Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Running Scared

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 01:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UKingdom
just got back from this movie and WOW it packs a punch. not for the faint of heart, this was a HARD R and wow was it entertaining; yes, too many plot twists for its own good, but you will be on the edge of your seat the whole time; it pushes the limits a lot, but it's very very good. it's a shame the movie was marketed so poorly, because it's great. a couple questions though;

did anyone notice the freddy krueger sillhouete in the bathroom/kids scene? what the hell was that all about? there was no one dressed in a freddy costume next door either, which just made it creepy (the scene already was way too creepy)
yeah that was a great shot by the director. what i interpreted as was, they were just shadows of the parents that was caused from different lighting angles, ala, nosferatu, but it symbolized that though they look normal they are indeed downright evil people. i did think this scene was out of place but it was done very very well.
Old 03-24-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just saw this at the dollar theater. Brutal, but entertaining. I was expecting that, though, after reading comedian Patton Oswalt's review (and anecdote) a few weeks back:

http://www.pattonoswalt.com/ht/spew3.html

March 5th
PAUL WALKER FUCKED THOSE SLED DOGS
I saw RUNNING SCARED last week. Although I don't exactly feel like I "saw" it. I feel like it yelled at me for two hours and the crushed by balls with a can of baked beans.

Is it playing near you? Better run out and see it. 'Cuz it ain't gonna be playing much longer. RUNNING SCARED, as a film, feels like it was written by the idea of anal trauma, filmed by un-lubed rape, and directed by the smell of a pedo-priest's death poo.

Have I mentioned I loved it?

I really envy Paul Walker. I never felt either way about him as an actor, but holy shit! Being in EIGHT BELOW and RUNNING SCARED in the same week is like starring in BABE and AUDITION at the same time. Nothing like having range forced on you with a meat tenderizer.

Remember, back in the early '90s, when Hollywood looked to Asia for inspiration? Crime and action films started aping John Woo and Ringo Lam and Tsui Hark.

Well, it's happening again. Only now they're looking towards Takashi Miike, Fruit Chan and Chan-wok Park. Want to see what your next few summers are going to look like? Go see THREE...EXTREMES.

Speaking of extremes, a funny thing happened during the screening. Three minutes before the movie's over, a couple loudly walked out. And they were pissy about it. The guy made sure to stop at the foot of the aisle and say, "AWFUL movie!" to everyone.

Let's back up for a second. RUNNING SCARED opens with one of the bleakest, dirtiest gunfights I've seen in a long time. It's like watching a bunch of junkies shoot randomly inside an ogre's asshole. Then there's about twenty-five minutes of spousal abuse, child endangerment, drug use, blowtorch torture, and rape.

THEN the movie takes a dark twist that escaped from The Planet of Unbelievably Vile, Twisted and Fucked-Up Twists. And when I say that, I mean, "Holy shit, this isn't happening...OH SHIT IT IS!" dark. Wow!

So this guy hung in until there were THREE MINUTES LEFT, and decided, "Well, this has just gone too far". And yeah, the last two minutes are bloody and disturbing and hope-killing, but Jesus Christ, did he think it was going to start raining marshmallows and everyone was going to get un-killed, un-fucked, and un-everythinged? The last three minutes of RUNNING SCARED were the straw that broke this camel's back. If I ever murder this guy's wife, burn his house down and then pee in his face, I'd better make sure to give him an After Eight mint when I'm done or he'll REALLY get offended.

When I walked out into the lobby, the guy and his wife were demanding their money back. And then they wandered off into the wilds of The Grove, doubtless to experience the rest of the evening (it was 7pm now):

7:15 Guy and His Wife go to Borders, but leave in disgust when, after climbing to the third floor, confirm that the place is "...nothing but goddamn books."

7:20 Guy and His Wife buy venti lattes at Starbucks but get a refund when, one sip from the bottom, realize that yes, the bastards only put coffee in their drinks.

7:30 Dinner at Loteria — un-edible taco platter that turns out to be nothing but deliciously spiced meat, lettuce, and cheese in a corn tortilla shell. Yuck!

9:15 Three seconds from mutual orgasm, Guy and His Wife realize they've wasted the last four minutes doing nothing but having sex. Marriage in trouble.

9:50 Back to The Grove. The last hope for their love lies in sharing a movie which contains no cartoon monkeys.

