Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

More Brokeback crying...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

More Brokeback crying...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Brokeback crying...

'Brokeback' Author Peeved About Oscar Loss
By SANDY COHEN
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES - Annie Proulx, whose 1997 short story inspired the film "Brokeback Mountain," has penned a scattershot blast in a British newspaper unleashing her anger over the film's best-picture Oscar loss.
Proulx criticizes Oscar voters and the Academy Awards ceremony in the 1,094-word rant, which appeared in Saturday's issue of The Guardian, a liberal paper boasting 1.2 million readers daily.

The best-picture Oscar went to "Crash," which focuses on race relations in Los Angeles.

Academy members who vote for the year's best film are "out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city," Proulx writes.

The 70-year-old Pulitzer-prize winning author points out that "Brokeback," which was nominated for eight Academy Awards, was named best picture at the Independent Spirit Awards one day before the March 5 Oscars.

"If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices," Proulx advises.

She even lashes out at Lionsgate, the distribution company behind "Crash."

"Rumour has it that Lionsgate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash - excuse me - Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline," Proulx writes.

She decries the "atmosphere of insufferable self-importance" inside the Kodak Theatre, the Oscars site, and describes the audience as a "somewhat dim LA crowd." The show, she writes, was "reminiscent of a small-town talent-show night."

"Clapping wildly for bad stuff enhances this," Proulx writes.

She notes that "Brokeback's" three Oscar wins, for original score, adapted screenplay and direction for Ang Lee put it "on equal footing with King Kong."

When Jack Nicholson announced "Crash" as the best-picture winner, "there was a gasp of shock," Proulx writes.

"It was a safe pick of `controversial film' for the heffalumps," she writes, using the elephant-like "Winnie the Pooh" character to describe academy voters.

"For those who call this little piece a Sour Grapes Rant," Proulx concludes, "play it as it lays."

Calls by the Associated Press to Proulx's Wyoming home and her literary agent, Elizabeth Darhansoff, were not immediately returned Tuesday.

Lets see all the Peter Jackson fan outrage for dissing King Kong
Old 03-14-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
hahah for including the word count at the beginning of that, made me laugh for some reason. Back in High School.
Old 03-14-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cactusoly
"Rumour has it that Lionsgate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash - excuse me - Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline," Proulx writes.
OMGWTF, scandal!!!
Old 03-14-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
If she thinks the Academy Awards mean so little, then why does she care so much?
Old 03-14-06, 06:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cactusoly
She decries the "atmosphere of insufferable self-importance" inside the Kodak Theatre, the Oscars site, and describes the audience as a "somewhat dim LA crowd." The show, she writes, was "reminiscent of a small-town talent-show night."
can't argue with that.
Old 03-14-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a stooge. Boo hoo.
Old 03-14-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep!

"It was a safe pick of `controversial film' for the heffalumps," she writes, using the elephant-like "Winnie the Pooh" character to describe academy voters.
Old 03-14-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All the whining in the world won't change what happened.

I kinda like what Roeper had to say about all the boo-hooing:

"Why is a film about two gay cowboys more noble than a film about race relations? Or a movie about an Israeli hit squad avenging the massacre at the Munich Olympic Games? Or a film about an author's book about the murders of an innocent family? Or a movie about a journalist's crusade against a witch-hunting senator?

In two decades of writing about movies, I have never heard such bitching and moaning and griping about a film not winning best picture. Enough is enough. You lost. Try to handle it with some grace."
Old 03-14-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Somebody call the wahhhhhmbulance.

Loved Roeper's summation

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 03-14-06 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-14-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Roeper was dead on with his comments. Other films lost to Crash too, not just Brokeback Mountain.
Old 03-14-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That piece really, really made Annie Proulx sound just awful. No one likes a poor loser. This whining is getting old. No movie's entitled to an Academy Award.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-14-06 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-14-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
In two decades of writing about movies, I have never heard such bitching and moaning and griping about a film not winning best picture. Enough is enough. You lost. Try to handle it with some grace."
Amen.

Seriously, people act like juding best picture is a totally objective decision...
Old 03-14-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem is you know if Brokeback had won, she would be singing the Academy's praises and glorious history. She comes off really bad with this one.

Still, it's hard not to sympathise. I think this was the most retarded Best Picture result since Oliver! beat out 2001. Really, any of the other four would have been fine choices, but Crash was just such repugnantly awful filmmaking.
Old 03-14-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Full article here:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/oscars200...727312,00.html
Old 03-14-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Old 03-14-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She keeps using the word "heffalump" in her rant. I do not think it means what she thinks it means.
Old 03-14-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
She keeps using the word "heffalump" in her rant. I do not think it means what she thinks it means.
Hey, the Princess Proulx has a nice ring to it!
Old 03-14-06, 10:05 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Is she complaining that the academy brokebacked Brokeback?
Old 03-14-06, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Inconceivable!

Roeper was dead on.
Old 03-14-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, look! Another pile-on "sour winner" thread about "Brokeback Mountain!"

*yawn*
Old 03-15-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Psst, this topic already has a dozen threads, pass it on.

-JP
Old 03-15-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw an interesting analysis in the Chicago Tribune the other day, said that the reason Brokeback Mountain didn't win was because of Capote. Split the vote for the movie about homosexuals, letting Crash slip in.

The same article pointed out that Crash isn't supposed to be taken literally like some reviewers do (MSNBC for example). Personally, I haven't seen Crash, Brokeback Mountain, or Capote, though I will rent Crash / Capote in the near future.
Old 03-15-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Proulx has "yeasty ferment" of the brain. Buttcrack Mountain lost - deal with it. Whata bitch
Old 03-15-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
This is bullshit.
Old 03-15-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grunter
Oh, look! Another pile-on "sour winner" thread about "Brokeback Mountain!"

*yawn*
Agreed. The people who keep bitching about the "sour grapes" are just as annoying as the "sour grapes" themselves as they cannot seem to "let it go" either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.