DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What was the very First movie you remember seeing? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/477667-what-very-first-movie-you-remember-seeing.html)

thematahara 09-14-06 09:51 PM

Wow, all these people telling of good wholesome first movies like Star Wars, Bambi, etc. make my first movie experience stand out like a sore thumb.

First movie I saw in the movie theatre was Aliens. I was 5 years old at the time. My most vivid memory is sitting in the theater and people jumping out of their seats what seemed like every 10 seconds. I remember really loving the movie and it remains in my top 5 to this day.

Needless to say that in my house I wasnt sheltered from R rated movies.

Joe Molotov 09-14-06 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by thematahara

The first R-rated movie I saw was The Matrix when I was 16 and first one I saw in theaters was Highlander Endgame when I was 17. :lol:

grem458 09-14-06 09:57 PM

Mine was the 1975 re-release of Bambi. I was seven and I remember screaming teenage girls and something about the police arriving. Needless to say my mom and dad hustled my little sister and I out before the end of the show. Didn't see the whole thing until years later.

The Infidel 09-14-06 10:04 PM

The first movies I actually retained memories of from the youngest age were horror movies, and the memories were probably retained because of how much they frightened me and/or gave me nightmares. I remember three of them: Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, Trilogy of Terror and Gargoyles. I'm sure I saw other movies, but those are the ones I remember.

Eric D. 09-14-06 10:16 PM

I was four when I saw The Little Mermaid.

circes 09-14-06 10:50 PM

"Jaws" at the drive in with the parental units when i was five I have been afraid of deep water i can't see the bottem of since.

Artman 09-14-06 11:19 PM

I'm told we went to see ET in theaters but I don't remember. I remember watching cartoons when I was younger (including the Star Wars Droids special that only aired once - with the machine that sucked the life out of droids - ha ha), but now that I stop and think about it... it's tough to think of the first movie.

I'm saying:
An American Tail - in theaters
The Dark Crystal - at home

asianxcore 09-15-06 01:56 AM

I was only 4 or 5 at the time, but my mom took me to see "The Lost Boys". :)

Muad'Dib 09-15-06 07:29 AM

Mine would have to be The Empire Strikes Back.

matome 09-15-06 08:13 AM

I think mine may have been Superman (1978).

Charlie Goose 09-15-06 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Heartagram
Edward Scissorhands the only memory i have of this is being terrified crying when
Spoiler:
Edward falls out of the window and dies in the end.

You should probably watch it again, because that's not what happened. -ptth-
Spoiler:
Edward causes Anthony Michael Hall to fall out the window after skewering him.

Anyway, I remember seeing a zillion Disney movies when I was wee, new ones and re-releases. Some of the earliest I can remember are the Herbie the Love Bug movies, and the Dexter Riley "trilogy" with Kurt Russell.

TimeandTide 09-16-06 01:15 AM

Star Wars in London in '77, I believe.

sixerb 09-16-06 08:16 AM

remember standing in line for a couple of hours to see E.T...... and it was worth it, one of my greatest childhood memories

astrochimp 09-16-06 09:42 AM

There might have been some before it but the first one that stuck with me is Old Yeller.

movielib 09-16-06 10:15 AM

The first I remember is Alice in Wonderland (original 1951 release).

Lt Ripley 09-16-06 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by thematahara
Wow, all these people telling of good wholesome first movies like Star Wars, Bambi, etc. make my first movie experience stand out like a sore thumb.

First movie I saw in the movie theatre was Aliens. I was 5 years old at the time. My most vivid memory is sitting in the theater and people jumping out of their seats what seemed like every 10 seconds. I remember really loving the movie and it remains in my top 5 to this day.

Got you trumped. :D My second memory of seeing a movie in a theater was A L I E N in 79. I was 5 as well. I have posted about it before on here. Forgot which thread though.

My first theater memory is Star Wars.

Lt Ripley 09-16-06 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
The first R-rated movie I saw was The Matrix when I was 16 and first one I saw in theaters was Highlander Endgame when I was 17. :lol:

Wow! Are you serious? I can't remember not seeing rated R films.

I can say I remember going to the Matrix and having no idea what it was about. I don't even recall seeing previews for it. My friends thought I was nuts, but I was so busy with college and work at that time. Needless to say, I was blown away when I saw it.

alfredog1976 09-16-06 12:10 PM

"Tron" for me...and the projector broke!

Bill Geiger 09-16-06 10:58 PM

Orca (I think)...Drive-In Theater

zombeaner 09-16-06 11:23 PM

E.T. When I was 5

MrX 09-16-06 11:26 PM

E.t.

Michael Ballack 09-17-06 05:53 AM

It was probablly a Disney film. I want to say Pinocchio. First movie theater experience that I remember was seeing Rocky 4. I remember being scared when Apollo died. I also remember watching the american glove and russian glove flying torwards each other and exploding on the big screen.

Turd Ferguson 09-17-06 09:35 AM

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

CKMorpheus 09-17-06 02:09 PM

First movie I remember seeing in theaters was Terminator 2. I vividly remember Ah-nold taking off his arm and showing them the endo-skeleton inside. That image stayed with me for years.

Apone 09-17-06 03:28 PM

Aliens and I was scared shitless! For animation film I think it was Disney's Bambi or Alice in the Wonderland.