Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does "The Matrix" Still Hold Up For You?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Does "The Matrix" Still Hold Up For You?

Old 06-24-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I lovin it as always.
Old 06-24-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
A must have for any Sci-Fi/Action fans collection. Ahead of it's time for concept and effects.

Kenny J
Old 06-24-07, 04:50 PM
Banned

Ahead of it's time for concept and effects.
Actually every single conceptual aspect of "The Matrix" can be found in earlier sci-fi from "The Terminator" to "The Invisibles" and stuff like the "revolutionary" bullet-time effects had been used in commercials for about 5 years before popping up in "The Matrix".

Last edited by GuruTwo; 06-24-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
The first movie YES! It's a classic that set the stage for dozens of other action movies and video games that followed. The lobby scene is the main reason I bought the collection on HD-DVD.
Old 06-24-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved every movie since they came out, nothing has changed for me.
Old 06-24-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 1st one is a classic, my #5 on my top ten list of all time. The 2nd is pretty good and the 3rd is crap, hate it.
Old 06-24-07, 08:07 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Also, I'm curious to know if anyone knows of someone who never liked the film?

I thought it was a ridiculous geek masturbatory fantasy. At least it was better than the sequels, which had to be among the worst sci-fi movies ever made.
Old 06-24-07, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Has anyone who hated the third movie given it additional viewings? The first time I saw it I did not really like it, but after seeing it three or four more times, I now think it is still flawed but it is a fitting end to a great trilogy. I realize asking people to watch something again that they hated is a tough sell, but sometimes it is worth it.

I watched it in theaters and enjoyed it. Then I watched it again at home and thought it was awful.
Old 06-24-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Stuff like the "revolutionary" bullet-time effects had been used in commercials for about 5 years before popping up in "The Matrix".
Actually, I've had this discussion before, and the effect that appeared in commercials only about 1 year before "The Matrix" wasn't bullet-time, but a predecessor to the effect, called "Deadtime".

An article about the "Deadtime" effect:
http://www.vfxhq.com/spotlight98/9806b.html

Here's a newgroup post about the GAP ad that appeared in May of 1998:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...aaf9719fa63525

Some other posts about the effect:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ce35dca535d3b4
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...6cc76e3bdfb96a

In the Matrix the still cameras fired in a sequence, meaning the objects in the scene are still moving, albeit slowly. In all the previous films/commercials mentioned, the still cameras all fired at once, meaning the objects in the scene were frozen. Adding motion to the effect is what separated 'bullet time' from its predecessors.
Old 06-24-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just out of curiousity...but does anyone remember who Neo was talking to at the end of the first film (before he flew off into the sky from the phone booth)?
Old 06-24-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 426 Likes on 338 Posts
Originally Posted by K&AJones
A must have for any Sci-Fi/Action fans collection. Ahead of it's time for concept and effects.

Kenny J

...you don't watch many scifi movies, do you?
Old 06-24-07, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been watching Reloaded more and more. Originally, I thought that the highway chase really killed the momentum of the film, but now my problem with the pacing is the cave dance scene. After that, it moves along nicely.
Old 06-24-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The original = very good movie.

The sequels are best summed up as "unnecessary." That being said, Reloaded kept my interest, although I felt it was overall too self-aware and pretentious. Revolutions, though, was simply boring, contrived and contained just about every action movie cliche that the others somehow missed. The final fight with Smith was the worst action scene in the entire trilogy. Also, when that one kid said "Neo, I believe" and then shot through the wall, I just about puked myself. (Unfortunately, Reloaded can't really stand on its own, since it is attached at the hip to Revolutions.)
Old 06-25-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still love the first Matrix. 2nd/3rd should be one movie.
Old 06-25-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first movie holds its own as as great.
Old 06-25-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Just out of curiousity...but does anyone remember who Neo was talking to at the end of the first film (before he flew off into the sky from the phone booth)?

I thought he was talking to the machines.
Old 06-25-07, 08:33 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
It was okay, but it needed a ten minute "rave" sequence. Luckily, the filmmakers took this to heart and added it to the superior sequel.
Old 06-25-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
I truly cannot understand all of the hate for Revolutions. It is flawed and rushed, I will not argue that point. Seeing it on TV made it lose some of its luster, I will not argue that either. But I still find it pretty damn entertaining and paced pretty well when viewed as the third act of the story. I seem to remember reading that in a three act structure the whole point of the last third is to wrap everything up and focus on action. That's exactly what this one did. I loved the whole Zion battle, as I loved the whole fight with Smith at the end. Guess I'm just a freak. Didn't care for the "I believe in you Neo!" stuff myself though.

In short, it was neither great nor brilliant, but not the suckiest bunch of suck that ever sucked either.
Old 06-25-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan

I thought it was a ridiculous geek masturbatory fantasy. At least it was better than the sequels, which had to be among the worst sci-fi movies ever made.
So Reloaded was "among the worst sci-fi movies ever made", but Wendersfan still decided to show up for #3

I'm really bothered by people who think "films" can't be spectacular action movies. Just because it's not some foreign melodramatic drama about the pain of living life in this cruel, cruel world doesn't mean it's a "ridiculous geek masturbatory fantasy". Especially one that you feel "compelled" to watch all three parts of.
Old 06-25-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 426 Likes on 338 Posts
My issue with Revolutions include: poor action sequences (the upsidedown gunfight was particularly poorly done, the Dragon Ball Z fight was fairly mediocre, and the 20 minute machines vs. zion sequence was a bore.), unconvincing plotline, horrible dialogue (
Spoiler:
Trinity's death
is amongst the most unintentionally hillarious I've seen) that seemed like it was spoofing an old war movie, and just an all out poor way to conclude what could have been a very good series.
Old 06-25-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The 1st is still probably my third favorite film of all time. The second is still in my top ten. But I like to pretend the third never happened.
Old 06-25-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me, The Matrix is one of those films that I will always love. I remember the first time I saw it, the lobby shootout totally blew me away. Right up there with the original Star Wars trilogy, Aliens, and Blade Runner.
Old 06-25-07, 08:54 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
So Reloaded was "among the worst sci-fi movies ever made", but Wendersfan still decided to show up for #3

I'm really bothered by people who think "films" can't be spectacular action movies. Just because it's not some foreign melodramatic drama about the pain of living life in this cruel, cruel world doesn't mean it's a "ridiculous geek masturbatory fantasy". Especially one that you feel "compelled" to watch all three parts of.
My wife wanted to watch it, so I watched it with her. But please, continue to pass judgment on something you know nothing about. And while you're at it, why not insult some people who have the temerity to have tastes in things that vary from yours.
Old 06-25-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
My wife wanted to watch it, so I watched it with her. But please, continue to pass judgment on something you know nothing about. And while you're at it, why not insult some people who have the temerity to have tastes in things that vary from yours.

Old 06-25-07, 09:17 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Posts like this really chap my hide. They present a silly either/or situation.

Like all genre of film, there are good action movies and there are bad action movies. Most people considered the Matrix sequence to be in the latter category. They didn't hate it because it wasn't some "foreign melodramatic drama" -- they hated it because they felt it was a big letdown from the first film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.