Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
It's hard to say. The Nashville screening is about an hour drive each way for me, but it's a nice theater, and Nashville has plenty of places to eat that I can't find at home. I may drive down for the Avatar footage, eat dinner, and stick around for another movie. It's not unusual for me to go a once or twice a month anyway.

I used to live in Bowling Green myself when I went to college. Stayed there a bit after I graduated and routinely drove to Nashville to see movies (in my time BG had some of the worst theaters in the country, that's no exaggeration).

If I were still there, I would most likely be going to catch some Avatar footage.
Old 08-18-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Got a confirmation after all. 6PM White Marsh!
Old 08-18-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, i slacked, all sold out. (if u got an extra ticket bus, i will gladly take it)
Old 08-19-09, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Make note: I just got an email stating that due to the server errors, you have to re-submit the selection of which showing you which to attend. I just did so and got my new confirmation email, which states that it's the only email that will be accepted.

So everyone should double-check to be sure that you are still ok for your showing.
Old 08-19-09, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I used to live in Bowling Green myself when I went to college. Stayed there a bit after I graduated and routinely drove to Nashville to see movies (in my time BG had some of the worst theaters in the country, that's no exaggeration).

If I were still there, I would most likely be going to catch some Avatar footage.
There was a time when I refused to see just about any movie in Bowling Green. We went to Nashville for everything. Things were at their worst when Carmike took over Greenwood 6 from AMC. I remember trying to see something at Carmike's Plaza 6 years ago. The dialog was coming from the rear speakers and the rear channel sound was coming from the screen. The manager did not understand why I wanted a refund.

Things are much better here now. A regional chain opened a 12 screen theater here about ten years ago. Later, the same chain took over the Greenwood theater, completely renovated it, and added four screens. The Plaza 6 became a second-run theater and eventually closed.
Old 08-19-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
Make note: I just got an email stating that due to the server errors, you have to re-submit the selection of which showing you which to attend. I just did so and got my new confirmation email, which states that it's the only email that will be accepted.

So everyone should double-check to be sure that you are still ok for your showing.
Ditto, I got the same thing this morning. I guess it's not possible to register for multiple screenings then. Resubmitted by selection and got the new RSVP e-mail immediately.

I also noticed that they added two new screening times (making a total of 4) for my location as well. I guess Fox probably did that for most locations (or at least the markets in high demand).
Old 08-19-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Yeah, I wonder how widespread this was or is the other poster also going to the Toronto screening, because I had to do the same thing today. Got the new confirmation email right away...
Old 08-19-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^Yeah, I wonder how widespread this was or is the other poster also going to the Toronto screening, because I had to do the same thing today. Got the new confirmation email right away...
Yup, going to the Toronto screening. Selected the 7:15 pm time-slot.
Old 08-19-09, 10:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I just saw this on aintitcool. Kind of funny.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYBRFJ9RArc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYBRFJ9RArc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

EDIT: guess this has already made the rounds, even on the Facebook page for the movie (seriously? Facebook?)

Last edited by E Unit; 08-19-09 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i usually dont like those things but that was pretty funny.
Old 08-19-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That was clever.
Old 08-19-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Hmm, well I'm in San Francisco. I wonder if it's just at what time on Monday you registered.
Old 08-19-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
There was a time when I refused to see just about any movie in Bowling Green. We went to Nashville for everything. Things were at their worst when Carmike took over Greenwood 6 from AMC. I remember trying to see something at Carmike's Plaza 6 years ago. The dialog was coming from the rear speakers and the rear channel sound was coming from the screen. The manager did not understand why I wanted a refund.

Things are much better here now. A regional chain opened a 12 screen theater here about ten years ago. Later, the same chain took over the Greenwood theater, completely renovated it, and added four screens. The Plaza 6 became a second-run theater and eventually closed.
I remember when the new chain first opened, it was a welcome change to say the least. I remember visiting BG after having been away for about a year in 2004, and saw that they had closed the Greenwood theater. Seeing that gave me a feeling of victory, albeit delayed. I never could get over how both theaters had the most incompetent staff and flippant attitude about presentation.

Back to Avatar, are there any mangas/sci-fi novels that are similar in style to this movie? As I have mentioned earlier, this plot strikes me as something straight out of a sci-fi novel that one sees in a library with a fancy cover but you don't want to read because the names and plot description are too weird. I hope the movie isn't too much that way, but I'm of an open mind.
Old 08-19-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I just saw this on aintitcool. Kind of funny.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYBRFJ9RArc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYBRFJ9RArc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

EDIT: guess this has already made the rounds, even on the Facebook page for the movie (seriously? Facebook?)
Hell. get a few beers in me and I might just watch that version! Of course I would be wondering how Cameron spent the alleged $300 million.
Old 08-20-09, 08:48 AM

Received 813 Likes on 529 Posts

13 minutes until the second* trailer is released.

Old 08-20-09, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
13 minutes until the second* trailer is released.

Alright Apple, you had an ad with a countdown to 9:00 AM/c and there's nothing on your trailer page now.
Old 08-20-09, 09:06 AM

Here it is (they tweeted it).

http://twitter.com/itunestrailers/

Edit to add: Dammit... the video sources are coming up '?' or invalid. Sheeeeeooootttt!
Old 08-20-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another Avatar technical fuck-up...man, they're really on a roll this week!
Old 08-20-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Here it is (they tweeted it).

http://twitter.com/itunestrailers/

Edit to add: Dammit... the video sources are coming up '?' or invalid. Sheeeeeooootttt!
I know! What the fuck! It says it's a file that quicktime doesn't understand!!!
Old 08-20-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well that's great, that's just fuckin' great man. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now man, the Avatar trailer ain't workin'! That's it, game over, man, game over! What are we gonna do now, man? What are we gonna do?
Old 08-20-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah

Well that's great, that's just fuckin' great man. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now man, the Avatar trailer ain't workin'!
Old 08-20-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm gonna bitch and moan!

Dammit it!! You stupid mother fuckers can put everyother trailer up correctly, but not AVATAR!! You dumb motherfuckers!! Fuuuuuuuuck you Apple!!!
Old 08-20-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.apple.com/movies/fox/avat...a-tsr_720p.mov
Old 08-20-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How does that work? None of the links from apple.com work
Old 08-20-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Worked for me - slow as hell loading, but it's working.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.