Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

You Don't Mess with the Zohan (Dugan, 2007) Apatow's Adam Sandler movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

You Don't Mess with the Zohan (Dugan, 2007) Apatow's Adam Sandler movie

Old 06-06-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
For what it's worth, it does look better than The Love Guru. So, uh, it's got that going for it.
True, The Love Guru looks atrocious.
Old 06-06-08, 11:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Ebert liked it. going to see it tomorrow with the fam.
Old 06-06-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this a great film, no, not really, but it's a ludicrous film in the best way. If you see it with a crowd primed to have a good time, it's likely you'll have a good time with all the nuttiness and hijinks sprinkled throughout the film. Sure, it's got a lot of groin-related humor intertwined with the Zohan haircutting treatments, but there are attempts to call for peace in the middle east from outlandish directions. I LOL quite a bit throughout the film, though Rob Schneider's character practically stops the film in its track in the first 2/3 of the film. Adam Sandler's performance is up to par with typical expectations, and game for almost anything. Treat it like a absurdist fable, and it might work for you.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Last edited by Patman; 06-06-08 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-07-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got back from seeing this. Here are my thoughts...

I went into this movie with VERY LOW expectations. I love Adam Sandler movies, and think he is a very funny actor/comedian, but this seemed like it would be the most disappointing thing he has done since Little Nicky (although not quite as bad as that). I was pleasantly surprised. I would have never paid to see this in theater (again, I had a free movie ticket for this movie), but I would have purchased it eventually and watched it then.

That being said, I thought it was a very funny movie. You have to go into it expecting the absurd and unbelievable, otherwise you will likely be disappointed. I thought Adam Sandler was back to his usual comedic self in the role of Zohan. Had some good cameos as well. I actually think this is one of Adam Sander's better film (I am excluding Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish, and Reign Over Me in comparison); I would say it is right up there with Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, and Big Daddy.

There were A LOT of racist/stereotype jokes, so if that offends you I wouldn't necessarily recommend seeing it, but despite all of that, or maybe even because of it, the overall message worked out well. I found myself laughing a lot during the movie, and I think most people will find Sandler's performance to be really funny. As long as you aren't going into this looking for an award winning piece of cinema, then you won't be disappointed. And besides that, it's better than a lot of the shitty "comedies" that have been released as of late.
Old 06-07-08, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me and the woman thought it was horrible, boring, and generally unfunny. There were maybe two parts that we laughed at, and I can't even recall the jokes.

Miss.

= J
Old 06-07-08, 04:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I expected to hate it, but ended up enjoying it once I accepted its style. This is really more like Naked Gun type humor than a typical Sandler film. Not a direct spoof, but just the purposely over-the-top and ridiculous humor. If you go in expecting any degree of realism, you're going to be very disappointed. It was far from perfect, but I'd take this over Chuck and Larry any day.
Old 06-07-08, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
I expected to hate it, but ended up enjoying it once I accepted its style. This is really more like Naked Gun type humor than a typical Sandler film. Not a direct spoof, but just the purposely over-the-top and ridiculous humor. If you go in expecting any degree of realism, you're going to be very disappointed.
my thoughts exactly.

this movie was a lot of fun. I laughed loudly and often. it is definitely one of Sandler's better comedies. his last few, The Longest Yard, Click, and Chuck and Larry I didn't even see, as those didn't look that interesting. the "plot" of Zohan was actually well done, if not really too important, but of course that wasn't the point.

the supporting cast was very good (especially Nick Swardson), though I must admit that Rob Schneider's character wore thin pretty. his multiple-jobs-at-once thing was pretty funny though.
Old 06-07-08, 11:22 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I thought the first half was terrific. The movie went downhill in the last 40 minutes with some ridiculous boring stuff. But I still give it a reccomendation. The frequent and unneccesary sex scenes with the many older women and Sandler were repetitive and ridiculous.
Old 06-07-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

lol @ the message boards on IMDB calling it Zionist propaganda.
Old 06-08-08, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't laugh once. Constant, repetitive, unfunny jokes. Sandler's on his way down when it comes to his comedies. First Chuck and Larry, now this. I walked out of the theater at the phone scene where Schneider is dialing all the numbers. I gave it too long of a chance.

