Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Masters of Horror

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decapitate Prey
Pardon? Argento completely slays both of them. His old classics are better than the classics of those two, and his recent 'misfires' are a helluva lot more entertaining then either Landis and Carpenters.
Yeah, what??? How is Landis even a master of horror? His horror reputation revolves around one film which IMHO is funnier than it is scary (still a great film).

I'd also have to nominate Miike as a true Master. Sure, being younger than the other guys his films have yet to be considered classics - and we can't say for sure that they will be - but he's made some great horror!
Old 08-27-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last night I watched the so-so Cigarette Burns, which was basically Carpenter remaking In The Mouth Of Madness. As with many of Carpenter's films, the premise is good, then falls apart in the execution. The only person that seemed to be interested was Udo Kier.
Old 08-28-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Erotic tale starring Meat Loaf?
Something I never expected....
Old 08-29-06, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cactusoly
It looks like most people either really love or really hate "Homecoming". I wonder if politics have anything to do with it?
Homecoming was retarded because of it's obviousness and lack of original ideas. It was almost like a kid spun his 'rock against bush' cd for a week, got really angry at the government, mixed it with another big trend: zombies, and wrote this script.
Old 08-29-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Anyone see Imprint yet?
Old 08-29-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles
Homecoming was retarded because of it's obviousness and lack of original ideas. It was almost like a kid spun his 'rock against bush' cd for a week, got really angry at the government, mixed it with another big trend: zombies, and wrote this script.
Yeah, but name one Zombie movie where the socio-political critique isn't rather obvious and ham-handed. Unless you happen to be Fulci, you simply don't make a zombie movie without having some reductive, over-simplified cultural meme in mind!

Hey, I love Romero's critiques of racism and consumerism in Night/Dawn, but I'm not so cloistered as to think they rise to the level of the brilliantly incisive treatise by a staggeringly perceptive social commentator.

I mean, c'mon, man, these are zombie movies. If you want deep insight minus any whiff of exploitation or genre banality, I'd suggest that Showtimes "Masters of Horror" series is probably not the place to find it.
Old 08-29-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by d2cheer
Anyone see Imprint yet?
I saw Imprint a few months ago. Through more "unofficial" channels ... it's easy to find if you know the usual ways (and since I pay for Showtime and they didn't deliver, I have no qualms watching this way). Here's a mini-review I wrote somewhere else back in April:

Ranks near the top of MoH episodes, for me. There were flaws, to be sure. But this is an ep that presents an original and unpredictable story, and is the one case of an actual "master" working at the peak of his abilities. There's no compromise in Miike's work here, and "Imprint" fits in very nicely with themes that he's interested in (I'll keep things "spoiler-free" for now). The first half is kind of slow, but that torture scene is as cringe-inducing as you've heard. It's realism is what I think scared away Showtime. They show "Ichii", which has far more graphic torture, and had no trouble with Udo Kier feeding his intestines into a film projector in another ep. But they were more cartoonish. It's a classic US censorship thing -- graphic violence done in a fun and silly way is OK. But make violence unpleasant to watch and people start having problems. Anyway, back to ep ... after that point, I really didn't know where Miike was going -- and I like that. The episode was extremely well-shot -- far above made-for-tv standards. Like a lot of Miike, I'm not sure I got everything at the end ... but that's part of the game that Miike likes to play with his audience. Problems? Well, as others noted, the acting is god-awful. Youki was very good -- everyone else, very bad. I wish Miike just did this in Japanese -- too many people seemed like they were speaking English strickly phoenetically (no understanding, just memorization). Drago didn't have this excuse. I'm not remembering specific past roles by him. Is he really this awful, or is maybe his performance more a reflection of Miike's inexperience in directing English-speaking actors? And the "monster" at the end was laughter inducing -- which didn't seem to fit the tone that Miike was trying to set.

Still, I highly recommend you all see it and see what you think. Don't go into it expecting the greatest most-horrfic thing ever. And don't go in expecting run-of-the-mill horror, like most in MoH. It does fit nicely into Miike's works like "Audition", "Gozu", "Box".
Old 08-30-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Sounds Like, the entry by Brad Anderson interests me most for Season 2. I loved Session 9 and The Machinist.
Old 09-01-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Sounds Like, the entry by Brad Anderson interests me most for Season 2. I loved Session 9 and The Machinist.
Same here... I will probably get Showtimet to check it out.
Old 09-06-06, 01:37 AM

Masters of horror 2

The V word of the new season is going to be the best episode of the show yet! I can't wait to see the twist they do on vampires for the show!
Old 09-06-06, 01:41 AM

The V word of the second season is the episode that we have been waiting for! This episode is the one I cant wait to see and is gonna be horror goodness. Cant wait to see the twist that is done on vampires!
Old 09-10-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Yeah, but name one Zombie movie where the socio-political critique isn't rather obvious and ham-handed. Unless you happen to be Fulci, you simply don't make a zombie movie without having some reductive, over-simplified cultural meme in mind!

Hey, I love Romero's critiques of racism and consumerism in Night/Dawn, but I'm not so cloistered as to think they rise to the level of the brilliantly incisive treatise by a staggeringly perceptive social commentator.

