Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does "The Matrix" Still Hold Up For You?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Does "The Matrix" Still Hold Up For You?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matrix 2 and 3 are a perfect example of why chapter skip was invented.

The Matrix on the other hand has no need for chapter skip.
Old 06-28-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The matrix sets the stage for so many story line possibilities, although it stands well on its own, it makes you wonder in awe what will happen in this world. Then Revolutions comes and crushes any possibility that what happens makes any sense.
Old 06-28-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought each of the movies had some terrific action sequences. When I was in college, my roomate and I watched the lobby scene from The Matrix at least twenty times and we'd keep watching until the end.

The second movie I thought was pretty good. It wasn't as good as say, The Two Towers or Attack of the Clones (to name other trilogies of the time). The third one was pretty disappointing, and I never even bothered to buy it (until I got the box set).

I've caught these movies on HD in the past few months and have to say that they still hold up well, although I think like all sci-fi they will date themselves spectacularly quick. The aesthetics and style of the movie are very late-90's, early 2000's and I think that will resonate louder and louder the further away we get from that time period.

I thought some of the Animatrix was great.

As someone else mentioned, I would love to see a 4-hour cut of the entire trilogy. Maybe in a decade or so we'll get a version of The Matrix a la The Godfather's extended, re-edited version.
Old 06-28-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I truly cannot understand all of the hate for Revolutions. It is flawed and rushed, I will not argue that point. Seeing it on TV made it lose some of its luster, I will not argue that either. But I still find it pretty damn entertaining and paced pretty well when viewed as the third act of the story. I seem to remember reading that in a three act structure the whole point of the last third is to wrap everything up and focus on action. That's exactly what this one did. I loved the whole Zion battle, as I loved the whole fight with Smith at the end. Guess I'm just a freak. Didn't care for the "I believe in you Neo!" stuff myself though.
Well I though the Zion battle was pretty stupid. Lets just keep pumping bullets into machines! Thats fun! I thought it went on too long, focused on people I could care less about. Plus Morpheus seems really messed up in this entire movie, completely out of character.

Reloaded isn't a stand alone film, much like ESB, but at least Jedi had some closure and some good moments. Revolutions really just kinda ruins most of Reloaded for me (with the exception of the car chase scene, still love that)
Old 06-28-07, 04:47 PM

The first one was definetly the best and I think most will agree thats true. Reloaded was a boreing to me. Revolutions was better then reloaded IMO. I still watch them when there on tv and nothing else is on.
Old 06-30-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Like most films, I think of it the same as I did when I first saw it.
Old 06-30-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chanster
Well I though the Zion battle was pretty stupid. Lets just keep pumping bullets into machines! Thats fun! I thought it went on too long, focused on people I could care less about. Plus Morpheus seems really messed up in this entire movie, completely out of character.

Reloaded isn't a stand alone film, much like ESB, but at least Jedi had some closure and some good moments. Revolutions really just kinda ruins most of Reloaded for me (with the exception of the car chase scene, still love that)
matrix only an EMP burst kills the machines. in revolutions bullets can kill them.
Old 06-30-07, 11:10 PM

still love the first one....hate the third....said this about the second, "so convoluted, it approaches genius," so I guess I must've liked it.

yeah, the first one is great, a classic fable...but still not convinced that Morpheus had the understanding to break his handcuffs...and I don't like the plastic sound the guns make when they hit the tile floor.
Old 07-01-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The first Matrix will always be cream of the crop for action. It's a movie I can't watch very much anymore, as I had seen it a million times back in the day. But the second one had some great scenes and a good build-up but it dragged at times, and Revolutions I didn't despise like most people. I thought the action-fest was cool.
Old 07-01-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
The only thing I even remember about the third movie is space ships shooting spider-looking things as they came in thru a hole. It went on and on and on....
Old 07-02-07, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The only thing I even remember about the third movie is space ships shooting spider-looking things as they came in thru a hole. It went on and on and on....
and didn't the second or third movie show someone using a mortar and pestle to make a missile???? how can you fight spider-thingys when you need to grind the saltpeter and charcoal by hand to make the powder?
Old 07-02-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just re-watched the third film after not having seen it since my time in the theater. Originally I thought it was terrible. Now, I've upgraded it to...not very good at all. There are some nice visual scenes with the sentinels attacking Zion, but for the most part, the movie failed to deliver what I at least would have ideally liked to see. I enjoyed the first film, and a good portion of the second, by seeing the characters in hand to hand combat. By seeing fire fights. By seeing them actively engaged in the action and the story.

They took a great character like Morpheus and made him a co-pilot throughout the entire film. Most of the action took place on spaceship crafts for all the characters. While visually impressive, there was a slight disconnect for me as well. Even Agent Smith, another great character, was hardly utilized. And the final battle between Neo and Smith looks like something out of a Superman film. There's way too much flying around for my liking.
Old 07-03-07, 08:55 AM

..I know this isn't the place for it, but I really really really hoped for all the Smith's in part 2 to jump into each other in part 3 to make one HUGE Smith. and then Neo would fly around to fight him. I know it's cartoony, but I'd already seen dozens of Smiths in part 2, I didn't need to see more in the third.
Old 07-03-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by f1shf00d
..I know this isn't the place for it, but I really really really hoped for all the Smith's in part 2 to jump into each other in part 3 to make one HUGE Smith.
That kind of happened in the new ending they made for the video game The Path of Neo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix:_Path_of_Neo
The player's final battle places Neo against a gigantuan likeness of Smith, comprised of buildings, cars, Smith clones, and other debris from the city where the battle takes place.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3ecmLsv-sE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3ecmLsv-sE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>