Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Masters of the Universe - News, rumors, etc.

Old 10-14-12, 12:08 AM
Banned

re: Masters of the Universe - News, rumors, etc.

WTF...I didn't even watch the show but thought it looked awesome. Fanny pack? WTF? Did he ever use it?
Old 10-14-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is where he keeps his condoms.
Old 10-14-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
That is where he keeps his condoms.
Wrong! It's where he keeps his rolled up penis. There's a hole in the back of the fanny pack. It's a commonly know fact that He-Man's penis grows in size just as his muscles do.
Old 10-14-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
Wrong! It's where he keeps his rolled up penis. There's a hole in the back of the fanny pack. It's a commonly know fact that He-Man's penis grows in size just as his muscles do.
Old 10-14-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
He-Man's penis grows in size just as his muscles do.
Well, there are two precedents for growing body parts when there's a need...

master of extension!
Old 10-14-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would rather them just not have Adam and make He-Man always He-Man as it was in the earlier incarnations of the toyline.
Old 10-15-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my new casting wish list.

He-Man-anyone but Channing Tatum or some muscle bound pretty boy. If they wanted to avoid the whole Adam deal and have He-Man be a bit older, I've always thought Eric Dane would be good for the role. Chris Hemsworth would be good, but need to avoid type-casting. Jason Mamoa totally blew as Conan, so he needs to stay out as well. Maybe there is an unknown out there with talent.

Skeletor- Denis O'Hare

Teela- Christina Hendricks if they skew older, Emma Stone if younger

Evil-Lyn- Noomi Rapace

Beast Man-WWE's Ryback
Old 10-15-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Here's my new casting wish list.

He-Man-anyone but Channing Tatum or some muscle bound pretty boy. If they wanted to avoid the whole Adam deal and have He-Man be a bit older, I've always thought Eric Dane would be good for the role. Chris Hemsworth would be good, but need to avoid type-casting. Jason Mamoa totally blew as Conan, so he needs to stay out as well. Maybe there is an unknown out there with talent.

Skeletor- Denis O'Hare

Teela- Christina Hendricks if they skew older, Emma Stone if younger

Evil-Lyn- Noomi Rapace

Beast Man-WWE's Ryback

Only in your dreams. She's too big to move like an athlete.
Old 10-15-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because of her pale eyes, I'd love to see Kelly Reilly as Evil-Lynn.

I would rather them just not have Adam and make He-Man always He-Man as it was in the earlier incarnations of the toyline.
I think that's where they may be going with this. In the earlier draft
Spoiler:
After Keldor/Skeletor and the man who will become Trapjaw kill king Randor, Adam is raised and trained by Zodak. After Zodak is killed by Trapjaw, Adam goes on a quest to find Castle Greyskull. Eventually, it is revealed that Evil-Lyn is grooming Skeletor, one of the last descendants of King Greyskull (the other being his nephew, Adam) to take the mantle of the He-Man. As is expected, Adam becomes the He-Man. However, he's still very much Adam but now a super powered badass.
Old 10-15-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Only in your dreams. She's too big to move like an athlete.
I know, maybe Teela could just be a bar wench type woman in this one, but that would betray the character. Hence my recommendation of Stone.

If casting Evil-Lyn based solely on eyes, they should get Eva Green. She's kind of played a variation on the role already in Camelot.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 10-15-12 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-15-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If casting Evil-Lyn based solely on eyes, they should get Eva Green. She's kind of played a variation on the role already in Camelot.
The eyes aren't the only thing (though a very important character trait for me, ever since Meg Foster played the part in the live action movie) because I also think that Kelly Reilly has that kind of otherworldly look to her. She's "odd" but still attractive. Enigmatic is the word I'm looking for.

Eva Green would be cool as well. It'd be a great way to forget that POS Camelot show ever existed.
Old 10-15-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope he still yells "By the power of grayskull...I have the power!".

Hey I was thinking how about spanish? "Por el poder de craneo gris! Yo tengo el poder!

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Because of her pale eyes, I'd love to see Kelly Reilly as Evil-Lynn.

Wow she's fine!
Old 10-15-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I just hope he still yells "By the power of grayskull...I have the power!".

Hey I was thinking how about spanish? "Por el poder de craneo gris! Yo tengo el poder!
I used to watch the show in Spanish and he would say "por el poder de Greyskull! Yo tengo el poder!" And when Cringer would transform into Battlecat, rather than roar, in earlier episodes he'd growl "yo tambien tengo el poder!"

Wow she's fine!
Yes, she is. No wonder Doctor Watson didn't want Holmes screwing up his wedding plans.
Old 10-15-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to watch the show in Spanish and he would say "por el poder de Greyskull! Yo tengo el poder!" And when Cringer would transform into Battlecat, rather than roar, in earlier episodes he'd growl "yo tambien tengo el poder!"
That's awesome!

Yes, she is. No wonder Doctor Watson didn't want Holmes screwing up his wedding plans.
I think she fits the look perfectly...she got that bad girl look...and sexiness at the same time.
Old 10-15-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1987 release question:

I recall when the previews first started airing they made a point to mention Meg Foster being in the movie with the whole "and Meg Foster as Evil-Lyn" tagline. Typically this kind of listing is done if the individual was a major star, which I never recall her being, or, if the star had just done something noteworthy in another movie (like Michael Caine having his name highlighted in the 4th Jaws movie). I recall her name ringing a bell with a few people at the time, but maybe it's just me.
Old 10-15-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slightly off topic, I'm not sure how I feel about this:

Looks like something I'd buy day one!
Old 10-15-12, 04:53 PM
Suspended

Evil-Lyn has always been my favorite character.

If they would have got their shit together and made a movie in the 90s Fenn would have been my choice. Especially if they went with white hair. She was awesome back in the day.

We just got done watching the Tudors and I think Dormer could pull it off. She really looked like EL when she had those pointy crowns on. Shes hot, can play a bitch, and looks hotter with blonde/lighter hair.

Old 10-17-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jon M. Chu Talks Masters of the Universe

It was reported back in July that director Jon M. Chu was being targeted for the Masters of the Universe film and he's officially on it now. In an interview with Celebuzz, he spoke about why he chose the project, at which stage it is, and how much of a fan he was.

"I was approached about doing a Masters of the Universe movie and while at first I was skeptical," said Chu, "I read the script and I was blown away. I had no idea what to expect but it was such a fresh, UNEXPECTED approach I was immediately intrigued. I never expected to connect on a human level to a MOTU movie but I really plugged in emotionally. That alone, got me excited to see what we could do with the property."

Chu also feels that the prospects of doing the film are almost limitless: "I feel like there’s a lot of room to crack open the Masters of the Universe story. We are still in our process and I think we have some great seeds planted but making one of these types of movies RIGHT takes a lot of TONAL tightroping so we’re just going to play for the next several months. Play with designs, play with the characters, try new things, maybe go too far on some things and pull back. The process is really important to find where the right line is so we can land right on it. I think that’s what can dig out the properties full potential for a cinematic rebirth."

And so fans don't have to worry about it, Chu is a fan. "I LOVED the toys growing up. I had Grayskull, I had BattleCat/Cringer, I had Stratos and Orko and obviously He-Man and Skeletor. I also watched the cartoon a lot growing up. This is my era, so going to Mattel to visit their headquarters was like walking into a childhood fantasy. For every MOTU fan out there, it felt like it was time and I wanted to make sure to protect it in the process."

Chu was mum on details of the film's start though as he's still working on the 3D effects for the delayed G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

Sony and Escape Artists' Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch have been developing the property, based on the popular Mattel toy line that originated in 1982 and spawned several animated series along with a 1987 live-action film.

Masters of the Universe follows Prince Adam, who transforms into a warrior called He-Man and becomes the last hope for a magical land called Eternia, ravaged by technology and the evil Skeletor.

Source
Old 10-17-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Uh oh...he likes Orko.
Old 10-17-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bring on Orko!

Spoiler:
Old 10-17-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bring on Orko!

Spoiler:
Awesome rendition of Orko.

He wasn't in the earlier draft. Instead, they had
Spoiler:
a young sorcerer who was an apprentice to one of the last Masters of the Universe (Evil-Lyn, Zodak, and the Sorceress, being the other remaining three). He has a trial by fire of sorts when he has to step up and lead the other apprentice mages after their Master is killed by Evil-Lyn.
He's technically Orko but they gave him a story arc and didn't make him the comic relief.
Old 10-17-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome rendition of Orko.

He wasn't in the earlier draft. Instead, they had
Spoiler:
a young sorcerer who was an apprentice to one of the last Masters of the Universe (Evil-Lyn, Zodak, and the Sorceress, being the other remaining three). He has a trial by fire of sorts when he has to step up and lead the other apprentice mages after their Master is killed by Evil-Lyn.
He's technically Orko but they gave him a story arc and didn't make him the comic relief.
Very interesting and very interesting draft script.

I personally feel that they should have all the characters of the cartoon...because that's what made the cartoon famous.

It's also great to see that the director is a fan of the cartoon so he should know what the world is like. Let's hope he sticks to his guns and release something faithful to the cartoon and not some bullshit that is the complete opposite of He-Man aka putting him on Earth etc
Old 10-17-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very interesting and very interesting draft script.

I personally feel that they should have all the characters of the cartoon...because that's what made the cartoon famous.

It's also great to see that the director is a fan of the cartoon so he should know what the world is like. Let's hope he sticks to his guns and release something faithful to the cartoon and not some bullshit that is the complete opposite of He-Man aka putting him on Earth etc
Well there are several cameos and origins throughout the draft.
Spoiler:
Man-At-Arms and Teela are a given. The man who will eventually become Fisto is instantly obvious upon his very first scene. Meckaneck actually surprised me as it didn't dawn on me that we were being shown his origin late in the script.

I loved it when Battlecat and Panthor squared off.

Trapjaw made a surprisingly effective lead henchman and villain in his own right. So did Triclops.

And the script leaves the window wide open for a sequel featuring any number of the iconic villains from the show.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-17-12 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-17-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well there are several cameos and origins throughout the draft.
Spoiler:
Man-At-Arms and Teela are a given. The man who will eventually become Fisto is instantly obvious upon his very first scene. Meckaneck actually surprised me as it didn't dawn on me that we were being shown his origin late in the script.

I loved it when Battlecat and Panthor squared off.

Trapjaw made a surprisingly effective lead henchman and villain in his own right. So did Triclops.

And the script leaves the window wide open for a sequel featuring any number of the iconic villains from the show.

I can picture a wonderful trilogy if the first one works out well.

And for a sequel I would like to see this:

Spoiler:
Old 10-17-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had such a crush on her as a kid.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.