Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hard Candy

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 11:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JaxComet
I guess I'm in the minority but I thought Audition was a pretty bad movie with a semi-cool ending..........
interesting I thought Hard Candy was a very flawed movie as well.

didn't care for Brick, or Hard Candy the Sundance faves from last year.... whatever.

streched to 103 long minutes, this could have worked better as a short film.

Ellen Page's Hayley is beyond annoying, she comes across as one F'd up bitch.

the script was simply awful...

Last edited by Giles; 04-24-06 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the movie opens a tad wider today to 150 theaters, but still no where near me (closest is arundel mills)
Old 04-29-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just caught it today. While it was a good film that should be seen by more people, it wasn't exactly a memorable film. It's a fairly simple story that happens to be dragged out to an almost two hour running time. It's a concept that would work brilliantly in a short feature running time, but drags when feature length. While there are some great preformances from the leads and the cinematography is goddamn beautiful, the content just doesn't hold up well. While I am sure there could be a better film done involving the subject of pedophilia, this is pretty much the horror film concept of the subject matter. Fairly simple, somewhat exploitive, and mostly easy to digest.

If it doesn't hit a theater near you, most will not have a problem waiting until DVD (or Blu-ray).

Spoiler:
While I might never feel an urge to see it again, the infamous castration scene is near fucking brilliant. It's not as exploitive as I thought it would be, but the execution of the scene is great. While I commented that the film is dragged out too long for it's own good, the dragging out of the castration made it all more cringe-worthy and horrific. What's even better about the scene is the director chooses to show none of the carnage.
Old 04-29-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:

While I might never feel an urge to see it again, the infamous castration scene is near fucking brilliant. It's not as exploitive as I thought it would be, but the execution of the scene is great. While I commented that the film is dragged out too long for it's own good, the dragging out of the castration made it all more cringe-worthy and horrific. What's even better about the scene is the director chooses to show none of the carnage.
Right, because
Spoiler:
technically there was no carnage on his balls. But damn, the mind really does fill in the blanks, doesn't it! I swear, everybody was shifting in their seats...well mainly the guys.
Old 04-29-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Right, because
Spoiler:
technically there was no carnage on his balls. But damn, the mind really does fill in the blanks, doesn't it! I swear, everybody was shifting in their seats...well mainly the guys.
Spoiler:
My balls were hurting mostly during the scene while the women in the theater couldn't stop laughing.
Old 05-02-06, 12:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
Right, because
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
agree. i thought she really cut his balls off to. they did a great job of hiding what was actually happening.
Old 05-02-06, 12:52 AM
Banned

overall, i hated the movie. it was very unbelievable and i agree with whoever said the girl was annoying. she would say something witty, and people would laugh, and i was thinking, that shit ain't funny. also the fact the pedo was a damn retard pissed me off to. half the shit he got himself into was rom him being weak/stupid/lazy.
Old 05-02-06, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunately, it didn't do all that well when it went into wider release this past week. It went from an opening weekend 2 weeks ago of $30,000 per screen, to only 2,000 dollars per screen this weekend. I guess this will probably be the end of it's run.

I look forward to owning this on DVD.
Old 05-02-06, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I guess it works as an "edgy" revenge fantasy in a make-believe world where pedos aren't dangerously cunning predators.
Old 05-02-06, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
overall, i hated the movie. it was very unbelievable and i agree with whoever said the girl was annoying. she would say something witty, and people would laugh, and i was thinking, that shit ain't funny. also the fact the pedo was a damn retard pissed me off to. half the shit he got himself into was rom him being weak/stupid/lazy.
Old 05-02-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

she would say something witty, and people would laugh, and i was thinking, that shit ain't funny
The "Roman Polanski" line in the film happens to be one of the best quips in a motion picture all year. It deserves the laughter it got.
Old 05-02-06, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The "Roman Polanski" line in the film happens to be one of the best quips in a motion picture all year. It deserves the laughter it got.
haha, yeah, i did laugh at a few lines, an dthat was one of tthem. to bad my idiot friend ruined the moment by saying "who's roman polanski?"
Old 05-02-06, 02:34 PM

haha, yeah, i did laugh at a few lines, an dthat was one of tthem. to bad my idiot friend ruined the moment by saying "who's roman polanski?"
'doh!' (smacks forehead)
Old 05-02-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The title is in reference to the girl, it is a symbol. Candy is sweet, but hard candy can also hurt you. Outside appearances may hide interior deviousness.
Since earlier in the thread it was being questioned what the title meant, I just read that "hard candy" is what online pedophiles refer to underage girls as.
Old 05-19-06, 11:48 AM

Well , went and saw it with a few friends the other day at the local indie theater and we all thought it was pretty good. Could have a been a few minutes shorter but overall was pretty good throughout.
Old 07-27-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Movie finally made its way into town.

