Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Hobbit

Originally Posted by Draven
Maybe it takes more people, but you get better results with less effort.

I realize it's not film, but I have been shooting video for the last 15 years. In my career I've gone from 3/4" to BetaSP to DVCPro to HDV to P2. I much prefer the 10 pound P2 camera over the 3/4", where the camera was separated from the deck by a 4 foot long cable and you could barely carry the whole thing. Better results, faster and VASTLY more convenient to get from the camera to the airwaves. I cannot believe movie technology hasn't progressed in the same way.

If you think movies should be cut with razorblades, covered in grain and have all effects done in-camera...more power to you. I'd prefer to live in the modern world. Especially since you no longer need a studio and millions and millions of dollars to make a great movie.
No, you get better results with more effort. More light, more tracks, higher rental costs, more crew, etc.

Do you prefer to watch a "film" that looks like it was shot in someone's backyard and run through some crazy digital color grade filter? Because it's easier and cheaper...

It seems obvious I'm not getting anywhere so I'll bow out.

R.I.P. Cinema
Old 05-01-12, 07:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Supermallet, I have seen consumer (prosumer?) grade HD camcorder video like numerous others. After re-checking it is 1080/60p, not 48.
I'd still wait before casting judgement. Things like lighting and such may affect the look. Having seen the 24fps trailer in IMAX, I would never have known it was shot digitally. Looks just like LOTR to me.
Old 05-01-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Peter Jackson Considering Dolby Atmos for 'The Hobbit'

The new Dolby sound format will be installed at the Dolby Theatre, home of the Academy Awards.

Peter Jackson is considering the new Dolby Atmos audio format to create the sounds of Middle Earth for The Hobbit, his two-part prequel to The Lord of the Rings.

“Dolby are coming down to New Zealand to give us a demonstration,” Jackson told The Hollywood Reporter. “Our particular postproduction schedule is reasonably tight (but) three dimensional sound would be fantastic. If we can do it I would be pretty keen.”

Jackson is already experimenting with advancing technology on The Hobbit. The films are being shot in 3D and -- for the first time on a major Hollywood film -- at 48 frames per second.

The Dolby Atmos format is developed to create “lifelike” and “immersive” sound and involves the placement of speakers all around an auditorium as well as across the ceiling. The system is designed to transmit up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels, and renders from 5.1 up to 64 discrete speaker feeds, according to Dolby.

On Tuesday, the company revealed that the home of the Academy Awards at Hollywood & Highland will be rebranded the Dolby Theatre and that the venue would be upgraded to support Dolby Atmos.

Disney/Pixar’s Brave will be the first film to test the Atmos format, and Dolby aims to install the sound system in 10-15 theaters worldwide for this trial run.

Dolby indicated that after a cinema launch, the “longer term” goal is to bring an Atmos experience to the living room, including on tablets, PCs and mobile devices.
Here is the current thread on the Atmos system:

CinemaCon 2012: Dolby to Unveil 'More Natural And Lifelike' Sound System
Old 05-01-12, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'd still wait before casting judgement. Things like lighting and such may affect the look. Having seen the 24fps trailer in IMAX, I would never have known it was shot digitally. Looks just like LOTR to me.
I agree that the 24fps trailer looks very, very good. Much better than the Lord of The Rings films (which I always thought looked terrible). Maybe it's a function of lenses and lighting but it didn't look like digital to me either. Still, I don't see how 48fps wouldn't radically alter the moving images into something distinctly "un-cinema" like.

The main complaint I have with with these digital advancements isn't necessarily the technology itself but with the access and ease of use. There are too many movies being made that are nothing more than big-budget TV made by people who love the toys but have zero sense of taste or knowledge (much less reverence) of film history and the masters who came before. Where is the mise-en-scene? Where is the inventiveness captured on-set? Does anyone edit in-camera anymore? Where the filmmakers want to obtain specific shots, angles, and camera moves and know beforehand how they want them to fit together? Too much of what I see seems to be: show up on set, point and shoot as best you can. Get ample coverage and cut and paste in editing room. That's hackwork and it dominates the movies now...even the big-budget "event" films (not necessarily referring to The Hobbit).

Last edited by Strevlac; 05-01-12 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 07:48 PM
Banned by request

You know, Michael Bay is notorious for editing in camera. His movies still suck. There's more to filmmaking than craft.
Old 05-01-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It isn't completely different. "Interpolated" frames or "real" frames, the idea is the same and it basically looks the same.
Incorrect. They don't look basically the same, because one represents image information that never existed in reality, while the other represents only image information taken directly from reality. Different concepts, different results.

No, you get better results with more effort. More light, more tracks, higher rental costs, more crew, etc.

Do you prefer to watch a "film" that looks like it was shot in someone's backyard and run through some crazy digital color grade filter? Because it's easier and cheaper...

R.I.P. Cinema
How would you define "getting somewhere" in this discussion?
Old 05-01-12, 08:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Peter Jackson Considering Dolby Atmos for 'The Hobbit'

The new Dolby sound format will be installed at the Dolby Theatre, home of the Academy Awards.

Peter Jackson is considering the new Dolby Atmos audio format to create the sounds of Middle Earth for The Hobbit, his two-part prequel to The Lord of the Rings.

