Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
metaridley
So you're not really sick of the films, just of the endless hype?

King Kong is definately PJ's next feature, what this thread is specualting on is whether or not PJ will direct the Hobbit at some point down the road.
Old 12-07-03, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I'm not a huge fan of the films, but they're certainly not bad, don't get me wrong. Hype can temporarily make me sick of a movie, though.

As for the Hobbit, I enjoyed the book (haven't read the LOTR series), so this could be a good movie.
Old 12-09-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably, Maybe, Potentially Confirmed: PJ might do The Hobbit! (no real news here)!

It's all over the news, but here's a representative link.
http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...103162,00.html
Peter Jackson has confirmed his intention to film JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings prequel The Hobbit.
The Kiwi director had earlier ummed and aahed about taking on Tolkien's earlier tome but he told reporters in Berlin ahead of the European premiere: "I'd be interested in doing it because I think it would give continuity to the overall chapter."

Jackson also hinted at returns for Ian McKellen, who plays the wizard Gandalf, and Andy Serkis, who voiced and defined the movements of the creature Gollum. He also said Liv Tyler, who plays elven princess Arwen, could reprise her role in the story, which is set 50 years before the events of Lord of the Rings.

The latter move is likely to court controversy because Arwen is hardly even mentioned in The Hobbit, and Jackson has already attracted criticism for beefing up her part in his adaptation of The Lord of the Rings when she was a minor character in the books.

Jackson, whose next project will be a remake of King Kong, said he was sad but relieved that his seven-year mission to film the Rings trilogy was nearly over. He also revealed that the third instalment was his favourite of the trilogy as it had "a stronger emotional depth" and "a sense of closure".

Meanwhile, Serkis is touting himself for the role of king monkey himself in Jackson's next film. "There have been talks about it," he told BBCi Film. "Nothing's absolutely certain yet but I'd love to work with Peter again so hopefully, hopefully... I started dropping my ape movements in towards the end of playing Gollum, you know!"
Cool! Two movies, maybe?

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-09-03 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-09-03, 09:15 AM

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts
Glad to hear it's official.
Old 12-09-03, 09:16 AM

Well, it doesn't say he's doing it at all...

It says he wants to, but that's it...
Old 12-09-03, 09:41 AM

God, I wish these so-called entertainment "reporters" would get a good solid beating every time they issued another one of their sloppy, poorly checked, misleading "news stories."

Yes, PJ has said he's interested in doing The Hobbit. This is not news. He has said so several times during the past year.

And yes, Ian McKellan is interested in doing the Hobbit, and yes, New Line is interested in doing the Hobbit.

But they can't. There's a legal issue with the rights and another studio (United Artists.) A Hobbit project can't go forward until those problems are straightened out. And they've been trying to straighten them out for more than two years already, which is why PJ is working on Kong now instead: it doesn't look like it's going to be resolved any time soon.

So yes, a Hobbit movie will *probably* happen eventually, but it's not guaranteed.
Old 12-09-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Confirmed today: PJ is doing The Hobbit!

Originally posted by Hiro11

Cool! Two movies, maybe?

The Hobbit is too short for two movies. Anyway, the rights for The Hobbit are in legal hell at the moment. PJ can say he wants to make the film, but he has to wait until the mess is cleared up. Who the hell knows how long that'll take.
Old 12-09-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But wait...it's "Confirmed"!

Mods, please alter the thread title to: Confirmed today: PJ would really like to do The Hobbit!
Old 12-09-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, until we get ACTUAL confirmation, i would change the thread title. i see no real confirmation in this story, not to mention that this has been posted in the LOTR forum on this site.
Old 12-09-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's his obsession with the Arwen???
Old 12-09-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This would be a wonderful thing, if only it was true. I thought PJ said that after Kong he wanted to take a break and relax. After all, he's been working non-stop for almost 7 years now on one project, and he's jumping right into another huge one. Plus, I know for a fact that Christopher Tolkien is being particularly stingy with the film rights to The Hobbit.
Old 12-09-03, 10:40 AM

What do you MEAN what is his obsession with the Arwen?

Any goofy ten year old reading those books is obsessed with Arwen. I was when I first read the books. The way Tolkien writes about her, it's as if he'd actually seen her... beauty beyond that of humankind..

Besides, I'm sure he wanks it to Liv's picture every time Fran is turned the other way.
Old 12-09-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
So I'm really interested in directing an "Iron Man" movie. Does that make it "confirmed" then? Praise be to the gossip hounds of the Internet, where news doesn't have to be news to be printed. Until filming actually starts, this is a rumor. period.
Old 12-09-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wont sir ian be close to 80 by the time the hobbit comes out?
Old 12-09-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Geez, you guys are harsh, does the new thread title make your day go a little more smoothly?
Old 12-09-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
What do you MEAN what is his obsession with the Arwen?

Any goofy ten year old reading those books is obsessed with Arwen. I was when I first read the books. The way Tolkien writes about her, it's as if he'd actually seen her... beauty beyond that of humankind..

Besides, I'm sure he wanks it to Liv's picture every time Fran is turned the other way.
Well I'm no longer ten and I wasn't when I read the books but one thing I can tell you is that I don't even remember Arwen being there. So no, I'm not obsessed with her the way Jackson seems to be.

Now, if you talk about Eowyn or Miranda Otto...
That's a different story.
Old 12-09-03, 12:08 PM

Arwen is the most beautiful thing ever created in Tolkien's world. She's alright in Jackson's, but the book just.. Oh well.
Old 12-09-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
So I'm really interested in directing an "Iron Man" movie. Does that make it "confirmed" then? Praise be to the gossip hounds of the Internet, where news doesn't have to be news to be printed. Until filming actually starts, this is a rumor. period.
You're directing Iron Man?!? Cool! Can I have a cameo?
Old 12-09-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Confirmed today: Sierra Disc is interested in Iron Man!

*FLASH*

Unconfirmed rumour: Jason is up for lead role!
Old 12-09-03, 12:59 PM

Not only is this movie *still* not officially confirmed, there's already been at least one other thread on this subject.
Old 12-09-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
They forgot the most important part of the interview;

When told that Andy Serkis would still not be up for a best supporting oscar Jackson responded "Well bloody hell, am I going to have to make another two movies to get the man a best supporting nod?"
Old 12-09-03, 02:30 PM

This is one case where AICN actually reports the story more accurately than the mainstream media!

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=16638
Old 12-09-03, 03:17 PM

Keep in mind, wasnt it Miramax (or some other company) who had rights to Lord of the rings, and when things fell through between Jackson and them New Line moved in and negotiated a deal. I think they gave them $100 million + a small portion of the profits. Not exactly sure. Certainly a deal could be brokered for the Hobbit.
Old 12-09-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who wants to bet that PJ will add Legolas during the Battle of the Five Armies? Ya gotta have that 'mo Orlando for the little girls. $$$$$$$$$
Old 12-09-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
All kidding aside, I think this is a bad idea personally -- Tolkien himself wrote LOTR as an adult novel, The Hobbit as a children's book. The Hobbit by its very nature would be a less dense and mythic movie than LOTR has been. Coming afterwards, it'd be an anticlimax for many people I think. While I love the Hobbit, story-wise LOTR has it all over Bilbo's tale. (Seeing Smaug on screen WOULD rock, though!)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.