9:55 Guy and His Wife purchase two tickets to CURIOUS GEORGE.
Old 05-30-06, 09:03 AM
Banned

I watched this movie last night, and I will say it's in my top 20 favorite movies of all time. I still can't understand how a movie could be as cool as Running Scared. The action was great, some hilarious moments, good nudity, one scene will make you say WTF. I swear I loved every minute of it.
Old 05-30-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I was really into it at first, but I slowly lost interest in it. Mainly, I hated Paul Walker's character. He cursed up a storm in front of his child, and he's so damn (sorry, in honor of Running Scared) fucking dumb that he fucking didn't have enough fucking common sense to throw the fucking gun away.

What kind of a moron leaves a stash of hot guns in his basement? I mean, nevermind the fact that he has a child living in that house, what about if something happened (fire perhaps?) and the cops found his stash?

I loved The Cooler, so I had high hopes for this one. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the look and feel of the film. I just couldn't get behind Walker or some of the ridiculous situations.
Old 05-30-06, 11:37 AM

I agree great movie
Old 06-02-06, 01:03 AM
Banned

I watched it on DVD this evening for the first time and was totally blown away. It's easily the most violent movie I've seen since "The Devil's Rejects". Thankfully, the director's vision, and how it translated on screen put the issue with the McGuffin on the backburner, as glaring as it may be otherwise. You just learn to accept and excuse it when you're presented with such a jolting flick such as this.

Reminded me of "True Romance" in spots. The 18 minute long "Making of.." featurette on the DVD will really sell you on it, if you weren't already. There were a lot of elements that went into this movie which you may or may not catch the first time around that make it totally unique. DTS-ES track was nice for the apartment and ice rink scenes. It's been a while since I've seen violence, passion, and artful cinematography mixed into such a seedy little action flick.
Old 06-02-06, 01:45 AM
Banned

i still can't get over the freddy kruger scene.

did anyone notice the freddy krueger sillhouete in the bathroom/kids scene? it was OBVIOUSLY a freddy shadow. (hat and claws) what the hell was that all about? there was no one dressed in a freddy costume next door either, which just made it creepy (the scene already was way too creepy).
Old 06-02-06, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen it yet. I'm slightly skeptical, but interested. Does it really make Kill Bill look like Sesame Street like the commercial says? There's seriously only about 100 or so people in the entire world who love Kill Bill the way I do.
Old 06-02-06, 03:07 AM
Banned

that's comparing apples to oranges. i love kill bill as much as anyone else but kill bill is more over the top violence that's almost comical. this is very gritty and brutal.
Old 06-02-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I had written this off because of Walker, but this thread has convinced me to check it out. Glad to see hard-R's making it back to the movies.
Old 06-02-06, 05:29 PM
Banned

i still can't get over the freddy kruger scene.

did anyone notice the freddy krueger sillhouete in the bathroom/kids scene? it was OBVIOUSLY a freddy shadow. (hat and claws) what the hell was that all about? there was no one dressed in a freddy costume next door either, which just made it creepy (the scene already was way too creepy).
Actually, that was a Nosferatu shadow. There's an 19 minute long "making of" that unveils how "Running Scared" was more or less a fairy tale story, atleast built around a series of Grimm's Fairy Tales and the like. The segments with Cameron Bright were from his perspective. He saw
Spoiler:
his abductors
as evil personified. Also, in his father's apartment, there's a lot of cyans and burnt orange filters to reflect how grimy he feels and sees his surroundings.

Like I said, it's uncommonly artful.

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 06-02-06 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 05:32 PM
Banned

that's comparing apples to oranges. i love kill bill as much as anyone else but kill bill is more over the top violence that's almost comical. this is very gritty and brutal.
This had a handful of comedic (seemingly intentionally) scenes of violence, namely the pimp and his tricks in the diner. Their dialogue more so than the actual violence.
Old 06-07-06, 07:17 AM