The Benchwarmers and Zohan both gave me this vibe that its comedy style was aimed more towards children, but then again they would have hugely inappropriate sex jokes for a kids movie.

Bleh, I should have went with my instinct from the trailer... it looked bad.
Old 06-08-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
Yes, but Ebert is very happy to still be alive and thus, likes everything these days. (Have gave four stars to the fucking Golden Compass).
Old 06-08-08, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by hardercore
Yes, but Ebert is very happy to still be alive and thus, likes everything these days. (Have gave four stars to the fucking Golden Compass).
well, if you actually went to his website and looked at his star ratings, you'd know that isn't true.

I'm sorry you're not happy to be alive.
Old 06-09-08, 10:45 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I enjoyed it, thought it was a fun summer comedy, not to the standard of comedies as we currently expect, but it had good cameos, and Emmanuelle Chriqui is the hottest woman in tv/movies.
Old 06-09-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Emmanuelle Chriqui is the hottest woman in tv/movies.
She does make stiff the Zohan...
Old 06-09-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Her acting certainly is stiff anyhow.
Old 06-09-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Wow, you guys are brutal. We went to a double feature at the drive-in Sat night with Zohan and Indiana Jones, and if I were to sit down and make a real professional reviewer style review, I think I'd grade Zohan higher than IJ.

Zohan was just silly, Adam Sandler fun and Indiana Jones was a completely unneccesary film. It's pretty obvious Lucas wants to carry on the series with the kid as the main character, but I just don't see it. And I thought the actor was fine in the role, it just didn't seem to be a very meaty role. Ford took way too much abuse for a man his age, and once they were past the truck scene, Marion had nothing to do.
Old 06-09-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
Ebert hasn't been a credible movie critic for almost a decade (since Siskel passed away). He gave Shoot Em' Up 3 1/2 stars for cryin out loud! Yet Blow only got 2 1/2 stars (just to show you how much he's off). Anyways, I saw Zohan last night and wasn't too impressed. Has some funny moments but it never reaches the level of a great comedy ala Superbad or Happy Gilmore.
Old 06-09-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Ebert hasn't been a credible movie critic for almost a decade (since Siskel passed away). He gave Shoot Em' Up 3 1/2 stars for cryin out loud! Yet Blow only got 2 1/2 stars (just to show you how much he's off). Anyways, I saw Zohan last night and wasn't too impressed. Has some funny moments but it never reaches the level of a great comedy ala Superbad or Happy Gilmore.
If you bothered to read Ebert past the star ratings you'd know that his star ratings are all relative, so you can't compare a serious drama to a broad comedy.
Old 06-09-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
If you bothered to read Ebert past the star ratings you'd know that his star ratings are all relative, so you can't compare a serious drama to a broad comedy.
Still there's no way any respectable critic could give Shoot Em Up 3 1/2 stars
Old 06-09-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the type of movie Shoot 'Em Up was, it was awesome. One of the best action with no real plot or story movies I've seen in a LONG time. Not to mention it had some of the most innovative fight/shootout sequences.
Old 06-09-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
He liked it because it started at over the top and blew the roof off it as it progressed. I agreed and it was a blast.

It's nice to have a critic that judges movies based on how much they actually enjoyed it. In 30+ years of film making, I'm sure he's seen dozens of movies just like Blow, many likely better, the same can't be said for Shoot 'em Up.

But before this becomes a Shoot 'em up thread, yeah, he liked Zohan, so be it.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-09-08 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 02:55 AM

glad to know others on here understand where Ebert is coming from, and don't solely look the star ratings so seriously.
Old 06-10-08, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this movie. It was awesome. I have to say I enjoyed it more than Kung Fu Panda. And may I say that I've never seen Adam Sandler looking that hot
Old 06-10-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was nice to see that some of America's Muslim comedians were cast in the movie as well...Check out the PBS program - Stand Up: Muslim-American Comics Come of Age.
Old 06-10-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
Was let down after a promising beginning. Some scenes went on a bit too long trying to milk a laugh.

Emmanuelle was the only thing really keeping me in my seat towards the ending, which was quite predictable.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.