Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's The Princess & The Frog (return to 2D / 2009)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's The Princess & The Frog (return to 2D / 2009)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 04:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Disney's The Princess & The Frog (return to 2D / 2009)

To each his own. It is a good film, just not AS good of a film.
Old 12-11-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by mraw
I agree. Please see it for yourself. I thought it was wondefrul and stands on its own. I'm kind of tired of people comparing this movie to the others from the 80s and 90s (especially when preceded with the line "it wasn't as good as..."). This movie is on the level of any Disney movie of that era IMO, and there were several things going on at the end that had me quite full.
Agreed. It was nice to have a new set of characters to enjoy too, especially since the other "princess" movies have been pretty played out over the years.
Old 12-11-09, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Agreed. It was nice to have a new set of characters to enjoy too, especially since the other "princess" movies have been pretty played out over the years.
All of the characters were quite loveable, and "Dig a Little Deeper" was the best number from a Disney movie ever IMO.
Old 12-12-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't expecting the movie to be this good.

Disney hasn't made a movie like this in a long long time. Was really surprised for the "scary" parts, I mean, I don't remember things that scary in any Disney movie in the 80's or 90's.

My wife loved Ray and for her the movie is about him and... and she choked in that one part.
Old 12-12-09, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3

Disney hasn't made a movie like this in a long long time. Was really surprised for the "scary" parts, I mean, I don't remember things that scary in any Disney movie in the 80's or 90's.

My wife loved Ray and for her the movie is about him and... and she choked in that one part.
Spoiler:
I thought Tiana or someone was going to stop Dr. Facilier from crushing Ray. That shocked me as well as I've never seen that happen in a Disney movie (the murder of a sidekick). It seemed odd that after he was crushed, he was seen again in full form, but he just looked tired and disoriented. After that crunch, he would've been nothing but guts and crust.

And Charlotte
Spoiler:
reminded me a lot of Blanche from 'The Golden Girls'. Even the Big Daddy angle. She turned out to be great friend to Tiana, and I wasn't expecting that.
Old 12-12-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Hook, line and sinker. Classic Disney is back. I'm with Time magazine. Movie of the year. This is going to sound odd, but the first 20 minutes of Up were better than all of Princess, but as a whole Princess is a far better film from beginning to end.

I walked away with nary an issue with the film. I expected the movie to feel like Tiana was created merely for marketing to draw in the you black girls into the Princess world but it didn't come across that way at all. She was amazing, up there with Ariel, Belle and Jasmine. The writers nailed it.

Maybe I was reading more into it than I should but I felt Dr. Facilier's song/animation sequence was very reminiscent of Be Our Guest. Lou's number had a strong Bare Necessities vibe and another gave off a I Just Can't Wait to be King feel. The songs were varied and it was great that every character got in on the action and wasn't dominated by one singer. That's something that has been lacking in Disney films since Pocahontas. They became too reliant on one artist (Elton John, Phil Collins, Elvis, etc.) and lost that musical magic.

The voice casting was also superb. It was nice not being dominated by a recognizable cast. Naveen sounded like a low-rent Antonio Banderas though. On the flipside, Keith David (other than Goodman) was the only other one I recognized and he played Falcier perfectly. He was restrained yet still felt over-the-top. He was also the coolest villain we've seen since Jafar. Also, for whatever reason, when we meet Lou for the first time I had it in my mind that he was going to sound like Dom DeLuise. Impossible, I know, but he just had that kind of vibe that if he was still around, he would be the one doing Lou.

Side note, I hadn't seen the Toy Story 3 trailer yet and damn Randy Newman nearly had me in tears during the trailer.

Originally Posted by Raul3

I think time and repeat viewings have softened your view of those films. Next to Cruella DeVil, Ursula is probably Disney's scariest villain. Jafar gets pretty twisted at the end of Aladdin as well. Also, Clayton in Tarzan gets hanged & Scar devoured alive by hyenas. There was some dark shit in the 90's.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Can someone explain how Tiana is a princess? Last I heard, the United States isn't a monarchy.
I know you've seen the film but still felt the need to point out that Ariel, Cinderella and Belle(and probably others I'm forgetting) weren't princesses either until the closing minutes. It's a fairy tale, these girls marry into it.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 12-12-09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-12-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a huge fan of 2D hand drawn animation over pixar 3D animation, im surprised I didnt get into thos film at all. I thought Hercules was even better than this one. It was just okay.

The best animated films of the year are The Secret of Kells and Ponyo by far.
Old 12-12-09, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I know you've seen the film but still felt the need to point out that Ariel, Cinderella and Belle(and probably others I'm forgetting) weren't princesses either until the closing minutes. It's a fairy tale, these girls marry into it.
Ariel was always a princess. Her father is King Triton. She happened to marry a prince, though. Ariel, Aurora and Jasmine are the only ones that come to mind that were princesses from birth. Tiana, Cinderella, Belle and Snow White all married into a dynasty.

