DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   One and Only CLOVERFIELD reviews thread! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/522628-one-only-cloverfield-reviews-thread.html)

The Antipodean 01-14-08 10:04 PM

One and Only CLOVERFIELD reviews thread!

...Because who really wants to wade through 22 pages of pre-release rumors <a href="http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=505326&page=1&pp=25">in this thread</a> to find out what people think of the ACTUAL MOVIE? ;)

So, um, any reviews yet? :D

Joe Molotov 01-14-08 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
...Because who really wants to wade through 22 pages of pre-release rumors <a href="http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=505326&page=1&pp=25">in this thread</a> to find out what people think of the ACTUAL MOVIE? ;)

So, um, any reviews yet? :D

Harry Knowles was slobbing it's knob, but that's the only one I've seen.

joeee 01-14-08 10:48 PM

what the hell is this movie even about? the commercials never mention a plot.

redrum 01-14-08 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by joeee
what the hell is this movie even about? the commercials never mention a plot.

http://uk.hollywood.com/films/ghostb..._Stay_Puff.jpg

Rogue588 01-14-08 11:13 PM

Is the whole thing shot in the Blair Witch/Rob Zombie format?

cinta5 01-14-08 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Is the whole thing shot in the Blair Witch/Rob Zombie format?

From what I've heard yes. I've also heard a lot of people have gotten sick from it. Sucks.

Jackskeleton 01-15-08 12:10 AM

It was a good film. Very much keeps you on the edge of your seats once the action gets started.

I would relate it as if you're in the middle of a Half Life game. it makes you feel like you're in the middle of all this situation.

Backstory/ARG connection
Spoiler:
The monster is not explained. No origin and no real big mention to the ARG. You get to see a lot of shots of a slusho shirt, but otherwise, the ARG is just side stuff you really didn't need to know.

About the monster
Spoiler:
The monster is in the film a lot. It's big and the shots you do get of him go from small to having him right in your face at the very end. It's amazing and cool. The effects are well done.

The story
there's really no plot other than get from point A to B while staying alive. You don't get much character development other than Survive and run. It pits you to ground zero of this situation and lets you see it first hand and it really does a good job at it.

It's really a great film. You don't see half of the shit coming but then all of a sudden a rocket goes right over your head and heads straight forward this monster you didn't even realize was in the distance and you know, damn this is a good movie going experience.

I'm sure there will be folks complaining about the blair witch style, especially since when I saw it, one of the few things most mentioned was motion sickness at certain points with this whole hand held camera angle which is during the whole film.

Arpeggi 01-15-08 12:56 AM

I would give this film 1 star or a grade of D.

FinkPish 01-15-08 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
I would give this film 1 star or a grade of D.

Any specific reasons for those of us who haven't seen it yet?

PopcornTreeCt 01-15-08 03:08 AM

Is it Blair Witch shaky cam or Children of Men shaky cam?

Big difference.

BuddhaWake 01-15-08 07:02 AM

i would say is more blair witch. and the movie is shot entirely like that. so bring your barf bag but like Jackskeleton it keeps you in the edge and the short running time helps. just don't sit too close to the screen. I thought the effects were awesome and although it takes a bit to get started it really does get started with a bang.

Rogue588 01-15-08 08:26 AM

Damn, man. I didn't handle Blair Witch too well.

baracine 01-15-08 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The story
there's really no plot other than get from point A to B while staying alive. You don't get much character development other than Survive and run. It pits you to ground zero of this situation and lets you see it first hand and it really does a good job at it.

Translation: It's a video game.:D

And you've just confirmed the validity of this early anonymous blow-by-blow review:

http://hideousblog.blogspot.com/2007...ld-review.html

Jackskeleton 01-15-08 09:24 AM

That blow by blow.. Blows. That person is full of it as that's not how any of it goes down.

Jaime and Teddy and the whole ARG in general is just not even worth noting as it doesn't show up much, if any at all in there. Slusho shirt is in there, yes. But we knew that from the teaser. The only connection to the ARG is you see a tagruato company only shows up in one symbol on a turned over tanker. nothing else.

So that blow by blow.. totally denied. It's fake.

baracine 01-15-08 09:54 AM

That blow by blow.. Blows. That person is full of it as that's not how any of it goes down.

