Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien vs Predator 2 is being directed by...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two people. From Bloody-disgusting.com :

Confirmed on BrothersStrause.com: The rumor hit the web yesterday over at IGN, and today it was confirmed by Greg Strause himself that him and his brother, Colin, have signed with 20th Century Fox to direct Alien vs. Predator 2, according to Alien Experience. For those who aren't aware, the Strause brothers are most noted for their visual/special effects work on projects such as Titanic, Band of Brothers, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, xXx: State of the Union, Mission: Impossible III, Poseidon and X-Men: The Last Stand. As directors, relatively speaking, Greg and Colin have limited first hand experience with music videos for the likes of Nickelback, Linkin Park, Godsmack and A Perfect Circle under their belts. Watch for official news in the coming week. The two major franchises will collide once again in August of 2007... maybe this time the Predator won't be such a *****.
Old 06-08-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
Wow that sucks. I hope the quality won't suffer at ... oh wait ... nevermind.
Old 06-08-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't there some rule from some guild that says only one person can take credit for a film?
Old 06-08-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Any inkling of anticipation I had has all but vanished...
Old 06-08-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Why not just throw Spawn in there too?
Old 06-08-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the Farrelly brothers co-direct all their movies.
Old 06-08-06, 06:18 PM
Banned

Isn't there some rule from some guild that says only one person can take credit for a film?
The rule that is currently in place (the one that prevented Robert Rodriguez from giving Frank Miller co-director credit on "Sin City") is there to prevent a director from getting saddled with another director after the fact. It's to prevent, say, a studio from hiring a cheaper director to come in and finish another director's film. That obviously wasn't what Frank Miller was going to do on "Sin City" but as far as the DGA is concerned "a rule is a rule" and they just wouldn't budge so Rodriguez left.

However, the DGA doesn't have a problem with the many co-directing teams working today as long as they've been working together from the beginning.

There are several examples. Most of them are brothers: Hughes, Farrelleys, Wachowskis and even the Coens, who shared a directing credit for the first time on "The Ladykillers".

Since the Brothers Strause have never done a feature before and they've always worked together in the past they'll have no problem working together in the future.

Anyways, I'm somewhat excited for this. In only a handful of music videos and commercials the Brothers Strause have already demonstrated much more directorial ability than Paul WS Anderson has over the course of 6 feature films.
Old 06-08-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Brothers Strause have made some beautiful videos. They're so good that they'll make you listen to Nickelback at least once.
Old 06-08-06, 06:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if they deliver the great AvP film that Paul WS couldn't then they will be heroes and have an instant following. So here's to hoping they are taking this seriously. David Fincher and Spike Jonze directed videos at first as well, so I will keep my fingers crossed that isn't a bad sign... It would be nice if Fox gave this to a *good* experienced director, but I suppose this might not be the worst. We'll see.
Old 06-08-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's also the Hughes Brothers, who directed Menace II Society & From Hell.
Old 06-08-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
There's also the Hughes Brothers, who directed Menace II Society & From Hell.
Just a couple of posts above you, man.
Old 06-08-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Just a couple of posts above you, man.
Ah, sorry. I saw your post, but for some reason, I thought you'd left them out.
Old 06-08-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I guess AvP2 cant be any worse than the 1st. Its not like they can kill the franchise. Its not the directing as much as the writing that im worried about.
Old 06-08-06, 08:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll probably be suckered into seeing it in the theaters again, because this series has potential. It's just up to the studio to greenlight a script that realizes that potential.
Old 06-08-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't imagine this being any worse than the first vs movie. I'll still be there opening night.
Old 06-08-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No offense, but this can't be as bad as Paul W.S. Anderson directing the flick.
Old 06-08-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
However, the DGA doesn't have a problem with the many co-directing teams working today as long as they've been working together from the beginning.

There are several examples. Most of them are brothers: Hughes, Farrelleys, Wachowskis and even the Coens, who shared a directing credit for the first time on "The Ladykillers".
Thanks for the clarification, GuruTwo.

And back on topic, I hated the first. Will I see the second? Doubtful. For that to happen it would have to be pretty awesome, butI don't expect that to be the case.

Last edited by Corvin; 06-08-06 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey at least it wasnt Uwe Bolle
Old 06-08-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about an R-rated film this time around?
Old 06-09-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well, I'm sure there's no way to make the train wreck any worse. I mean.. if the direction it was going is still the way it will go then nothing could save it other than burning it with fire.
Old 06-09-06, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i would rather have an unproven director than a director that has proven to suck.
Old 06-09-06, 01:28 AM
Banned

I wouldn't even mind a PG-13 theatrical release if they shot for an R-rated or unrated DVD release.

They slapped some horribly-done CGI blood that wouldn't have been impressive-looking in 1992 onto the gore-free footage from "AvP" for that "unrated" edition but it obviously came off as a big scam rather than the gorier version that everyone wanted.

i would rather have an unproven director than a director that has proven to suck.
With six features under his belt pre-"AvP" Paul WS Anderson was the most "accomplished" director of all the "Alien" and "Predator" directors but all the rest were relatively inexperienced, which is really saying something. Cameron, Hopkins and Jeunet had 2 films before they made their films, Scott and McTiernan only had one and Fincher, like the Brothers Strause had never made a feature.

This is a series where "inexperience" has paid off more than a larger filmography. Also, they have a background in commercials, music videos and special effects much like Ridley Scott, James Cameron and David Fincher.

Last edited by GuruTwo; 06-09-06 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-09-06, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
This is a series where "inexperience" has paid off more than a larger filmography.
One would disagree with the final products of the last two Alien sequels.
Old 06-09-06, 05:16 AM

a glimmer of hope?

Brothers Strause Talk Alien vs. Predator 2
Source: Variety
June 8, 2006

Variety caught up with new Alien vs. Predator 2 directors Greg and Colin Strause who revealed what we can expect from the Fox sequel. "AVP2," written by Shane Salerno, is scheduled to begin shooting in September for an August 10, 2007 release.

"We really want to take it back to the original 'Alien' and 'Predator' films and make a serious, gritty horror film," Colin Strause said.

"We want to take it back to its roots, without losing sight of the human struggle," added Greg Strause. "That's what made the originals so good."

Davis Entertainment's John Davis and Robbie Brenner are producing. Davis Entertainment also produced the first film in the franchise, as well as "Predator" and "Predator 2."

Hmmm, we will see! Give us Alien 5 instead, with Ridley Scott instead!
Old 06-09-06, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
Well, if they deliver the great AvP film that Paul WS couldn't then they will be heroes and have an instant following
There is no great AvP that exists anywhere in ideaspace that could possibly be delivered by anybody.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.