DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What was the very First movie you remember seeing? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/477667-what-very-first-movie-you-remember-seeing.html)

FantasticVSDoom 09-14-06 11:58 AM

It was Star Wars...I dont remember seeing the movie per se, but I remember afterwards my dad and my best friend going to pick up toy light sabers.

MechanicalMan 09-14-06 12:08 PM

The Empire Strikes Back

mattjones124 09-14-06 12:25 PM

I remember seeing Alladin at the theatres with my Grandma...I got a sweet cup with a genie head.

Shannon Nutt 09-14-06 12:26 PM

Mine's a pretty good story...my parents were SUPPOSED to take me and my older brother to see Bambi, but we got there late...therefore, the first movie I ever saw in the theater was this theatrical masterpiece:

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/673833h.jpg

TylerDurden_73 09-14-06 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Palaver
Pete's Dragon

This was my first movie also.I was about 3. I don't really remember what it was about, but I do remember Mickey Rooney, and the Dragon. I also remember that people were allowed to smoke in the theater. Man... Did that suck.

Mondo Kane 09-14-06 02:02 PM

One of the Benji movies.

Originally Posted by beatccr
Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird -1985.

Egad. I remember Weird Science came out that same week and I was dying to see it. But got stuck watching Big Bird because my older sis and her friend wanted to see 'Science' alone (Couldn't put up a fight in those days, I guess)
But I eventually got to see it about a week later. And I wasn't let down!

iggystar 09-14-06 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

Me too! I was about 5 when my grandfather took me, but that was in '76.

Dr. DVD 09-14-06 02:25 PM

Star Wars is not just the first movie I remember going to, it is my first visual memory period.

Groucho 09-14-06 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by iggystar
Me too! I was about 5 when my grandfather took me, but that was in '76.

That's the same year I saw it. I actually tracked down a poster from that release on ebay, but the bidding got too high.

NitroJMS 09-14-06 02:46 PM

I remember seeing Bambi and ET when I was still young. Actually remembering the plot of the film probably goes to The Rescuers Down Under or The Little Mermaid.

nodeerforamonth 09-14-06 02:58 PM

Charlotte's Web

EddieN 09-14-06 03:10 PM

A 1974 re-release of Disney's Alice in Wonderland.

*edit* Or maybe it was 2001: A Space Odyssey. Can't recall for sure. Christos! If those are the first two movies I can recall seeing in the theater, it's no wonder I'm a little warped.

resinrats 09-14-06 03:14 PM

Bednobs & Broomsticks. Not the first release but a rerelease of it (I know it now but not then). Possibly one of the cartoon Disney movies but I'm not sure.

Other than Disney, I really didn't see many movies at theaters til at least 6. I did see Star Wars and Empire in the theater during one of the rereleases because Jedi came out soon after and I was into Star Wars then so it made sense.

rw2516 09-14-06 04:07 PM

I believe it wasSon of Flubber around 1961 or so when I was three. For most of my childhood I had vague recollections of Fred MacMurray driving a flying car shooting a weather ray-gun. Finally saw it again in the early 70s.
The first I have a vivid memory of is the Bond film Thunderball in 1965 when I was 7. Walked out of that theater hooked on movies for life.

Dorsalphin 09-14-06 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
E.T., in the theater. I was too young to remember most of it, but I remember being there.

Me too. I basically remember the bike scene and that's about it.

DeputyDave 09-14-06 04:55 PM

The first movie I remember seeing in the theater was a giant bug movie. I know it was about spiders going crazy and attacking. I think most of the spiders were normal size (for tarauntulas) but there was one scene where a Deputy ( :D ) was being eaten by a giant spider. I remember him hanging upside down and being eaten through a mouth on the bottom of the torso. I also thought some spiders ate that way for years. I wish I knew the name of the movie so I could check it out again.

Iron_Giant 09-14-06 06:06 PM

"Wizard of Oz"

The monkey fly sceen scared me big time.

1968 or so - Thanksgiving.

MechanicalMan 09-14-06 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
"Wizard of Oz"

The monkey fly sceen scared me big time.

That reminds me, I thought The Wiz was very unsettling.

Mr. Cinema 09-14-06 06:27 PM

I believe it was Star Wars.

shizawn 09-14-06 06:46 PM

The Empire Strikes Back at the now defunct Laurel Theater in San Carlos, California.

Rypro 525 09-14-06 06:50 PM

It was either the Pinoccio re-release in 91, beauty and the beast, or Ernest Scared Stupid. Actually, the first one i can recall was home alone 2, seeing it with my babysitter at the lowes valley center 9 (that place is still a piece of shit).

Drexl 09-14-06 08:16 PM

I think it was Popeye when I was five.

Fincher Fan 09-14-06 08:23 PM

Transformers: The Movie. So you guys think that Lucas raped your childhood? You got nothing on Bay! ;)

Heartagram 09-14-06 08:25 PM

Edward Scissorhands the only memory i have of this is being terrified crying when
Spoiler:
Edward falls out of the window and dies in the end.

mrhan 09-14-06 08:54 PM

I was eight and my martial arts teacher took a bunch of us kids to see Enter the Dragon in 1973. We didn't expect the nude scene; so that was a first also. :D