As for Mama Odie and 'Dig a Little Deeper':
Spoiler:
I interpreted the song as saying that you must look deep inside, love yourself and others and you will be happy - and when she came to accept Naveen as he was, they'd become human again. However, Mama Odie went on to tell them that Charlotte would have to kiss Naveen. That seemed kind of superficial and odd to me. BUT, when the frogs married, Mama Odie shouts "this gon' be good!" as if she knew what was going to happen.

Then they threw in the story about 'when we kissed I became a princess and a princess kissed the frog' and it ruined that moment to me. It would've been better had Mama Odie sent them on their way to find Charlotte as an avenue for them to bond and fall in love, causing them to break the spell. Maybe that is what happened, but there was no dialogue indicating such.

Last edited by mraw; 12-12-09 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-12-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

King Triton Duh.
Old 12-13-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We saw this last night. Liked it pretty well. Love the jazzy music. Louis is by far my favorite character. Let's get a spin off with him and Baloo! There seemed to be a lot of visual references to past Disney characters. Those were fun to catch. And . . .

Spoiler:
that scene in the swamp with the frogs and the three dumb Cajuns trying to catch them was more Looney Tunes than ANYTHING Warners has put out in years. Loved the hell out of that scene.
Old 12-13-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://incontention.com/?p=19040 You can listen to a pretty good song from the movie in full over at In Contention.

In the meantime, I posted my review here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41146...-the-frog-the/ Liked it but didn't love it.
Old 12-13-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Took my 4 year old daughter and she nearly fell asleep. I didn't hear any kids laughing. Afraid this one just doesn't have the Disney magic.
Old 12-13-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed it, and I rank it higher then a lot of the "classic" animated films that I've been underwhelmed with (Sleeping Beauty, Snow White) but not nearly as good as the 90's pinnacle films like Lion King and Aladdin for me. I thought it dragged a bit in the middle which really brought it down a bit for me but the lead up to the ending was one of the most heartwarming moments I've seen in awhile which brought it right back up for me. I enjoyed the characters quite a bit, but I didn't think the music was quite there which also brought my enjoyment down a bit (and I do like jazz).

I was definitely thinking throughout the movie how the character designs of crocodiles and snakes were classic Disney.

As for the end,
Spoiler:
Ray's death was one of the most shocking things i've seen in an animated film, and yet the pulled it off magically by putting him up there in the stars. That alone won me over from "this movie is ok" to "this movie is very good."

Up was still better for me this year, as far as animated films go though.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-13-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Took my 4 year old daughter and she nearly fell asleep. I didn't hear any kids laughing. Afraid this one just doesn't have the Disney magic.
I saw it with my 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son and they couldn't take their eyes off the screen. Still talking about it weeks later.

And the kids in the audience with us seemed to enjoy it as well.
Old 12-13-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, my two were literally on the edges of their seats the entire time. The theater was 3/4 full and it got a round of applause when the credits started rolling.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
but I didn't think the music was quite there which also brought my enjoyment down a bit (and I do like jazz).
I think they worked well enough in the context of the film but none really stand out on their own.
Old 12-14-09, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Keith David (other than Goodman) was the only other one I recognized and he played Falcier perfectly. He was restrained yet still felt over-the-top. He was also the coolest villain we've seen since Jafar.
Keith David's voice work is pretty much always superb.
Old 12-14-09, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I loved the animation style and music but the story ... uh, it was kind of meh some of the physical humor early on was a tad too forced IMO. Good, but (as others have pointed out) not great

... and who would have thunk it, that another movie, animated out of clay, would be a far more emotional movie and make me weep at it's sentimental ending - this film though was sort of on automated pilot

Last edited by Giles; 12-14-09 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 02:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Coraline or Fantastic Mr. Fox?
Old 12-14-09, 02:45 PM

neither ... 'Mary and Max'
Old 12-14-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
neither ... 'Mary and Max'
Never heard of it. Is it on DVD?
Old 12-14-09, 03:34 PM

I absolutely loved it. It's definitely in my top 5 of the year at moment. This has been a great year for animation: this, Up, Ponyo, Monster vs. Aliens (I liked it), Coraline, Cloudy-Meatballs. Of course crap churns out too: 9, Ice Age 3, Christmas Carol,
Old 12-14-09, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
Never heard of it. Is it on DVD?
on dvd, no not yet - I gather it will get a limited theatrical release - and for the record, this film is NOT geared to children - it's a PG-13 at least, well, no, come to think of it - it's definately an 'R' cause well ... you just have to see it

Last edited by Giles; 12-14-09 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mary and Max is currently available on PAL dvd
Old 12-14-09, 10:32 PM

I was assuming Thrush was referring to a Region 1 NTSC release
Old 12-15-09, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Mary and Max can be seen On Demand for $4.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.