Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

You Don't Mess with the Zohan (Dugan, 2007) — Apatow's Adam Sandler movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

You Don't Mess with the Zohan (Dugan, 2007) — Apatow's Adam Sandler movie

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, this does not need to become a shoot em up thread (and, despite what you may think, that movie sucks and does not deserve 3 1/2 stars. In fact if someone told me they thought shoot em up was a 3 1/2 star movie and blow was a 2 1/2, I would probably never take their advice on movies again. I realize it is all relative, but over the top action was done much better in, say, Con Air or Bad Boys 2). Ebert also gave Hitman 3 stars. Enough said, he's no longer a trustworthy critic.
Old 06-10-08, 01:12 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
considering your user name, I'm surprised you haven't seen the movie.
Old 06-10-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Ebert hasn't been a credible movie critic for almost a decade (since Siskel passed away). He gave Shoot Em' Up 3 1/2 stars for cryin out loud! Yet Blow only got 2 1/2 stars (just to show you how much he's off). Anyways, I saw Zohan last night and wasn't too impressed. Has some funny moments but it never reaches the level of a great comedy ala Superbad or Happy Gilmore.
Old 06-10-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, this does not need to become a shoot em up thread (and, despite what you may think, that movie sucks and does not deserve 3 1/2 stars. In fact if someone told me they thought shoot em up was a 3 1/2 star movie and blow was a 2 1/2, I would probably never take their advice on movies again. I realize it is all relative, but over the top action was done much better in, say, Con Air or Bad Boys 2). Ebert also gave Hitman 3 stars. Enough said, he's no longer a trustworthy critic.
Funny how you say it doesn't need to become a Shoot 'Em Up Thread, and yet that's all you were talking about in your post...

Anyway, I like Con Air as much as the next guy, and Bad Boys II is a great action flick, but neither of them is on the same level as Shoot 'Em Up as far as "over the top action." Aside from the Plane Crash in Con Air, I don't think anything was that over the top. And in Bad Boys II there was a lot of over the top car driving and crashes, but not too much stuff was unbelievable as far as shootouts were concerned.

But Shoot 'Em Up...come on, it had a baby in a bullet proof vest, an entire shooting sequence during sex, using carrots as weapons, chopping a guy's hand off to shoot his gun...and that's just to name a few. That is much more over the top than the two movies you mentioned.

Back to the thread topic though. You Don't Mess With The Zohan might not be the best comedy Adam Sandler has ever done, but it is one of his better comedies in a long while. And for what it's worth, it was a great rebound from the disaster that was I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry.

Last edited by kstublen; 06-10-08 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 02:23 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I realize it is all relative, but over the top action was done much better in, say, Con Air or Bad Boys 2).
I'll agree with you about Bad Boys 2, but I'd watch Shoot 'Em Up five times in a row before I ever sat through Con Air again.
Old 06-11-08, 01:33 AM

Bad Boys 2 sucked. standard action that tried to be hip with bullet-time, and simply not very funny.
Old 06-11-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Matter of opinion I guess because I thought Bad Boys 2 was at least 10 times funnier than Zohan (which this thread is about).
Old 06-11-08, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Matter of opinion I guess because I thought Bad Boys 2 was at least 10 times funnier than Zohan (which this thread is about).
only brought up BB2 because others did. the original was way, way better.
Old 06-11-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ I know...just thought I'd try to get this thread back on topic in general, it certainly wasn't just you
Old 07-30-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
The wife and I saw this tonight. Terrible fucking movie. My wife is a huge Sandler fan and found nothing redeeming about this whatsoever. Personally, I was fighting off the urge to just give up on it the whole time.
Old 07-30-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't even know this was still playing.

It left the cheap shows here a couple of weeks ago.
Old 12-07-09, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: You Don't Mess with the Zohan (Dugan, 2007) — Apatow's Adam Sandler movie

Finally watched this. I thought it was excellent. I can see myself watching it a lot. On par with Sandler's pre-Little Nicky movies. I credit the collaboration of Sandler, Dugan, Apatow and Smigel.
Old 12-07-09, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: You Don't Mess with the Zohan (Dugan, 2007) — Apatow's Adam Sandler movie

^

For the record...it is a dreadful film.