Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Walk Hard- The Trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Walk Hard- The Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-07, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That shot is a parody of the Jim Morrison pic on the cover of the Door's hits compilation. And it's still not funny.
Old 12-25-07, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hillarious frickn' movie. Jack Black as Paul McCartney was comedic genius. Judging from the scenes in the trailer that were not in the movie, I predict a two-hour "Unrated" "Director's Cut" DVD is inevitable.
Old 12-25-07, 09:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I loved the trailer, but that first ten minutes is painfully bad. I'm sitting on 40 or so free movie tickets, and love John C. Reilly, but will still skip this one in the theaters. I'll probably wait to sub$5 CH it.
Old 12-26-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was really disappointed by this. There were a number of good bits but just as many that were misfires. I feel compelled to list some of the things that I didn't like, because they're bugging me ...

Spoiler:
I thought Jenna Fischer was overmatched in the role. If she and Kristen Wiig (who I thought had the best handle of the entire cast on the tone needed) had switched roles, I think it would have been much better. I love Jenna to death on The Office, but she wasn't very good here.

The movie didn't seem to want to go for a full-out Airplane!/Scary Movie style assualt of over the top jokes, but there were some, and I thought they were jarring. The Jewish record execs, the cutting of bodies in half, and a couple of other things didn't mesh with the more low-key and subtle tone of most of the movie. I think the filmakers were going for the feel of "All You Need Is Cash" (the Rutles film); if so, the over the top gags didn't fit in.

Repeating a bad joke doesn't make it funny. The "wrong kid died", sink-smashing, and drugs-in-the-bathroom jokes were just leaden, and they kept coming again and again.

I was thrilled to see John Micheal Higgins as the Sam Phillips-type character (perfect casting, he resembles him quite a bit), but the rest of that scene fell flat. He says they have 15 seconds to record, and then they gab on about something for longer than that? I get that the band picking up immediately on the complicated lyrics of the song was a joke, but I couldn't help but wonder if I was supposed to think that they had rehearsed beforehand.

I have never found Tim Meadows to be funny in anything I have seen him in, and he wasn't here.

Why is Frankie Muniz as Buddy Holly supposed to be funny? It's just strange ... Holly wasn't short, he died at age 22 but I never thought he looked particularly baby-faced, in fact he seemed older than his years in the few clips that exist of him. Can someone explain the joke to me?

Seeing Jack Black as Paul McCartney was just painful, especially since Paul Rudd and Jason Schwartzman were terrific as John and Ringo (Justin Long as George was good, but those two were fantastic). Now I get that Black doesn't resemble McCartney, and that's certainly part of the joke, but since he didn't really sound like Paul either, and in fact his Liverpool accent came and went, I didn't know exactly what to think. Maybe if he had just played it as Jack Black it would have worked better.

Bobby Shad and the Bad Men were an actual early 70s studio group that specialized in quasi-easy listening versions of rock hits. That this was used for a group name in the movie bugged me (OK, I know that only one out of 1,000 people or fewer would know this). Kind of like using Stillwater (another real 70s group) as the name of the band in Almost Famous, which bugged me too.

Where did the violent lovemaking between Fischer and Reilly come from? Is that a reference to some other movie? It came out of left field and I found it puzzling. Also, why did Dewey suddenly have a washboard-abs torso? If this was a reference to something else, I didn't see it, and it didn't make sense on its own.

The movie poster is one of the worst ideasI have ever seen. I get that it's the takeoff of a Jim Morrison photo, and I found it somewhat amusing, but what is this supposed to mean to 18 to 34 year old target viewers? They probably think it's just a goofy looking skinny guy. Do they even know who the Doors and Morrison are, and do they know that specific photo? Maybe if they had had Dewey Cox pose in some other iconic ways (like maybe Bowie in Pin Ups, for example) that might have been a better joke, but it's still depending on your audience to know music history to get it.

There was no reason for this movie to be rated R. The orgy scene didn't have any jokes (including the penis joke) that were worth giving up a PG-13 rating. The swearing didn't add anything either. I am the furthest thing from a prude (love the 70s Richard Pryor albums, you can't get much more profane than those) but I felt like the nudity and language were gratuitous. As someone else said, this had the feel of an extended SNL sketch so maybe I was expecting a TV level of content.