Jaime and Teddy and the whole ARG in general is just not even worth noting as it doesn't show up much, if any at all in there. Slusho shirt is in there, yes. But we knew that from the teaser. The only connection to the ARG is you see a tagruato company only shows up in one symbol on a turned over tanker. nothing else.

So I suppose there is no Tagruato/Slusho press conference at the beginning of the film and that we have been (gulp) lied to...

BuddhaWake 01-15-08 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by baracine
So I suppose there is no Tagruato/Slusho press conference at the beginning of the film and that we have been (gulp) lied to...

Spoiler:
not at all. the film starts as it if were a government classified video. like maybe something they found in a crash site or something and someone is watching it without editing it or fast forwarding like in a cop show. is like archival footage to an extent. It gives the idea (at least to me) that the government might be reviewing any tapes found in NYC to see what the hell happened.

BuddhaWake 01-15-08 10:05 AM

it is fake. that dude must have all imagined it unless there are 2 totally different movies around. BTW. they are showing preview screenings in Philly for 3 straight days. I guess word of mouth is the thing that will make it buyable. I have another pass for today but I'm still a little dizzie from last night. I know someone couldn't handle it and threw up. damn.

baracine 01-15-08 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
it is fake. that dude must have all imagined it unless there are 2 totally different movies around. BTW. they are showing preview screenings in Philly for 3 straight days. I guess word of mouth is the thing that will make it buyable. I have another pass for today but I'm still a little dizzie from last night. I know someone couldn't handle it and threw up. damn.

But we saw all those previews and excerpts where the character (Robby?) is leaving for Japan (to work for Slusho) and that is why his friends are throwing him a party and (as Miss South Carolina would say) everywhere, like, such as...

Then again maybe they tinkered with the film a lot to shorten it and dumb it down as much as possible for the theatrical presentation and still have lots of stuff left for a 4-disc Ultimate DVD Edition, with possibly a 5th bonus disc: The Hype Campaign.:D

baracine 01-15-08 12:03 PM

Posted today:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GZWO2HWVO1k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GZWO2HWVO1k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Antipodean 01-15-08 12:28 PM

For the ignorant: What the hell is an ARG?

baracine 01-15-08 12:33 PM

Alternate Reality Game. It used to be called "a tall tale", now it's an industry. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game

Mazje 01-15-08 01:03 PM

So, (and this isn't meant to start a fight) but Baracine, why do you seem so down on this movie? Your posts just seem like you don't think real highly of this movie, but you keep on posting about it? If I'm wrong, sorry, and I apologize and will delete this post. Again, not arguing, just asking.

Having said that, I'm surprised more big reviews haven't surfaced. When do the advance/press screenings begin for this?

RichC2 01-15-08 01:13 PM

Baracine is down on everything (especially if it has anything relating to the US/US Film Industry), it's nothing new, he's a pro at underhanded subtle (okay not really) threadcrapping.

baracine 01-15-08 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by darthlurker
So, (and this isn't meant to start a fight) but Baracine, why do you seem so down on this movie? Your posts just seem like you don't think real highly of this movie, but you keep on posting about it? If I'm wrong, sorry, and I apologize and will delete this post. Again, not arguing, just asking.

Having said that, I'm surprised more big reviews haven't surfaced. When do the advance/press screenings begin for this?

I don't have anything against this movie. I have been studying the hype campaign closely for a long time and am just now finding out that all the intricate clues that have been left for us to analyze turn out to be false. The finished film appears to have nothing whatsoever to do with the suggested back story about ecology, the eco-rape of the world's oceans and big bad polluting international corporations.

It now appears to be (besides a rip-off of Godzilla and The Host) a simple 80-minutes nausea-inducing clip of a survival video game about Manhattan pedestrians trying to avoid falling objects. And that's pretty dumb. That's like the film industry deciding to do without writers altogether.

Mazje 01-15-08 02:28 PM

I think most of these ARG's are just supposed to be fun ways to keep people interested/talking/hyped/whatever about the movie/tv show itself, not really spoil the plot of the film for people. If I remember, AI's game had almost nothing to do with the plot itself.

As for the movie itself, what's wrong with a movie about a big monster leveling a city? Is it Oscar-worthy? No. Will it be fun to watch for 90 minutes? Should be (unless it's like the terrible, terrible "Godzilla" remake).

Not every movie produced has to be "art." Sometimes, it's ok just to be "fun."