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
looking back now, it's probably the most fun I had at the theater. I was very much into it the whole time.
Same here. It truly was an experience, and one that will be hard to top.