DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What was the very First movie you remember seeing? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/477667-what-very-first-movie-you-remember-seeing.html)

digitalfreaknyc 09-14-06 09:19 AM

What was the very First movie you remember seeing?

Mine was Bambi, I think. They had a re-release in 1982 and my dad took me.

I absolutely hated it.

I even rented it years later and couldn't get through it.

Groucho 09-14-06 09:22 AM

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

Back before home video, Disney would re-release its films from time to time, I saw this in theaters when I was three.

The magic mirror scared the shit out of me. Every time it appeared I would turn around and look at the kid sitting behind me.

Randy Miller III 09-14-06 09:22 AM

E.T., in the theater. I was too young to remember most of it, but I remember being there.

Groucho 09-14-06 09:24 AM

So, which was it, Randy...Bambi or Being There? :mad:

beatccr 09-14-06 09:28 AM

Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird -1985. Big Bird got relocated b/c it was better thought that he'd fit in with a bunch of birds instead of humans and muppets.

My parents took me for my 2nd birthday. It was the first time I had ever gone to the movies. I remember an ad for the My Little Pony movie. I also remember being allowed to get popcorn and a grape soda which I remember spilling because I was so excited and getting scolded by my Dad. The movie itself I don't remember much although it has come on TV several times since then and I've caught it once or twice. Interestingly I went for 9 years after that without seeing another movie in the theater. So I went from Big Bird to The Beverly Hillbillies movie.

SoSpacey 09-14-06 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by beatccr
Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird -1985. Big Bird got relocated b/c it was better thought that he'd fit in with a bunch of birds instead of humans and muppets.

My parents took me for my 2nd birthday. It was the first time I had ever gone to the movies. I remember an ad for the My Little Pony movie. I also remember being allowed to get popcorn and a grape soda which I remember spilling because I was so excited and getting scolded by my Dad. The movie itself I don't remember much although it has come on TV several times since then and I've caught it once or twice. Interestingly I went for 9 years after that without seeing another movie in the theater. So I went from Big Bird to The Beverly Hillbillies movie.

remembering a movie when you are 2? WOW. My first MEMORY isnt until I was 4 or 5. Your memory goes against anything I was taught was possible.

EdTheRipper 09-14-06 09:34 AM

I remember seeing ET at the movies a bunch of times when I was little.

Giles 09-14-06 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
...Disney would re-release its films from time to time...

yup, I remember them myself. Pinocchio was the first one I remember.

Brian Shannon 09-14-06 09:51 AM

Fantasia

Duh Vuh Duh 09-14-06 09:58 AM

On vacation in California, my uncle took me and my brother to see Return of the Jedi in the theater when I was 5.

gryffinmaster 09-14-06 10:10 AM

Either Ghostbusters or TMNT - probably Ghostbusters, though. :up:

slop101 09-14-06 10:17 AM

Star Wars in 1977 - I was 7 years old - it's still one of my fondest movie memories, as at the time, even though I had seen plenty of old movies on TV, I had no idea they could be so magical.

Little did I know that Lucas would rape that memory... :)

Damed 09-14-06 10:39 AM

The Black Cauldron!

RichC2 09-14-06 10:42 AM

The Witches is the first I actually remember seeing, though I'm sure I'd seen others before it, I was 7.

Palaver 09-14-06 10:48 AM

Pete's Dragon

Numanoid 09-14-06 10:49 AM

Although I have vague memories of other films (like Bedknobs & Broomsticks), the first movie I have vivid memories of seeing was Blazing Saddles when I was 6 or 7 years old. My dad was a big western fan, and I'm sure he didn't have a clue what he was getting into. I remember my jaw dropping when the church choir sang, "Our town is turning into shit". :lol: Strangely, we stayed for the whole show.

GoldenJCJ 09-14-06 10:53 AM

I remember my mom taking me and my brother to see Return of the Jedi in theaters when I was 3.

I don't remember anything really excpet the theater I was at had the curtain that opened and closed before and after the flick and I also remember my mom leaning over and reading the subtitles from Jabba's lair to me.

Geofferson 09-14-06 10:59 AM

Swamp Thing at the drive-in with my dad.

obscurelabel 09-14-06 11:05 AM

Yikes I'm old.

It was The Sound of Music in Atlanta sometime in early 1966 (I was 6). At the now defunct Columbia Theater with its enormous screen. My family took a weekend trip to see this and take in an Atlanta Braves baseball game (they had just moved from Milwaukee - the Braves, not my family).

I looked up the release dates for TSoM on IMDB which says March 1965, but I don't think it was unusual for major releases in those days to play for more than a year ... I remember movies being in theaters for six months as recently as the 1980s. Now they can disappear in two weeks.

Ah, nostalgia ...

milo bloom 09-14-06 11:12 AM

Pretty sure the original Star Wars. I was only 3 in 1977, so it might have been one of the later re-releases.

I also remember seeing Airplane! in the theaters because the bare boob scene made quite an impression on me.

jeffkjoe 09-14-06 11:33 AM

JAWS.

I was a 5 year old kindergarten sitting in the front row, on a dare from my brother and sister, watching Captain Quint spitting up blood and being eaten.

I remember feeling dizzy after the movie.

devilshalo 09-14-06 11:42 AM

A re-release of Pinocchio... I was 4.

turborobb 09-14-06 11:50 AM

in the theater it was one of the Witch Mountain films.

shumway 09-14-06 11:53 AM

Empire Strikes back for me. I was just about 3 at the time. The only thing I really remember from it was the asteroid and the spaceworm thing. After that it would be ET.

Joe Molotov 09-14-06 11:54 AM

The Aristocats (1987 re-release)

That's the first movie that I can still (vaguely) remember seeing.