Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Running Scared

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought it was alright, but a few too many twists and turns for it's own good... some of the twists and turns don't seem to make sense in the overall flow of everything that has come before... especially the tacked on ending...other than that, the first third and last third were highly entertaining, with only the middle section dragging on and the Oleg story reaching some ridiculous heights...the hockey scene was worth the price of admission and I was also surprised to see a genuine performance from Paul Walker. Nothing to write home about, but you could do worse.

MATT
Old 02-25-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it, thought it was pretty entertaining. Much longer than it should've been however, with that kiddy pedo kidnapping plot taking on it's own separate identity (not a good thing). I liked it though. Paul Walker was pretty good in this, and there were some truly memorable scenes (and dialogue). Very stylized and brutal. Thumbs up. I wonder if this movie is very loosely based on "PTU" (a Hong Kong movie where a guy loses his gun and tries to get it back).

Last edited by Shilex; 02-25-06 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-25-06, 02:42 AM
Banned

saw it two night ago, loved it.
Old 02-25-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw it yesterday and i thought it was pretty good. two good Paul Walker Movies in a row?
Old 02-25-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Believe it or not, I found this film to be very entertaining and watchable. From the very start, the film engages your attention and pretty much retains it for its 2 hour running time. There is one detour that leaves you with more of a "what the hell was that doing there" reaction, but overall, a nice brutal crime mob-related story that involves a gun that was used to kill a cop, tough kids, hookers, pimps, corrupted cops, mobsters and others. It is a violent film at times, not for the squeamish.

Paul Walker does a nice job, he goes through the emotional gamut and was quite believable as Joey, the mobster who has to find the problematic gun before the cops find it and tie it all back to him and his mob cronies. The supporting cast is also pretty good, I liked his wife (played by Vera Farmiga), and his son and son's friend Oleg.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

Last edited by Patman; 02-25-06 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-25-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really enjoyed this one...A good fast paced, fun action movie. Nice violence and kept me engaged without looking at my watch towards the end. I think Paul Walker may just turn into a pretty good action/ leading man type of actor. This and 8 below were totally different films which he seem to do well in.
Old 02-25-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Roger Ebert's review summed up the movie pretty well.....and its damn entertaining. Paul Walker and Vera Farmiga play there parts pretty well and the director gives us healthy doses of pretty tough violence.

Walking out I was reminded of Domino, another stylized violent movie with multiple interwoven stories that didn't do what this one did, and that's entertain. The only thing that seemed out of place was
Spoiler:
the married couple who kills children
. That was a total WTF, but I guess it ended up giving us insight in Farmiga's character and by extension Walker's character.
Old 02-26-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw it last night and thought it was a blast of twisted fun.

The subplot that people think was about of place and not needed I thought was great. Since it created a tense situation where anything could happen. And you fear for the kids life and wonder how he'll make it out of this one. And also worry that if the films going here,where else will it go? Which makes things more uneasy and gripping. Since it becomes more and more surprising instead of "oh i've seen this before and this will happen,thus everyone is ok" type of formula cliche.
Old 02-26-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Saw it last night and thought it was a blast of twisted fun.
Ma'am, forum rules don't allow you to promote your son's movie like this.
Old 02-26-06, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JustinS
Me, I think I'll go watch the 1986 version again.
Isn't that like saying you'd rather watch Cronenberg's Crash than the new all-star cast version?
Old 02-26-06, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maingon
I saw it yesterday and i thought it was pretty good. two good Paul Walker Movies in a row?
Just wait till 2 Running 2 Scared comes out.
Old 02-27-06, 02:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Warning...Warning!!!

one of the worst movies i have seen in years. the only one i have ever wanted to walk out on not even half way through (i actually looked at my phone and there was still an hour left, i dreaded) and actually did for a few minutes to make a call and i have never done that with any movie. it was so horrible and found not one single aspect interesting. even the bad ones i can find at least one thing...not this. i don't speak harshly about movies ever, but this cries out for it.

everyone around me were laughing at how bad and someone even shouted that
Spoiler:
Paul Walker
should have died already in his scene. if people talk i get mad, this time i could care less.

stay far, far away as this is a bad, bad movie!!

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-27-06 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-27-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like you're in the minority, scott1598.

I, for one, love that Running Scared was a twisting ride, gritty, dark, and violent as hell.

= J
Old 02-27-06, 04:15 PM

And to continue the nudity discussion from Hostel regarding full frontal and possible censoring of the nether regions.

I am happy to report you see full shaved(with maybe a tiny trace of pubic hair) vagina including the lips in the strip club scene. And the shot even starts with a close up of that area before pulling back!

So there is an example of the full vagina being on view in a R rated U.S film.

Now for all those that bitch about tame PG-13 cinema or R rated films that are not 'edgey enough' and 'cop out'. You should go see this film immediately!