The movie wasn't terrible, but I found a lot of it confusing and bland. Reilly is very good, as are the song parodies (the Roy Orbison styled one especially), but the whole thing really annoyed me more than anything, not what a comedy should do.

Last edited by obscurelabel; 12-26-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-26-07, 04:13 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
Man I love John C. but this movie was atrocious!

Like the person above me stated...the biggest thing wrong with this movie is that they didn't go all out crazy with the jokes such as Scary Movie yet they keep hitting us with the same lame jokes (the Bathroom joke, the Sink joke, The Wrong Kid Died joke, the Body cut in Half joke) over and over again!

I stayed all the way through...but only because Juno wasn't starting until after Walk Hard.
Old 12-27-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
They probably think it's just a goofy looking skinny guy. Do they even know who the Doors and Morrison are, and do they know that specific photo? Maybe if they had had Dewey Cox pose in some other iconic ways (like maybe Bowie in Pin Ups, for example)
Yes, because Pin Ups is so well known.

I saw this tonight and I agree with most of what people said: it just wasn't that funny. I was entertained and chuckling throughout, but maybe I should've seen Juno again. Definitely the worst Apatow comedy of the year.
Old 12-27-07, 10:34 PM

I saw this last night, I thought it was ok, but I can't disagree with a lot of the negative comments. Script was very uneven, there were a few really great lines and moments and I thought the music was actually pretty good, but as others have mentioned, they kept going back to the well again and again and again, and a fair amount of the material just didn't work. I sort of came away thinking the script could have used a few more rewrites.

I did like Jonah Hill's cameo though, he didn't even really bother with a southern accent! He just kind of played the same funny loud mouthed jerk that he played in Knocked Up and Superbad.

It is interesting that it bombed so badly at the box office, there are a lot of obvious reasons, but I also think they got hurt by the writer's strike, in that i'm sure that this would have been heavily promoted on SNL(i'm sure o'reilly would have hosted), Daily Show, etc. Definitely would still have bombed, but probably would have done more than 4 million the first weekend.
Old 12-28-07, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never saw this in theaters for one simple reason. From the trailer it looked like another in a long line of crappy parodies (ala Epic Movie, Scary Movie 3 & 4, Date Movie, etc.).

If it wasn't then shame on the advertisers.
Old 12-28-07, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ never saw it? you say that like it's done with it's run at theaters. hasn't it only been out for a week?
Old 12-28-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is this a parody of Die Hard?
Old 12-28-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yes, because Pin Ups is so well known.
Yeah, that was a pretty bad example. What I meant to convey more clearly was to have him pose in parodies of other rock stars in famous photographs or LP covers, but that still requires you to know rock history from '55 to '75 or so to get the joke, and it isn't all that funny a joke. The more general point I wanted to make is that the poster art seems like a very poor way to market the movie.
Old 12-28-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw this on Christmas Day, and overall I liked it. It did really have some slow moments are too-often repeated jokes, but it kept me laughing through most of it - which is what was intended.

I'm 28, and I instantly got the Morrisson poster art joke. Who says you need to be 40 to get it??
Old 12-30-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
The first twenty minutes wasn't so good. But the rest definately was. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The bathroom jokes were awesome! I wouldn't call it 'recycling'. It was more like an 'arc' joke. Probably the most gut-busting parts of the movie.

The Bob Dylan piece was awesome. The Beatles piece was awesome.

This movie wasn't constantly gut-busting. The laughs definately came more frequently than the standard comedy.

Some people will like it. Some won't. Regardless of the reviews, it's definately worth seeing.
Old 12-30-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I found "Walk Hard" to be more of a parody of "Walk the Line", but I never felt it really went for the kill, as it sort of just straddled the line of spoof/parody, but should have reached for satire and provided more bite to the material. Its main fault it that it under-reached for its humor and pathos.

The film starts out a bit uneven, and does take a while to find its feet, but by the time it concludes, I wasn't all that interested in how Dewey Cox's life turned out. That's the fault of the screenplay because I think all the actors/actresses were game for whatever it would take to garner some laughs and reach a little deeper when reflecting on a singer with a supposed legendary past.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 12-31-07, 12:38 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow. Guess I'm in the minority on this one...just saw it tonight and thought it was very good. Beatles scene was the highlight, the "Dylan" period and the midget protest song among others. Not a classic by any means, but a lot of fun. Not to mention Jenna looking
Old 12-31-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Ebert's review mentions the penis (you know which one I mean?); questioning it's place in the movie. I think that it was a funny sight gag. Something to get a rise out of people - which it did. Everyone lauged.

I guess Ebert is trying to take the high road. Like the old lady next to me that said 'oh my goodness' when it appeared.
Old 12-31-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw it and thought it was good. Not great, not bad, but good. The first half is very funny, the second half of the film is sort of a snooze. Jenna Fischer really kills the whole momentum of the movie. Also the obligatory Jonah Hill cameo was pretty lame.

Overall its a B-
Old 12-31-07, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I saw this last night and thought it was pretty funny. Shame about it flopping.

After the credits there's a short scene with the "real Dewey Cox", which just looked like Reilly with different make up on. But the voice singing the song is different and to me it sounded like Bob Dylan. I don't really care for Dylan and I'm probably wrong, but was that really him? That'd be hilarious if he did a vocal cameo.
Old 01-01-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I found "Walk Hard" to be more of a parody of "Walk the Line", but I never felt it really went for the kill, as it sort of just straddled the line of spoof/parody, but should have reached for satire and provided more bite to the material. Its main fault it that it under-reached for its humor and pathos.

The film starts out a bit uneven, and does take a while to find its feet, but by the time it concludes, I wasn't all that interested in how Dewey Cox's life turned out. That's the fault of the screenplay because I think all the actors/actresses were game for whatever it would take to garner some laughs and reach a little deeper when reflecting on a singer with a supposed legendary past.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
I will give it a bit higher grade of B-, but really agree with most of this. The movie had great cameos and funny moments, but was amazingly uneven. One minute it is trying to be Airplane, the next more like Anchor Man. Many of the jokes completely bombed and it seemed like half the scenes in the trailer were not used. I will give this one another chance on home video because they obviously have a lot they will add, but overall this is easily one of the weaker efforts from an Apatow production.

I did like the Beatles though. Even the silly use of Jack Black. The jewish jokes were downright awful though. More Epic Movie quality. Unfortunately the movie dipped into Epic Movie quality humor a few times too many for me.

I fully understand this movie flopping. It was marketed as something it really fully wasn't with lots of scenes not used in the movie and had a star many people didn't know. It also doesn't have the writing quality of a Superbad or Knocked Up where word of mouth will help it get positive buzz. The audience I saw it with barely laughed at all and I doubt many of them ran out of the theater to recommend it to anyone else.

Last edited by darkside; 01-01-08 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-03-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
I watched a 1:00 pm matinee of this with my friend and we were the only two people in the theater. We were very disappointed in the movie. There were a few funny lines and I liked the Beatles bit, but that was about it. I chuckled a few times, but I didn't laugh out loud once. Jokes about cutting someone in half with a machete just aren't funny to me.
Old 05-13-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The whole movie seemed like the last 30 minutes of Saturday Night Live to me.

I almost blind bought this movie and am so glad I thought twice about it.

JCR did a pretty decent job but the supporting cast stunk. Jenna looked hot and thats as much as she contributed. The Tim Meadows bathroom drug bit was the only thing I found remotely funny and I hate Tim Meadows.

The first 20 minutes was atrocious and that kind of set the pace for me. If the first 20m of any movie stinks in HAS to come back strong and it just never did.
Old 05-13-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw this opening weekend in theaters (one of three people in there), and thought it had some entertaining bits but overall was weak in comparison to other Apatow flicks. The getting chopped in half gag wasn't really funny the first time, yet they continued with the dad... eh..

Tim Meadows was funny.
Old 09-22-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I finally watched the unrated DVD of this on Sunday. Good god, was this film a piece of shit. I expected WAY more from the Apatow camp here. Nothing was funny, nothing was quoteable. It was entirely flat for me. The funniest part of the entire film was when Tim Meadows was telling him why he didn't want to smoke marijuana. Everything else was really lame. I thought Step Brothers was a better film... and I thought Step Brothers was stupid as fuck. I normally like all the Apatow films, and John C. Reilly, but this was a total misfire on all cylinders. I almost want to sell my DVD back somewhere but I don't feel like the $5 I get will even be worth it.
Old 02-15-09, 09:57 PM
Banned

Re: Walk Hard- The Trailer

Watched this on STARZ today and want my 90+ minutes back. ugh. Now I know why I waited so long to watch it.