“Dolby are coming down to New Zealand to give us a demonstration,” Jackson told The Hollywood Reporter. “Our particular postproduction schedule is reasonably tight (but) three dimensional sound would be fantastic. If we can do it I would be pretty keen.”

Jackson is already experimenting with advancing technology on The Hobbit. The films are being shot in 3D and -- for the first time on a major Hollywood film -- at 48 frames per second.

The Dolby Atmos format is developed to create “lifelike” and “immersive” sound and involves the placement of speakers all around an auditorium as well as across the ceiling. The system is designed to transmit up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels, and renders from 5.1 up to 64 discrete speaker feeds, according to Dolby.

On Tuesday, the company revealed that the home of the Academy Awards at Hollywood & Highland will be rebranded the Dolby Theatre and that the venue would be upgraded to support Dolby Atmos.

Disney/Pixar’s Brave will be the first film to test the Atmos format, and Dolby aims to install the sound system in 10-15 theaters worldwide for this trial run.

Dolby indicated that after a cinema launch, the “longer term” goal is to bring an Atmos experience to the living room, including on tablets, PCs and mobile devices.

Here is the current thread on the Atmos system:

CinemaCon 2012: Dolby to Unveil 'More Natural And Lifelike' Sound System
it's also the first Warner Bros. film to be encoded and released in discrete 7.1 surround sound
Old 05-01-12, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy just doesn't get filmmaking. *sigh* He hasn't started in the TDKR thread yet has he? oh god...supermallet...save us.
Old 05-02-12, 04:00 PM
Banned by request

Douglas Trumbull (special effects innovator on 2001, Close Encounters, and Blade Runner) weighs in on higher framerates: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/0...t-frame-speed/
Old 05-02-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Awesome interview and some cool insight into the process. And the concept of being able to up the framerate only in specific scenes or even on certain objects within a scene....damn that is a huge amount of control for the filmmaker.
Old 05-02-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Awesome interview and some cool insight into the process. And the concept of being able to up the framerate only in specific scenes or even on certain objects within a scene....damn that is a huge amount of control for the filmmaker.
I can't believe it. They should be handcranking those cameras and developing film in the basement! Does no one care about the purity of cinema?!?!?
Old 05-02-12, 04:23 PM
Banned

appreciate the interview. Good read.
Old 05-02-12, 04:40 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Draven
I can't believe it. They should be handcranking those cameras and developing film in the basement! Does no one care about the purity of cinema?!?!?

I don't watch cinema because it ruined the purity of sequential wood carvings.
Old 05-02-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Trumbull talks about higher frame rates helping 3D. That's where you lose me. I'd love to be proven wrong some day, but so far I have yet to see any 3D move that made the movie better. It might be cool for nature stuff, but for a narrative film, it's just so unnecessary IMO. It's a distraction. So if higher frame rates are a means to an end for more 3D, then I'm against it.
Old 05-02-12, 04:50 PM
Banned by request

Higher framerates have multiple advantages. One of them is that 3D looks better.
Old 05-03-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Douglas Trumbull (special effects innovator on 2001, Close Encounters, and Blade Runner) weighs in on higher framerates: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/0...t-frame-speed/
Absolutely amazing interview. Trumbull is one of the most technologically visionary people in Hollywood, and I love his take on this issue, as well as his compromise (multi-framerate) idea.

Like him, I hope people can eventually get past their knee-jerk hatred of higher framerates, as I believe they are part of the bright future of filmmaking.
Old 05-03-12, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Awesome interview! I love DT.
Old 05-03-12, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,496 Likes on 945 Posts

R.I.P. Cinema
I don't understand why you say that high barriers to entry result in better films. When films were expensive, and a handful of moguls controlled everything, lots of bad films were made. For every Maltese Falcon, there were a dozen Ma and Pa Kettle movies.

New technology allows for new techniques. Handheld cameras that could shoot in available light yielded a lot of good movies in the 1970s. Directors could shoot in the streets of New York without a giant crew.
Old 05-03-12, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to admit that I don't think I'm going to like it, at least initially, because it won't feel like it's "cinema." HD never had this issue, as all it does is get you closer to the theatrical presentation. I think it will take some getting used to before truly deciding if I like it or not.

However, Trumball's suggestion of having variable framerates does sound interesting. Perhaps a good balance would be to use 24fps for "ordinary" scenes and then switch to a higher rate for special cases like action scenes or anywhere where the director wants immediacy and realism. They already manipulate the way motion is perceived with things like slow motion and playing with the shutter angle (Saving Private Ryan and others).
Old 05-03-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any chance we can get back to actually discussing the movie?

Looking forward to this. I never read LOTR or The Hobbit, and loved the LOTR trilogy, so I'm excited. I'm literally going in blind - I know nothing about this story.
Old 05-03-12, 12:59 PM
Banned by request

You're in for a treat! The Hobbit is the fun one.
Old 05-03-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

^Agreed, I just read it about 6 months ago and loved it, really looking forward to it!
Old 07-08-12, 12:28 PM
Banned

comic con poster:

Old 07-08-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It looks like a cheap BBC tv show at 1 fps
Old 07-08-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
It looks like a cheap BBC tv show at 1 fps

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.