Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
They are considering buying property in New Zealand? I hope they keep it private or they could turn into permanent tourist attractions.
Old 12-14-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I don't see what the deal is with the two companies. Just sitting on the rights isn't making anyone any money. Since LOTR made so much money there is a good chance this one will be a hit as well. Why not just combine efforts and co-produce it? Spit the money.

While I'm not the biggest LOTR fan, I would want Jackson to direct and the same production values used so all 4 movies flow together as one world.
Old 12-14-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Personally, I don't see what the deal is with the two companies. Just sitting on the rights isn't making anyone any money. Since LOTR made so much money there is a good chance this one will be a hit as well. Why not just combine efforts and co-produce it.
GREED
Old 12-14-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sort of "news" pops up every week or so, but none of it matters until the Sony/New Line issues get resolved.
Old 12-14-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exactly. So it's pointless to break out any news till that stuff is all worked out.
Old 12-14-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
well, those stone trolls from the first movie are in the hobbit, too.

They'd probably love the chance to come back.
Old 12-15-04, 02:02 AM
Banned

don't forget we may also see a child Aragorn. He was staying in Rivendell at the end of this story.

After he finishes The Hobbit here's hoping Jackson decides to make another three-epic trilogy covering the events in The Silmarillion.
Old 12-15-04, 02:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivero
don't forget we may also see a child Aragorn. He was staying in Rivendell at the end of this story.

After he finishes The Hobbit here's hoping Jackson decides to make another three-epic trilogy covering the events in The Silmarillion.
The Silmarillion is too massive to condense into even three 3-hour films. The best way to do it would be as a TV series, honestly. It could go on for several seasons considering just how much is in that damn book.
Old 12-15-04, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh don't worry, Peter Jackson will add a young Merry, Pippen, Sam and Frodo characters in The Hobbit, to make it "seamless"
Old 12-15-04, 03:59 AM

The Silmarillion... Man, that'd be so awesome. I think the way to go about it, though, would be to just pick a few of the stories from The Silmarillion and make those into their own (3 hour) movies. Trying to adapt the entire thing into a movie series would be a bad idea for a lot of reasons.

I wouldn't want it as a TV series, though, because there's no way it would look or feel a tenth as real as the LOTR movies. If more Middle-earth history is to be presented, quality should take precedence over quantity.
Old 12-15-04, 04:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duder
I think the way to go about it, though, would be to just pick a few of the stories from The Silmarillion and make those into their own (3 hour) movies.
Exactly, just pick one or two stories for each three hour film. The War of the Ring wouldnt have to be mentioned since that's already been covered. Also leave out the story of Luthien and Beren since the whole Aragorn/Arwen thing was included by Jackson. Don't have to go into how the whole world was sung into being by Iluvatar(God) or the whole myth of Creation, just focus on the more literal aspects that more or less directly relate to characters and events in LOTR. Movie 1 could be about the Elves and the rebellion of Feanor against the Dark Lord Morgoth. Movie 2 could be the "Numenor Film", about the people Aragorn came from, the Numenoreans who fell when, blinded by their need for power and immortality, attacked the Elves and were drowned by the Gods( there is a great new scene in the ROTK:EE where Eowyn recounts a dream to Aragorn that alludes to this.) Movie 3 could be about the creation of the many Rings of Power, the two Trees that made the sun and moon, the origin and Rise of Sauron and what not. Bring back the entire LOTR cast for some new footage at the end alluding to the first trilogy just like the end of Silmarillion mentioning the War of the Ring. I'd pay $7.50 to see that.

Last edited by Rivero; 12-15-04 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-15-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I can't believe you left out Gollum. Turn in your "Middle Earth Fan Club" badge to the nearest membership office immediately.
Can't believe I forgot about that slimy little bastard.

I guess it was just so dark in those caves that I forgot I saw him there...
Old 12-15-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by RevLiver
Okay, it's been a few years since I read the Hobbit, but aren't those hobbits not in the story? Isn't it about Bilbo and the dwarves and Gandalf on a quest to defeat Smaug and Bilbo finds the ring?
Not to mention, isn't one of those guys stranded on some magi-wish island or something?
Old 12-15-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So all the hobbit stars are coming back on Peter Jackson's 'personal' New Zealand farm property, they're pushing Peter to do it and are very eager? Do you know what i smell? I smell a homoerotic hobbit orgy complete with grainy video.
Old 12-16-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True - we could see Elrond, a child Aragorn, and an adult Arwen.
Old 12-16-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Seeker
True - we could see Elrond, a child Aragorn, and an adult Arwen.

Actually, I think Aragorn was a man then as well. Since he is one of the Dunedein, he was able to live into his seventies (which is where he was in LOTR) and maintain his looks.

If he is a child, then I think it would be neat to see Arwen playing with him.

The best way to do Silmarillion, IMO, is to make it with a semi-biopic of Tolkien. It has been noted that Tolkien wrote a lot of what became the Silmarillion during WWI, so the movie could cut between Tolkien writing and only show the major parts of the book as he writes.
Old 12-16-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The Hobbit is a possibility because certain studios hold film rights to it. However, The Simillarion will never be made while the rights are in the hands of Christopher Tolkien.
Old 12-16-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Actually, I think Aragorn was a man then as well. Since he is one of the Dunedein, he was able to live into his seventies (which is where he was in LOTR) and maintain his looks.

If he is a child, then I think it would be neat to see Arwen playing with him.

If I have my timelines right, Bilbo was about 50 when he went on the adventures, and eleventy-one when he had his birthday party, and (Jackson notwithstanding) 17 years passed after that (Frodo went from 33 to 50) when Frodo left.

So - say 78 years from the Hobbit to Frodo taking off.

Yeah, if that's right, Aragorn was a little boy when Bilbo passed through, and Arwen looked then like Arwen did in the movies, of course.
Old 12-19-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
http://www.petiononline.com/lotr/nof...ivtylerasarwen

Old 12-19-04, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eXcentris
What's a Hobbit?

More specifically, what's a "hobbitsis"?
Old 12-19-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy old thread Batman!
Old 12-19-04, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
More specifically, what's a "hobbitsis"?
You really felt the need to add this after a year? lol.
Old 12-20-04, 01:18 AM

How about a sequel to The Lord Of The Rings? Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but how cool would it be to see the continuing adventures of at least some of the characters from the trilogy?
Old 12-20-04, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
How about a sequel to The Lord Of The Rings? Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but how cool would it be to see the continuing adventures of at least some of the characters from the trilogy?
Howz about an alternative storyline where The Ring isn't found until the mid 20th Century by Indiana Jones?

I'm kidding of course....
Old 12-20-04, 04:25 AM

Well, Tolkien actually began writing a sequel, though he didn't get very far. He probably realized the idea was bad.

I'm sure Barry Woodward was joking, but it is an interesting issue. There's no reason followup stories couldn't happen as long as they didn't involve the One Ring or Sauron (that would just be lame, and it would undercut the significance of LOTR). Middle-earth does not cease to exist with the departure of the elves and the beginning of the Fourth Age. While a followup wouldn't be as grand of a story as saving all of Middle-earth from a disembodied Dark Lord, it could still be plenty interesting. Assuming, of course, Tolkien had completed post-LOTR stories, which he hadn't. And if we're really that desparate for more Middle-earth, there's a wealth of additional pre-LOTR story material found in The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales. I'd say there's enough between all those books to support at least 6 more 3-hour movies (and they wouldn't have to be filmed as one large project either).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.