I liked parts of the movie, and thought Page did a really good job, even though the dialogue wasn't the greatest. My problem with the movie is I just didn't buy it, especially the annoyingly contrived finale. The faux castration was well done.

Overall, it's worth a rental, but is a bit of a disappointment.
Old 07-27-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with the "disappointment" assesment.

This didn't work for me because we're supposed to root for the captor while she tortures her hostage. Because we never see him do anything that bad, I found myself wanting the molestor to break free and kill the annoying-as-hell 14-year-old bitch, as would be the case in any other home invasion/hostage film.

In regards to the girl, like RichC2 said, I didn't buy her. She didn't act like a 14-year-old. I kept waiting for it to be revealed that she was merely a young-looking 20-year-old who wants to fuck up a child molestor, but it didn't happen.
Old 09-25-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

two words...f-ing brilliant. amazing film. from the cinematography to the subject matter, it was all pulled together amazingly well. both main actors were just amazing.

probably my "favorite" film of 2006. although it was uncomfortable to watch, it was just...f-ing brilliant. well done.
Old 09-25-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw this film back when it was in the theatres, and it seems I never commmented on it, so I might as well now.

For me it was a frustrating film to watch, and not in a good way. It started out pretty good, and the film looked great, but I had serious issues with characterization and how the story unraveled.

Ellen Page is a good actress, but I felt her dialogue was pretty damn atrocious. It was just so unbelieveable for a 14 year old. I had no problem buying into her plan for Jeff, but when she spoke I couldn't help but role my eyes. It was silly and made her so much less relateable and likeable. Also, I'm not quiet sure I understood her motivation. Especially when you find out a very important point at the end. Really why does she care? What does any of this have to do with anything for her. She didn't accomplish anything other than becoming a complete sadist.

I really wanted to like this film to, a great concept, a great feel, great acting (Patrick Wilson was incredible really), an impressive amount of effective tension. Still the film managed to feel uneven, and really just fell apart.

There's a great movie in there somewhere.
Old 09-25-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will agree that some of the dialogue seemed way over the top for a 14-year old and seemed more appropriate for a 30-year old. That said, I still really enjoyed this movie, and the director did a hell of a job of terrifying you without really showing anything (though you do get a quick glimpse during the "event" from the quick pan-by in the mirror).
Spoiler:
Which leads me to the question. Do penises really all look exactly the same? Since he was forced to watch the castration wouldn't he recognize his own equipment from one that was on a medical demonstration tape? Just a minor quibble LOL
Old 09-25-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
That was probably the only line in the movie I liked. The rest of the dialogue in the movie was just ridiculous to me, and that pretty much killed it for me. Nothing ringed true for a second. When I am actually feeling bad for the guy because he has to listen to her drop all these ridiculous lines, something has gone very wrong with your movie.
Old 09-25-06, 11:58 AM
JIF

You guys really believed that she was 14? I got the impression she was lying and was older. Perhaps a college student posing as a minor.
Old 09-25-06, 12:24 PM

Yeah, I don't think you need to assume she was actually 14. Was she a friend of the dead girl? Possibly, maybe not. Maybe she is just a vigilante who heard from someone about these two guys.

Don't criticize the movie cause she talks like a 20 year old. She could be.
Old 09-25-06, 01:43 PM
JIF

For sure. Look at those decoys on Dateline: Internet Predators. Those girls are 19 who look like they're pushing 14. In fact, rent KIDS. All those pre-teens are actually 19 and over.
Old 09-25-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My problem wasn't that she talked like a 20 year old. It was that she didn't talk like a person of any age would. Whatever her age was, I just wasn't buying it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.