I mean, c'mon, man, these are zombie movies. If you want deep insight minus any whiff of exploitation or genre banality, I'd suggest that Showtimes "Masters of Horror" series is probably not the place to find it.
I'm not looking for any kind of insightful political ideas when I watch Masters of horror, but if they're shoved in my face, I'm going to comment on them. The problem with Homecoming was the fact that it was just two popular documentaries (Fahrenheit 911 and Unprecedented) mixed with zombies. As much as I Liked both of those documentaries I'm just sick of hearing the same story over and over again. It's just plain boring to me. IT's such a trend right now to tell that story. Movie makers, bands, etc. They all think they're politically inclined because Michael Moore told them Bush and his war are bad. People are turning into hippies again. Why did the hippies die out? They died out because you can only take someone saying 'the government is bad' seriously for short amount of time. After that you just want to punch them in the face because they're all saying the same shit and not creating any original ideas to keep people's attention. At least with Romero he's making more of a general statement than something that's only going to be relevant for four years. Shit, he's been throwing chapters on the same story for 28 years now and it still has something interesting to say about society.

On the plus side Argento's MOH episode was the best thing I've seen in ages...
Old 09-11-06, 02:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've got Imprint on pre-order. I've loved Miike for years and I'll watch just about anything by him.

As for the rest, well, they're a great example of why modern horror in America seems dead. Even the better ones were still very conventional. Granted, almost all of them were better than most recent horror movies that actually came out in the theaters, but this is a wonderful chance for directors to take a step off the beaten track, and I don't think anyone did that in the first season.
Old 09-12-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've got Imprint on pre-order. I've loved Miike for years and I'll watch just about anything by him.
Rue Morgue magazine ran a good story with some pics from the episode. They ran a pic as their cover and that was enough to make me drool. There's some truly twisted shit going on and I can't wait to see it.
Old 09-13-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The NY TIMES had a great write-up on "Imprint" and Showtimes' unwillingness to air it, but unfortunately it's now "Times selected" - you gotta pay to see it:
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...A80894DE404482

But the folks at CHUD reprinted a good chunk of it here (along with their own commentary): http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=5731

Not surprisingly, it appears to be (or, rather, would have been) the one truly uncompromised and possibly brilliant entry in this whole lame series. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-14-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think some of you may be disappointed in Imprint based on the hype and decision not to air.

Imprint is a decidedly Miike film, even if it looks a lot better than most of his previous work. It's gross and gooey and isn't afraid to cross any boundaries. Of course some of the make up effects are a bit silly, the plot isn't the best and Billy Drago is a terrible actor. Not speaking Japanese I have no idea how good the actors are in Miike's normal films, but I'm hoping the main problem was the language barrier. Drago screams and rails against the world and generally over acts terribly. By the end it seemed like a very nicely shot and extra gross late night horror movie. Definitely not the greatest horror film you've never seen or anything like that.
Old 09-14-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
I think some of you may be disappointed in Imprint based on the hype and decision not to air.

Imprint is a decidedly Miike film, even if it looks a lot better than most of his previous work. It's gross and gooey and isn't afraid to cross any boundaries. Of course some of the make up effects are a bit silly, the plot isn't the best and Billy Drago is a terrible actor. Not speaking Japanese I have no idea how good the actors are in Miike's normal films, but I'm hoping the main problem was the language barrier. Drago screams and rails against the world and generally over acts terribly. By the end it seemed like a very nicely shot and extra gross late night horror movie. Definitely not the greatest horror film you've never seen or anything like that.
This was my gripe with it too, Drago apparently isn't a terrible actor and has a strong cult following (I liked him in 'Hills'), but in this he was just awful. This acting is unacceptable for a series that provides at LEAST passable acting.
Old 09-14-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by natevines
This was my gripe with it too, Drago apparently isn't a terrible actor and has a strong cult following (I liked him in 'Hills'), but in this he was just awful. This acting is unacceptable for a series that provides at LEAST passable acting.
He is horrible, but the visuals are amazing, and at times very unsettling. I can understand why it was banned, I don't agree with it and I don't think that a pay cable station should err on the side of caution in a series designed, at least in theory, to push the envelope. I'm sure it would've upset some people, but I'm not sure how much more it would've upset some people than Jenifer graphically eating a little girl.
Old 09-15-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even so, it was still a nutless move by Showtime to not air it.
Old 09-15-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

C'mon, Drago was awesome in Brisco county jr...he doesn't completely suck
Just watched Tobe Hoopers Dance of the Dead....now that sucked...
Old 09-27-06, 10:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I noticed a few of these at Best Buy today and they all had a sticker on the front that said something like, "exclusive script to screen featurette".

Does that mean the disc pressings for Best Buy are different and have this extra special feature?
Old 09-28-06, 09:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally got my copy of Imprint in the mail today. I haven't watched it yet, but I noticed it brazenly says "Banned from Cable Broadcast!" on the top, even though the people releasing it are the same people who banned it. Just seemed crass to me.
Old 09-30-06, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I noticed a few of these at Best Buy today and they all had a sticker on the front that said something like, "exclusive script to screen featurette".

Does that mean the disc pressings for Best Buy are different and have this extra special feature?
Yes, I believe this to be the case for the first six episodes that were released with the artwork featuring the directors:

John Carpenter
Stuart Gordon
Mick Garris
Don Coscarelli
Lucky McKee
John Landis

I think when the packaging changed with Homecoming, Best Buy didn't have this as an exclusive feature any more. I could be wrong, though.
Old 10-03-06, 01:04 AM

The V WOrd November 10Th YYEAH
Old 10-03-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with all your points.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.