I blind bought this yesterday and watched it last night. And I'm glad I bought it! The claims of brutal violence and grittiness didn't let me down. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Spoiler:
Sure there were some unbelievable plot points such as the kids in the van choosing not to escape, but maybe those freaks had it so it was locked from the inside somehow. And the whole pedophile subplot was just amazing. Even with all of the over the top violence of the hotel and hockey rink shootouts, I'm sure the pedophile scene is what I will remember most about this movie. Creepy!
Old 06-07-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rented this yesterday and I must say it was a BIG disappointment...it was CHEESY AS HELL...well shot but CHEESY AS HELL...the child molesters were hilarious and almost saved the movie...Paul Walker SUCKS SO BAD that casting him in the lead was a HUGE mistake, plus the script was WEAK as hell, it tried to be like Tarantino with long monologues and what not, but they SUCKED...and at 122 minutes this movie DRAGGED and DRAGGED, and the ending is a total cop out...brutal violence is not reason enough to like a film, since all of you seem to like it for this reason only...overall a WEAK film with a couple good aspects, mainly the camera work
Old 06-07-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by puddytay
I watched this movie last night, and I will say it's in my top 20 favorite movies of all time. I still can't understand how a movie could be as cool as Running Scared. The action was great, some hilarious moments, good nudity, one scene will make you say WTF. I swear I loved every minute of it.
Please tell me you are joking, or if not, you have only seen 19 other movies your whole life
Old 06-07-06, 10:52 AM

Yeah, Running Scared was a total crapfest, but I'll admit, I was entertained.

I mean it was just so over the top in every possible way(storywise) that I chuckled to myself several times while watching it, yet at the same time I was really on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next.

I just can't imagine anyone taking this movie seriously, but it's fun in that "so bad it's good" type of way.

Recommended.
Old 06-07-06, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DealMan
I just can't imagine anyone taking this movie seriously, but it's fun in that "so bad it's good" type of way.

Recommended.
I really don't think it's meant to be taken seriously. I don't know if you got to hear what the director, Wayne Kramer, has to say about it, but FWIW his vision was for it to be like a demented fairy tale of sorts. If you look at it from that perspective, I think it's a pretty cool movie. I'm not saying it's Oscar-worthy or anything, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.
Old 06-07-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
I really don't think it's meant to be taken seriously. I don't know if you got to hear what the director, Wayne Kramer, has to say about it, but FWIW his vision was for it to be like a demented fairy tale of sorts. If you look at it from that perspective, I think it's a pretty cool movie. I'm not saying it's Oscar-worthy or anything, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.
So you're telling me when Paul Walker is crying at the end, overacting terribly along with his wife, that wasn't supposed to be taken seriously?
Old 06-08-06, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
So you're telling me when Paul Walker is crying at the end, overacting terribly along with his wife, that wasn't supposed to be taken seriously?
All I meant by my statement was that I don't think the writer/director meant this to be anything more than a fun work of fiction. I choose to think of it like a graphic novel like Sin City. I know visually it wasn't portrayed like that, but the characters, situations, and violence are all over the top like a comic book or graphic novel. So, no I didn't take Paul Walker's "overacting" seriously since
Spoiler:
it turns out his character was actually the one doing the acting and he was a cop not an actor.

I'm just telling you how I choose to look at the movie. It's apparent you don't like it and that's fine. I have a hard time liking a movie with Paul Walker in it too
Old 06-08-06, 10:25 PM

This movie is fantastic. I think what A History of Violence lacked is right here. I've been burned lately on a few blind buys so I rented it, but I'll definitely be buying one soon.

Last edited by ShallowHal; 06-09-06 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think this is one of those films that is better to watch with other people because there are some many "are you shitting me?" moments, twists and turns in this movie, but in a fun way.
Old 06-09-06, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw this tonight and am surprised at how good it was. I loved the fact that it was a twisted, gritty take on Alice in Wonderland of sorts. Very cool stuff. Funny thing was seeing that Paul Walker can act suprised me more then any of the super violent scenes in the film.

Last edited by Eric D.; 06-09-06 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-09-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
This movie is fantastic. The think what A History of Violence lacked is right here. I've been burned lately on a few blind buys so I rented it, but I'll definitely be buying one soon.

History of Violence was a MUCH MUCH MUCH better film than this. Sorry, but that statement of yours is hard to argue.
Old 06-09-06, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
History of Violence was a MUCH MUCH MUCH better film than this. Sorry, but that statement of yours is hard to argue.
No, Running Scared is better. Times infinity. +1.
Old 06-09-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished it. I thought it was great and I really have no complaints. The only scene I felt was "stupid" was the pharmacy scene. Every scene and "plot hole" has a logical explanation behind it. Going to wait til it drops in price and then I am going to pick it up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.