Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Originally Posted by Draven
That is so odd. The theater I went to was a ghost town last night, and it's usually pretty hopping. I showed up early even though I'd gotten my tickets online and ended up sitting in the lobby for 30 minutes nearly by myself. And the showing before let out only about 40 people total. A HUGE difference from the other big blockbusters I've seen there.
Well many theaters can be like yours if its going to do 75+ Million this weekend.
Old 12-23-09, 05:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

285 million in 4 days --- some kind of record ?
Old 12-23-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
Well many theaters can be like yours if its going to do 75+ Million this weekend.
It just struck me because I've seen plenty of "blockbusters" at this theater, it was in the largest and nicest auditorium, the weather was fine and it was a Friday night...and I've never seen a crowd this small at a movie that just came out.

I also paid $3.25 more for my ticket than normal, so people that saw the 3D and IMAX versions helped bump that number up more than it would normally be.
Old 12-10-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

James Cameron slapped with lawsuit over "Avatar" plot

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - "Avatar" director James Cameron has been hit with a lawsuit by a writer who claims that the plot for the hit sci-fi movie was lifted from his own project.

In the suit, which was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Thursday, Eric Ryder claims that he entered into an agreement with Cameron's production company, Lightstorm Entertainment, to develop a movie based on his story "KRZ 2068."

According to the suit, the project was envisioned as "an environmentally themed 3-D epic about a corporation's colonization and plundering of a distant moon's lush and wondrous natural setting."

After working on the project for nearly two years, Ryder alleges, Lightstorm put the kibosh on it, explaining that "no one would be interested in an environmentally themed science fiction feature film."

Shortly after, the suit says, Lightstorm began work on "Avatar," which Ryder says, "liberally and substantially uses material that fell within the LEI-Ryder agreement."

According to the suit, Ryder's story involved a protagonist who's sent to the moon of a distant planet by an Earth-based mining corporation; moreover, the details of the project called for 3-D effects to "infuse the story."

And since, according to the suit, Ryder's agreement with Lightstorm stipulated that material from the project wouldn't be used without Ryder "sharing in the commercial receipts and the writer or producer credits," he wants to get paid from the mega-successful "Avatar."

Ryder claims that he was told that Cameron alone wrote "Avatar," and that he had prepared a "scriptment" for the project before Ryder and Lightstorm entered the agreement. Ryder says that's untrue -- and says that his story was circulated to the bigwigs at Lightstorm, including Cameron.

Claiming breach of implied contract, fraud and deceit, negligent misrepresentation and other infractions, Ryder is seeking unspecified contract damages, tort damages, punitive damages and that he be awarded the profits "that defendants obtained from their wrongful acts."

Given the billions of dollars that "Avatar" pulled in worldwide, that could be pretty substantial.

Cameron's attorney and Lightstorm did not immediately respond to TheWrap's request for comment.

http://news.yahoo.com/james-cameron-...192455370.html
Old 12-10-11, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was only a matter of time before someone tried to get a piece of this pie. It's always some time after the fact that one comes out of the woodwork.

These fuckers never learn.
Old 12-10-11, 04:47 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Old 12-10-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Who the fuck was thinking about 3D epics back then? What a jackass. Enjoy never working in this town again.
Old 12-10-11, 10:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He was probably never going to work in this town in the first place, hence a prominent lawsuit against a 2 billion dollar-grossing film.
Old 12-10-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Since when do Predators kill children? I ask because the adult Na'avi in that movie were depicted as being much larger than a human.