Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

THE THING: prequel

Old 10-11-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: THE THING: prequel

Originally Posted by filmerp View Post
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8faq5amdK30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I still hold a cautious excitement for this week's release...
Old 10-11-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No reviews on Rottentomatoes.com yet. That's not a good sign.
Old 10-11-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude View Post
No reviews on Rottentomatoes.com yet. That's not a good sign.
actually there are 2 and they are both positive
Old 10-11-11, 02:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

That music vid was hilarious. Thought it was really Frank for 30 seconds or so.
Old 10-11-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

http://creaturefeatures.ticketbud.com/thing?OLRD

Mayday…Mayday…can anyone hear me? We found something in the ice…In 1982, Director John Carpenter unleashed a motion picture that shocked audiences and set new standards in terror and special effects. Now, nearly 30 years later, Creature Features proudly presents an unprecedented reunion screening of this cinematic masterpiece at the Arclight Cinema in Hollywood on Thursday, October 13th at 7:30pm. This special event showcases Carpenter's vision in its vivid, widescreen glory for one last big-screen viewing before Universal Pictures premieres its chilling new prequel the following day. Admission includes: -- Cast and crew members recount their personal insights and recollections with host Drew McWeeny of www.hitfix.com. (Guests to be announced). -- A spectacular display of original props, artwork and memorabilia from both the 1951 version and the 1982 remake, gathered exclusively for this event. -- Commemorative program book created especially for this event with rare photos and commentary. -- Special merchandise manufactured exclusively for this event, including a deluxe limited edition screen print illustrated by noted comic artist Tommy Lee Edwards. -- and much more! Tickets are available on a first come, first served basis for $20 per person.

Old 10-11-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
actually there are 2 and they are both positive
2 more have shown up, but they are in the negative group. This is one of those films where I'm buying a ticket no matter what the critical reaction is.
Old 10-11-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
http://creaturefeatures.ticketbud.com/thing?OLRD

Mayday…Mayday…can anyone hear me? We found something in the ice…In 1982, Director John Carpenter unleashed a motion picture that shocked audiences and set new standards in terror and special effects. Now, nearly 30 years later, Creature Features proudly presents an unprecedented reunion screening of this cinematic masterpiece at the Arclight Cinema in Hollywood on Thursday, October 13th at 7:30pm. This special event showcases Carpenter's vision in its vivid, widescreen glory for one last big-screen viewing before Universal Pictures premieres its chilling new prequel the following day. Admission includes: -- Cast and crew members recount their personal insights and recollections with host Drew McWeeny of www.hitfix.com. (Guests to be announced). -- A spectacular display of original props, artwork and memorabilia from both the 1951 version and the 1982 remake, gathered exclusively for this event. -- Commemorative program book created especially for this event with rare photos and commentary. -- Special merchandise manufactured exclusively for this event, including a deluxe limited edition screen print illustrated by noted comic artist Tommy Lee Edwards. -- and much more! Tickets are available on a first come, first served basis for $20 per person.

I've been hoping that the 1982 version will circulate back into a few theaters, but haven't heard any buzz in my area.
Old 10-12-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
2 more have shown up, but they are in the negative group. This is one of those films where I'm buying a ticket no matter what the critical reaction is.
same here.

I'm not going into this film with ANY crazy notion of it surpassing Carpenter's film - so I'll have zero expectations.

For me, the best case scenario is that it'll be a fun little flick and one in which I could do double feature nights occasionally with this and the '82 flick.
Old 10-12-11, 09:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm more intrigued to see if this movie ends with any footage from the start of the '82 movie...
Old 10-12-11, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
I'm more intrigued to see if this movie ends with any footage from the start of the '82 movie...
They'd have to clean up that film a bit more to get it in sync w/ the newer stock...visually speaking. BUT YES...it'd be cool.
Old 10-12-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few more reviews are in at RT. 11 total and at 40%.
Old 10-13-11, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now at 35% and it sounds like it's going to be a CGI shit-fest. What a shock.
Old 10-13-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to that screening of The Thing that inri222 posted. I can say that Carpenter is going to be there for sure... and so is Drew Struzan. I'm bringing my original one-sheet for the film, and then I'm going to geek the fuck out.
Old 10-13-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Awesome KC. I'm sure you'll have a blast.
Old 10-13-11, 02:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I agree - although I really hope it's nowhere as bad as 'Dream House' a film I probably should have read the reviews before spending $11.50 on it.
Old 10-13-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's up to 39%. Ebert gave it 2.5 stars. I don't expect a film like this to get rave reviews, but at least it's getting a decent share of positives.
Old 10-13-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The consensus I'm gathering is that it's a tepid remake of Carpenter's version, not nearly as enjoyable or creative, and it's full of piss-poor CGI.

