Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does "The Matrix" Still Hold Up For You?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Does "The Matrix" Still Hold Up For You?

Old 06-25-07, 09:22 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Posts like this really chap my hide. They present a silly either/or situation.
But Groucho, moronic simplifications are so accurate! I thought Die Hard was great, so of course I couldn't stand Les Enfants du Paradis. I mean, duh!
Old 06-25-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Like all genre of film, there are good action movies and there are bad action movies. Most people considered the Matrix sequence to be in the latter category. They didn't hate it because it wasn't some "foreign melodramatic drama" -- they hated it because they felt it was a big letdown from the first film.
I don't disagree with you G. But WF said the first film was a "ridiculous geek masturbatory fantasy", which I take exception to. Then there's the little thing of his continuing to see "the worst sci-fi movies of all time".

And WF, since you mentioned it, moronic would certainly be comments like "ridiculous geek masturbatory fantasy" and continuing to see movies you hate. That might even border on stupid.
Old 06-25-07, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And WF, since you mentioned it, moronic would certainly be comments like "ridiculous geek masturbatory fantasy" and continuing to see movies you hate. That might even border on stupid.
I often see movies I don't like because my wife wants to see them. It's part of being married.

"Ridiculous geek masturbatory fantasy" - let's see: The Matrix is set in a world where a young computer geek discovers that reality isn't "real". Instead, reality is a world in which a person can be the greatest fighter, the savior of humanity, and win the girl of his dreams, all by being a real great computer hacker. Now, if that's not a geek masturbatory fantasy I don't know what is.
Old 06-25-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I often see movies I don't like because my wife wants to see them. It's part of being married.

"Ridiculous geek masturbatory fantasy" - let's see: The Matrix is set in a world where a young computer geek discovers that reality isn't "real". Instead, reality is a world in which a person can be the greatest fighter, the savior of humanity, and win the girl of his dreams, all by being a real great computer hacker. Now, if that's not a geek masturbatory fantasy I don't know what is.
I'm just saying my friend, that certainly sounds like a moronic simplification to me.

And I too understand the seeing movies your spouse wants you to. For the love of what's holy, I watched Music and Lyrics this weekend. To my credit, I did fall asleep.

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm guilty of this as much as the next guy, but here's how we tend to do things around here:

1. If you didn't like the first film, and hated the sequel, you are lambasted for bothering to see the second.

2. If you didn't like the first film, and skipped the second, you are lambasted for not giving the sequel a chance.
DVD Talk Hero

I'm guilty of this as much as the next guy, but here's how we tend to do things around here:

1. If you didn't like the first film, and hated the sequel, you are lambasted for bothering to see the second.

2. If you didn't like the first film, and skipped the second, you are lambasted for not giving the sequel a chance.
Old 06-25-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

And if you actually thought the third one wasn't that bad, you are lambasted all around!
Old 06-25-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I loved the first one when it came out. I thoroughly enjoyed the second in theaters. I thought the third was a turd (mostly) when I first saw it, but over time I've found myself warming up to it a bit more. Honestly, I haven't watched a Matrix film in a couple years. I'm overdue. My plan is to eventually upgrade and get the Ultimate Collection and then do a trilogy triple feature. The first one is still going to be my favorite, though. I really wish it didn't get sequelized because it would seem so much stronger today if it was standing on it's own.
Old 06-25-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
And if you actually thought the third one wasn't that bad, you are lambasted all around!
Mmm ... lambasted ... sounds tasty!
Old 06-25-07, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Received 203 Likes on 146 Posts

So your wife is a geek that masturbates to the Matrix movies? Pics?
Old 06-25-07, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
So your wife is a geek that masturbates to the Matrix movies? Pics?
Oddly enough, she never saw the first one. She didn't have any idea what was going on with the sequels, and after about 15-20 minutes I gave up trying to explain. She still thought the rave scene was stupid.
Old 06-25-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I just watched this on HD-DVD, and I forgot how good it was. I never had issue with the other 2 movies either - I'm not big on allegory, but I respect what they were trying to do with it and the main story works ok without too much of the allegorical philosophizing they were trying to do.

That said, some of the floating in mid-air stuff did make me giggle - it has been parodied too many times to take it seriously any more.
Old 06-25-07, 12:13 PM

Hated it the first time I saw it. Watched it again about two years after that and again a year later and still hated it. The story didn't interest me one bit. The special effects didn't interest me either. I totally, totally hate seeing bullet-time special effects in movies after that. It's really hard for me to enjoy movies that include it. Never watched the sequels and don't plan to.
Old 06-25-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was seriously laughing by the end of the first one when it came out. There was just nothing too original in it to me - I though it just borrowed heavily from previous sci-fi movies, much of the action had been done for years in Chinese movies, it had some cheesy dialogue and acting, and of course the "actor" Keanu Reeves.

I was, and still am, really amazed and perplexed by its popularity. I haven't brought myself to watch it again (I've caught snippets on tv though) and never saw the sequels. I just think it's dumb.
Old 06-25-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the first movie, never saw the sequels.

Well..I did get to witness the 12-hour (it felt like it) rave sequence on TV....but I was never interested in the sequels.
Old 06-25-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being a long-time Hong Kong movie fan, I was on my high horse when The Matrix came out, and thought it was WAYY overhyped by a lot of fans who had never seen good HK action, and the movie seemed to me a lame effort to mix HK movies with Nine Inch Nails hipster fashion. Also, Dark City came out at the same time, which I thought was a lot better (and similar) movie which was being overlooked, and that annoyed me. But over the years, I've gone back to The Matrix a few times, and it's grown on me a lot. I think there are definitely some cool ideas mixed with some great atmosphere and action scenes. I caught most of the sequels on TV, but they didn't really do much for me.
Old 06-26-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

#1 holds up pretty well. The others, IMHO, sucked. I can point out 10 gaping, giant, suck-me-right-out-of-the-movie plot-holes. And for each of those 10 plot-holes, I'm sure there's 10 people who think the sequels "aren't that bad" (does anyone LOVE the sequels as much as the original?). Those 10 people can (after doing MUCH intensive research, studying, and hypothesizing) fill those plot-holes. But I don't WANT to have to take 3 semesters at my local college to understand these films. I don't WANT to have to get a P.H.D. in Matrixology.

The biggest problem I had with the sequels is the fight scenes. Maybe I'm an old fart, but there has to be a REASON to have a fight sequence. From a movie-making point, shouldn't pretty much EVERY scene be keeping the film moving? It seems most of the fights in Reloaded (just watched most of it a few days ago) are just kung-fu demonstrations. The scene where Neo fights all the Smiths was eye-candy the first time, ridiculous on subsequent viewings. The fight with the Oracle's protector was lame on the first viewing: "I just had to be sure you were the One" - "You could have just asked". WRITING GOLD! 10 minutes of a kung-fu demonstration - yawn.
Old 06-26-07, 12:20 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

It's day 2 and I still can't get the image of G. with a chapped hide out of my brain. Ouch!
Old 06-26-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It didn't hold up all that well for me in the first place, but it was OK.
The gunfire scenes at the end were lame, as if they would need to use guns.

Glad I didn't watch the sequels so I still have some goodwill left towards the series.
Old 06-26-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes
Old 06-26-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the Matrix brought a very intelligent idea and dumbed it down very quickly. And it was NOTHING like The Terminator. I really wish it wasn't all about kung-fu, and somehow focused more on how they got to that point where they were. And the philosophical/religious aspects of the peoples' predicaments. But alas, they simply focused on cool fight sequences. It's why I didn't care for Revolutions and Reloaded. Especially, Revolutions where I expected an intelligent ending but was letdown worse than a George Lucas movie.
Old 06-26-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It most certainly does.
Old 06-26-07, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The first is still a sci-fi classic.

The second and third? Should've been edited into one, tight 3-hour epic.
Word.
Old 06-27-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts
And while you're at it, why not insult some people who have the temerity to have tastes in things that vary from yours.
Put up your dukes sir! I'll show you temerity!
Old 06-27-07, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueCC
The few action scenes are good, but that is all.
Yep'. But I'd gladly watch 100 movies worth of acceptably-bad filler if I get to see 100 action sequences as good as The Matrix's.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.