This should be a midnight movie classic in the making,since everyone seems to be avoiding the film unfortunately.
Old 02-27-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also regarding the lanuage, from screenit.com
Considering the rapid-fire profanity (often simultaneously occurring with content from other categories), the following should be considered a bare minimum: At least 315 "f" words (14 used with "mother," 1 used sexually as is the term "laid"), 44 "s" words, 23 slang terms using male genitals ("c*ck," "c*cks*cker," "d*ck" and "pr*ck"), 5 using female genitals ("c*nt," "p*ssy" and "tw*t"), 11 asses (1 used with "hole"), 4 hells, 3 S.O.B.s, 6 uses of "G-damn," 5 of "Jesus Christ," 2 each of "Jesus," "Oh God," "Oh Jesus" and "Swear to God" and 1 use each of "God" and "Oh my God."

maybe the most of all time?
Old 02-27-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

South Park and Pulp Fiction are probably up there too...

= J
Old 02-28-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tarantino
South Park and Pulp Fiction are probably up there too...

= J
pulp had about 272 f words (and was 30 minutes longer) and south park only has about 120)
Old 02-28-06, 01:31 AM

The Devils Rejects has roughly 500 something uses of every variation of 'fuck'..thus is #1 at the moment
Old 02-28-06, 09:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Spoiler:
How exactly did Joey (Paul Walker) refind his stolen car? and was it me, but given the amount of bloodletting and extreme violence - that pimp dude's demise near the end of the film seemed awfully trunscated - maybe there was more that the MPAA didn't let us see
Old 02-28-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[quoteConsidering the rapid-fire profanity (often simultaneously occurring with content from other categories), the following should be considered a bare minimum: At least 315 "f" words (14 used with "mother," 1 used sexually as is the term "laid"), 44 "s" words, 23 slang terms using male genitals ("c*ck," "c*cks*cker," "d*ck" and "pr*ck"), 5 using female genitals ("c*nt," "p*ssy" and "tw*t"), 11 asses (1 used with "hole"), 4 hells, 3 S.O.B.s, 6 uses of "G-damn," 5 of "Jesus Christ," 2 each of "Jesus," "Oh God," "Oh Jesus" and "Swear to God" and 1 use each of "God" and "Oh my God."
[/quote]

As far as the word fuck goes...I think that saying the word that many times really simply shows a lack of creativity, so they just say that. The filmmakers, and i'm sure others, think its cool. But the word is tiresome after a few hundred. This goes for any movie. If someone is improvising and says "Those fuckin' fuckers fucked a fucking fuck....".... they are really unsure what to do in the scene, because using the word "Fuck" to describe everything is pretty lazy.
Old 02-28-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
Spoiler:
How exactly did Joey (Paul Walker) refind his stolen car? and was it me, but given the amount of bloodletting and extreme violence - that pimp dude's demise near the end of the film seemed awfully trunscated - maybe there was more that the MPAA didn't let us see
His car wasn't stolen.

= J
Old 02-28-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its not lack of creativity when it comes to writing roles for these types of characters...This is the way people speak. Walk down the streets of Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, even Manhattan, Jersey, Miami, wherever, this is how people talk. You would be surprised how many times I hear the word fuck in a given day. Now I agree it can be seen as a lack of unintellegence in everyday life, but in the movies, you are trying to write characters who mirror everyday people. To have them speaking in proper english, using correct form, would come off sounding like My So Called Life or Dawson's Creek, i.e. very unrealistic.
Old 03-05-06, 12:38 AM
Banned

just got back from this movie and WOW it packs a punch. not for the faint of heart, this was a HARD R and wow was it entertaining; yes, too many plot twists for its own good, but you will be on the edge of your seat the whole time; it pushes the limits a lot, but it's very very good. it's a shame the movie was marketed so poorly, because it's great. a couple questions though;

did anyone notice the freddy krueger sillhouete in the bathroom/kids scene? what the hell was that all about? there was no one dressed in a freddy costume next door either, which just made it creepy (the scene already was way too creepy)
Old 03-11-06, 01:07 AM
Banned

just got back from this movie and WOW it packs a punch. not for the faint of heart, this was a HARD R and wow was it entertaining; yes, too many plot twists for its own good, but you will be on the edge of your seat the whole time; it pushes the limits a lot, but it's very very good. it's a shame the movie was marketed so poorly, because it's great. a couple questions though;

did anyone notice the freddy krueger sillhouete in the bathroom/kids scene? what the hell was that all about? there was no one dressed in a freddy costume next door either, which just made it creepy (the scene already was way too creepy)
Old 03-11-06, 01:16 AM
Banned

yeah this movie is aleady leaving theatres. to bad the genral public always miss the good ones and flock to the crappy ones.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.