Shocked. I mean, really, I'm just speechless.
Old 10-13-11, 04:34 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

Just read a review about this movie by Andy Gray (Shout Out) where he describes it as having state of the art special effects but where "they forgot the most important thing - to make it scary". He also says that "a lack of character development mutes any effort at giving the movie any sociopolitical subtext. Attempts to develop any emotional connections among the characters largely fail".

Spoiler:
Looks like a prequel where pretty much the same thing happens to the Norwegian team that happened in Carpenter's Thing, with the exception that these guys discover the ship first. Lots of sfx/cgi/gore, nothing really new storywise, except the presence of a woman (that the Norwegians don't particularly care for assuming a position of power) in this one. Wonder if she takes Kurt Russell's place in this prequel?

I'd still like to see it but I'll wait for it to hit the $1 theaters. -kd5-
Old 10-13-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just remember, the critics HATED the John Carpenter version when it came out. It only became a revered classic over time.
Old 10-14-11, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
technically it does but it feels forced
Spoiler:
after the main credits start, you find out that 2 others survived, their dog runs out on them, and they get in a helicopter and start shooting at the dog, which is basically how the original started

as far as the movie goes, i hated it. very bland and kinda boring. And watching Carpenter's version right before hand wasn't a very good idea, as this version is a glorified rehash with different characters and mostly CGI creature effects/kills. None of the chracters are really memerable. And while gory, the fact that it was mostly cg took away from it especially knowing that it was done for real for the most part in Carpenters.

And outside of the bit i mentioned in the spoiler tags, this really isn't a "prequel" outside of the fact that it is set in 1982. ie, if your hoping for a reference or sight of Russell's character, you'll be disapointed
Old 10-14-11, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

why would you have any reference or sight on Russell's character? I mean.. the only real link was the Norwegian which I thought they tied it up fairly well. Sure, a couple of loose ends still remained and there was a lot of rehashing of situations, but I enjoyed it.
Old 10-14-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the screening last night was a mixed bag. On the plus side, they had some cool props on display from the original film (a couple forearms, courtesy of Bob Burns) and Carpenter's (the Palmer split-head & the saucer from the opening), along with some lobby cards, Drew Struzan's original painting of the one sheet and a few other items. Everyone got a nice pamphlet that was made especially for the screening. They also had a sweet print (inri222 posted it earlier) that I snagged for $45.

The bad part, which I found out later, is that they screened a digital file. I'm surprised since most screenings of The Thing I see in LA are 35mm, but, hey, whatever. The Q&A was fun since the participants weren't the usual suspects, with guys like Drew Struzan, Alan Howarth, the guy who played Palmer, producer Stuart Cohen (who is old & unintentionally hilarious) and a couple FX people. No major cast members, though, and Carpenter pulled a no-show.

Originally Posted by cactusoly View Post
just remember, the critics HATED the John Carpenter version when it came out. It only became a revered classic over time.
I'm sure this film won't follow suit. I would literally bet my life on it.
Old 10-14-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 269 Posts

at those who are struggling mightily at convincing themselves this is gonna be a good/fun/classic movie, no matter what!
Old 10-15-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
I've been hoping that the 1982 version will circulate back into a few theaters, but haven't heard any buzz in my area.
Me too, if only as some sort of "movie-going" justice for what happened to me in 1982 when I was a teenager. Back then, my brother and I were dropped off at the movie theater to see E.T... again. But once we were there, I told my brother that I was going to instead go to see The Thing playing in the other auditorium (the movie theater had just 2 screens TOTAL - big multiplexes didn't hardly exist back then anywhere). I bought my ticket for The Thing with no problem but then the ticket-tearing guy (who was only a few years older than me) said he wouldn't let me go into The Thing because it was R-rated and an adult wasn't with me. And this theater only having 2 screens made sneaking into a different movie and getting away with it very difficult, so I ended up seeing E.T. again and missed seeing The Thing on the big screen. I was robbed then and still want some sort of justice by finally seeing Carpenter's The Thing on the big screen!
Old 10-15-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the main problem with the CGI effects on the monster is that you see everything in the brightest light possible!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.