Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office 4/13-4/15 - Grindhouse drops out of top 10 in 2nd weekend

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office 4/13-4/15 - Grindhouse drops out of top 10 in 2nd weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seantn
doya read teh intranet at all?
^ Shit like that keeps me off of it when I'm not at work.
Old 04-16-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OMG Rally?
Old 04-16-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I don't think Death Proof has the best car chase EVER, it has probably the best car chase in the last two decades. In an age where CGI pretty much replaces any technical effort on the parts of the filmmakers, seeing real cars crash together, with real people driving them, actually going fast is a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by caiman; 04-16-07 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caiman
While I don't think Death Proof has the best car chase EVER, it has probably the best car chase in the last two decades. In an age where CGI pretty much replaces any technical effort on the parts of the filmmakers, seeing real cars crash together, with real people driving them, actually going fast is a breath of fresh air.

I think it just depends on what someones definition of "The Best" is...
I dont know If I'd say it is "The Best" or "My favorite" but it is sure as hell one of the most tense and involving and well shot car chases (IMO)...
Old 04-16-07, 10:37 PM
Banned

TOMORROW NEVER DIES (1997) had a better car chase with no c.g.i.
Bottom line the reason GRINDHOUSE bombed was poor word of mouth because of DEATH PROOF.
Old 04-17-07, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Bottom line the reason GRINDHOUSE bombed was poor word of mouth because of DEATH PROOF.
Bottom line, eh? Okay. I disagree.

So what next?
Old 04-17-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez

I think someone already posted a picture of a broken record for you. Let it go...

AND I disagree with you as well, even though I didn't like Grindhouse as a whole I enjoyed most of Death Proof.
Old 04-17-07, 12:24 PM
Retired

It bombed because it looks terrible from the previews if you don't know the concept of the movie. And even if you do get it many people don't want to see crappy b-movies even if they get that it is an homage.

I loved it, but it was destined from the start to be at most a successful cult film (though that's bit of an oxymoron).
Old 04-17-07, 11:16 PM
Banned

GRINDHOUSE should be a good rental moneymaker because it's 3hours long and it's a perfect movie for teens who stay home on weekends to watch. And you know they will be fast-forwarding one certain part and we know what part that is.
Old 04-18-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
...those damn Greeks.
But their food is sooo delicious!

Regardless of how fast the Premonition came-and-went, it still tallies $46mil. Got to love that strange cult of people who just watch Sandra Bullock. I wonder if it's a stereotyped demographic of middle-aged women dragging their husbands to watch her movies? Is there, like, a website where DIE HARD Sandra Bullock fans meet?

And get over it, NERDS. Regardless of how much fun it is, average moviegoers apparently don't like or don't care about Grindhouse. And it wasn't marketed incorrectly. Plenty of commercials - and a pimped-out crew hitting every-single talk show they could schedule.

I guess that I've come to a firm conclusion that there really is a jetset of moviegoers who like zombie movies, and schlock of the sort. A year or two ago, I thought that Land of the Dead would be HUGE. Then The Devil's Rejects. And now Grindhouse. All three were vastly invigoratingly entertaining to me. But people just don't care about this stuff. And, thinking back, I can't think of one that really caught on with people.

So, I guess that I get the same thing, out of these types of movies, that others get out of Premonition.
Old 04-18-07, 07:05 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by troystiffler
And get over it, NERDS. ...
troystiffler, personal attacks are against forum rules. Please avoid comments like this in the future. Additional comments of this nature may result in administrative action against your account.
Old 04-18-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Hopefully this just means a quicker transition to DVD.
Old 04-18-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Is there, like, a website where DIE HARD Sandra Bullock fans meet?
does an SB forum count?
http://www.sandrabullockcentral.com/
Old 04-18-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Grindhouse was a good movie but its not like we, the audience, really get a reward by a movie doing well so why do we care if it drops out of the top ten or not?
Some flicks I just gotta see on the big screen, usually director chosen, and my thought is that if I don't "help" the film do well, maybe I won't be able to see films by that director anymore. You go in knowing damn well that it's gonna be good, THEN you're able to recommend it to others.

If Tarantino's flicks don't make money, he's gonna have a bitch of a time finding people to back him financially in the future. It's been awhile since I've checked on it, but I remember that the "Kill Bill" films weren't huge blockbusters despite being great/fun movies.
Old 04-18-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has Weinstein decided to split up the two Grindhouse films now?
Old 04-18-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MartinBlank

If Tarantino's flicks don't make money, he's gonna have a bitch of a time finding people to back him financially in the future. It's been awhile since I've checked on it, but I remember that the "Kill Bill" films weren't huge blockbusters despite being great/fun movies.
KB1 did $180m and KB2 $150m total (domestic & international). No blockbusters to be sure, but probably decent profit for the relatively cheap production budget.