Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

THE THING: prequel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: THE THING: prequel

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
There is a huge (even exaggerated) difference between the two as they sit and talk. So much so that it seems obvious to me that they went out of their way to show it.
It's an unsettling scene by design, I suspect. The first time you watch it, you're waiting for something to happen and then... it just ends.

I don't know if the breath thing was by design, or just something that happened during production.

But between the lame excuse and change of clothes, it's pretty obvious that Childs has been infected.
Old 02-08-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got around to watching the prequel/remake last night. As a big fan of the Carpenter one (which I think I've seen about 8 times), I was a bit underwhelmed. It was a well-made movie and by no means awful. I just didn't find it very suspenseful, and am not really sure how it could be for anyone who saw and remembered the JC version.

In fact, the only really interesting aspect of it for fans of the '82 version would have to be on an academic level - catching all the callbacks and "references" of the events in the previous film. But it since it followed so closely the structure of that film, and since we already know more or less what happened to the Norwegians, it was virtually impossible not to know what was going to happen in each scene of this one before it actually did. In other words, a real suspense-killer.

Which is unfortunate, because it was clearly done with a lot of respect and affection for the previous film. And the way they referenced scenes and events from the JC film was clever, if not exactly a good strategy to build suspense in the new version. Like I said, that did make it an interesting film to watch from a purely academic perspective.

On the plus side, I thought MEW acquitted herself quite well as the lead. I wasn't certain she would work in the role, but she was a likable and credible heroine. On the negative side, I thought the CGI was mediocre. The practical effects shown in the "making of" feature looked much better, and more of them should have made it into the movie. The creature itself was kind of a yawner. After all these years since the JC version, we (horror buffs, anyway) have seen countless variations of the same theme, and it's pretty dull at this point.

One other complaint -

Spoiler:
I was surprised they cut the scene where the group catches one of their own just as he has almost-but-not-quite transformed into The Thing. That was one of the most memorable scenes of the JC version. While it wasn't done nearly as well here, since they seemed to be "re-doing" every memorable beat of the prior film, it surprised me they cut it from the final version (though it can be seen in the deleted scenes).

Overall, it wasn't an embarrassment to the memory of the JC film, just not as original or creative as fans like myself might have hoped for. I think it would probably work much better for those who have never seen or couldn't really recall the previous version.
Old 02-08-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by filmerp
Unfortunately, it is impossible to "enjoy" the 2011 film :P
Hey now. You list the top 10 movies you saw last year and I'll bet I can pick one out that I'd only be able to watch if my eyes were propped open "A Clockwork Orange" style.
Old 02-09-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched this again yesterday. I liked it slightly more the second time. It's not a great movie, maybe not even good, but it's passable enough as a prequel to Carpenter's film. I won't argue against the fact that it was one major missed opportunity to create something that perfectly complements the '82 film, but when it ended I immediately felt like throwing in JC's version, and I did. That's consolation enough for me to enjoy it for what it is.
Old 02-29-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For those interested, a Q&A with the director.

http://www.outpost31.com/QAMVH.html

It's a pretty good read and a good source for some nagging questions. For example, it was by studio request that the transformations contain little blood.
Old 02-29-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this worth seeing? I just saw The Thing for the first time over the weekend. I think I need to watch this move again when im not so tired, Starting it at midnight after a having a handfull of beers may not have been the greatest idea. It was still a really good movie so I hope this prequel will be worth seeing.
Old 02-29-12, 09:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ Doesn't hold a candle to the original, but definitely worth viewing. There are a couple positive DVD Talk reviews posted as well -- may want to check those out too.
Old 02-29-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's most definitely worth watching.
Old 03-01-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JayDerek
For those interested, a Q&A with the director.

http://www.outpost31.com/QAMVH.html

It's a pretty good read and a good source for some nagging questions. For example, it was by studio request that the transformations contain little blood.
Thanks for linking to this. That site is essential viewing for all fans of the film.
Old 03-01-12, 04:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Thanks for linking to this. That site is essential viewing for all fans of the film.
all three of them.
Old 03-01-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
all three of them.
The site is almost entirely related to Carpenter's version, so that'd be a bit more than three.
Old 07-09-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Finally caught this in Cinamax.

Only th g connecting this to the older one is the dog chase?

Also what hpened to MEW? She torched the guy in the truck than that was it?
Old 07-09-12, 09:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Only th g connecting this to the older one is the dog chase?
No, when they explore the Norwegian camp in the beginning of the original they find the aftermath of the events of this film.
Old 07-09-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
No, when they explore the Norwegian camp in the beginning of the original they find the aftermath of the events of this film.
Old 07-09-12, 09:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This film wasn't very good, but I will give them credit for going through a lot of trouble to stick with continuity in terms of the crazy shit found in the Norwegian camp. Completely unnecessary, but I appreciated the effort.
Old 07-09-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was joking with the lol.

I knew that was a real answer but laughed as if it was a typical groucho remark. Oh well.
Old 07-10-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Such a garbage film.
Old 07-10-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't seen this so excuse my ignorance.

So, basically this movie happens IMMEDIATELY before the original (well, not the original, but you know what I mean)

It's been awhile since I've seen the beginning of The Thing, but it starts out with the dog being chased right? This movie ends with the dog being chased?

If that's true, then that's actually kind of cool. I like it when movies at least attempt to keep continuity.
Old 07-10-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido

So, basically this movie happens IMMEDIATELY before the original (well, not the original, but you know what I mean)

It's been awhile since I've seen the beginning of The Thing, but it starts out with the dog being chased right? This movie ends with the dog being chased?

If that's true, then that's actually kind of cool. I like it when movies at least attempt to keep continuity.
Yes to all, more or less. At least that was how I took it when watching.
Old 07-10-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido

Truthfully, the best part of the movie in my opinion is the last scene, which brings back that classic score from Carpenter's Thing. Other then that, it's a pretty forgettable movie.
Old 07-10-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Truthfully, the best part of the movie in my opinion is the last scene, which brings back that classic score from Carpenter's Thing. Other then that, it's a pretty forgettable movie.

Ditto. I watched this a few months ago and the crappy CGI really took me out of it.

Just what happened to MEW anyway?
Old 07-13-12, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Ditto. I watched this a few months ago and the crappy CGI really took me out of it.

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas