Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Transformers"...the (more than meets the eye) reviews thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Transformers"...the (more than meets the eye) reviews thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the top review is a pretty much how the movie is... and i am a die hard transformers fan... i knew going to the movie it would be different but it still felt like the animated movie..
Old 06-28-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm going the the special screening tonight. Cannot wait.

....If Stan Bush's "The Touch" isn't in the movie I'm gonna RAGE!
Old 06-28-07, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
While I am glad to see positive things, the fact that almost everything starts with: "Okay, I'm not a Transformers fan, but.." is not too encouraging.
Let me rephrase then. I am a child of the 80's and a "casual fan". I owned several of the original toys, and have fond memories. I did not let any nostalgia that I may have prevent me from enojoying this movie...
Old 06-28-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I am glad to see positive things, the fact that almost everything starts with: "Okay, I'm not a Transformers fan, but.." is not too encouraging. Then again, if Bay only made the movie for fans of the old one, it would be one of the most expensive flops in movie history.

While I do not doubt this will be popular, I don't think it will be the big movie of the summer. Afterall, it has the fifth Harry Potter movie on its tracks a little over a week later. Unless it gets dynamite word of mouth, I see it fizzling after one week, like every other summer blockbuster does nowadays. Smart move that by the time its first weekend hits it will have been playing for almost a week already. Might not give it that impressive of a weekend run though.
Here's another review on my site by a transformers' fan - contains spoilers:
Fanboy's review

No one really expected this movie to be a huge hit before the final trailer showed up. Some even predicted it will bomb. But after watching it, I know kids and adults will watch this movie more than once. The replay value is there, the only thing that might hurt the movie is the length, almost 2 and a half hours.

Pic from the after-party will write about the event tomorrow or Saturday:

Last edited by matrixrok9; 06-28-07 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-28-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Interesting review.

Spoiler:
Though what he said about the military kicking ass at the end has me worried about Bay going for the ID4 factor too much. As the teaser said, it was "Their war, our world." Meaning they should be the ones doing the fighting. I remember in the series the Autobots and Decepticons pretty much fought without human interference and never really demolished a city in the process. If humans got in the way, too bad for them, though the Autobots would always try to draw the battle away from people. But if a fanboy thinks it's pretty good, I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-28-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981

Be prepared to rage I guess. Highly doubt they would put something only a few hundred people would understand into this flick.
Old 06-28-07, 05:48 PM

The early reviews have been surprisingly (and for me humblingly) positive. I have decided to give this movie a chance though I still refuse to love the new character designs.

I too am baffled why they didn't use Frank Welker in the role of Megatron, especially since he's voicing Megs in the stinking game! At least Bay had the sense not to recast Peter Cullen. It may be Peter that saves this movie for me.
Old 06-28-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'll probably wait until the 7th to see this and read some real reviews. i don't trust any early reviews since it could be guerilla marketing
Old 06-28-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981

I'm hoping for Dare to be Stupid myself.
Old 06-28-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
While I do not doubt this will be popular, I don't think it will be the big movie of the summer. Afterall, it has the fifth Harry Potter movie on its tracks a little over a week later.
Based on the surprisingly positive reviews so far, I think Transformers will be a huge (pun intended!) hit. After all, this is a classic summer movie, but it ends up better than anticipated.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will of course do very well, but I think fans of this movie may not go the second weekend on the account of a 784-page tome coming out the second weekend of the movie.
Old 06-28-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just returned from a screening of it...Awesome. The best visual effects I have ever seen on film.
Old 06-28-07, 10:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The whole world has seen it but me. Dem.....feel outdated now!!
Old 06-28-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I haven't seen it either.
Old 06-28-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw this at work and let me say that the action is pretty nuts which was to be expected. Surprisingly, it's pretty well written with many, many comedic elements. I was quite astonished to see that much comedy in this movie. There are things that bothered me that many have already talked about like Optimus talking which looks pretty bad. The camera being too close in certain action sequences which makes it hard to tell what's happening. Frenzy sounds like an evil Ewok. It's terrible. And I don't see why they couldn't have used the guy who did the voice for Megatron because you can't tell that Hugo Weaving did the voice.

The plotline is very similar to ID4 as you'll see many basic elements of that movie in this movie.

Overall the majority of people will like this movie because it's just a straight up action popcorn flick.

Last edited by jiggawhat; 06-28-07 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-28-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i'll probably wait until the 7th to see this and read some real reviews. i don't trust any early reviews since it could be guerilla marketing

There's enough reviews from different posters on this thread saying it's good. Are you always this cynical or are you one of the Transformers' bashers?

Last edited by matrixrok9; 06-29-07 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-29-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen it and have been pretty vocal in the past about some of the things I didn't like. Thankfully, most of the bad stuff from the script has been either trimmed or ejected. Prime still doesn't act or look like G1 Prime but overall I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. Now Bay has actually made two good films, The Rock and Transformers. I'll do a more comprehensive write up when I have time later tonight.
Old 06-29-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't see many "I went and saw the movie and I'm a Transformers fan" response starters so my opinion is still .... wait

Since it's still rather early in the year, the movie will be out on dvd before the end of the year, that's for certain so I can wait until then
Old 06-29-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorraffy
I didn't see many "I went and saw the movie and I'm a Transformers fan" response starters so my opinion is still .... wait
I should add then that the first movie I ever saw theatrically was the original animated movie and the series was a big part of my life. I have all the G1 DVD sets and have probably watched the film more times than any other. I still have all my original action figures and shock, I liked most of Bay's film. Rest assured, the flames are still stupid though!
Old 06-29-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
I must echo the positive reviews here. What a wild ride this movie is. I was never too into the show, I knew who Prime was and that's pretty much it. But yeah, such a fun movie. Check it out.
Old 06-29-07, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it...funny, exciting, action-packed...the special effects were terrific. I think anyone that enjoys a good summer action popcorn flick will enjoy this one. B+
Old 06-29-07, 03:51 AM

100% at rottentomatoes!!!
Old 06-29-07, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vwbeetlvr
100% at rottentomatoes!!!
The movie's not out yet, so the review pool is limited. Expect that number to sink.
Old 06-29-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it will sink but if the movie is supposed to be an action popcorn flick.. this movie was top notch...
Old 06-29-07, 07:10 AM

The entire crowd at the Chicago screening were definitely enjoying the film, including cheers, clapping, and a lot of laughter (plus confusion when the trailer for J.J. Abram's new film displayed no title after an awesome preview - turns out its the under-the-radar Cloverfield).

Yep, the film is "cooler than Armageddon".
Old 06-29-07, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
. Now Bay has actually made two good films, The Rock and Transformers. I'll do a more comprehensive write up when I have time later tonight.
You must have not seen Pearl Harbor. Masterpiece.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.