Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Flight 93 Trailer (Paul Greengrass's 9/11 movie)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Flight 93 Trailer (Paul Greengrass's 9/11 movie)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-06, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know any good articles or blogs discussing the controversy over this film? After the news coverage today about the trailer being pulled, I had a heated discussion with my mother and grandmother over dinner, and just want to read up on anything and everything about this. Verification that the families have approved of the film, donations from the box office, the debate about whether this is too soon or not for a film about 9/11, etc.

I guess I'll throw my two cents in. Having only read about Bloody Sunday, I still have to assume that Greengrass knows what he's doing, and this won't be an exploitative overly heroic action movie, but instead a thoughtful portrayal of what might have happened. Dragging Loose Change into the debate about the film just seems unnecesary. If you really buy Loose Change, which some of it was pretty convincing, then Flight 93 either didn't happen, or simply disappeared. Personally, it's not too soon for me for a film like this. Maybe my expectations of the intelligence of the film are too high, but I think that it could spark interesting discussion about 9/11 rather than result in flag waving furor against our enemies.
Old 04-04-06, 08:15 PM

To the people who say that it's not too soon for this movie to be released, I'm curious to know if you've seen the trailer on the big screen. Seriously, it was a whole different experience watching it in a theatre full of people. And when it was over, I thought there was no fuckin' way that I was going to see this movie.
Old 04-05-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by AudioWizard
After watching the trailer I can also say, I think it's just too early for me to visit this subject on the big screen.
Same here. That trailer just brought tears to my eyes again thinking about that day, and the thought of plunking down $8 to watch a dramatization just isn't going to happen for me.

It's not like I really need to be "reminded" of it.
Old 04-05-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well..... i am curious to see this movie. i think that it will show on a national side the way these people fought.....and with the consent of the families of the victims of the crash, i am ok with it....

that was the only obstacle i see..... if the families didnt want the movie then why support it.... but they were ok......
Old 04-05-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

United 93 and World Trade Center are both totally tasteless for being made so soon. If anything the movies should be about the screw-up of the govt or the secrets of the govt. It's totally depressing, cheesy, scummy and tasteless to make a movie about the "heroes" or the "victims" so soon. It's as bad as those USA military commercials before movies in the theater or on tv, emphasizing the "respect, honor, and being heroes" aspect of joining. It's fucking sick and totally brainwashing. These movies are at the same level of this mass "hero crap" talk
Old 04-05-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Any interest I have in seeing the film is to see how they handle the material and what is the popular response to this. Actually seeing the film for its subject matter, storyline, or any of its own merits outside of social impact is incomprehensible to me.
Old 04-05-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
United 93 and World Trade Center are both totally tasteless for being made so soon. If anything the movies should be about the screw-up of the govt or the secrets of the govt. It's totally depressing, cheesy, scummy and tasteless to make a movie about the "heroes" or the "victims" so soon. It's as bad as those USA military commercials before movies in the theater or on tv, emphasizing the "respect, honor, and being heroes" aspect of joining. It's fucking sick and totally brainwashing. These movies are at the same level of this mass "hero crap" talk
We get it. The calls from the "victims" were faked (a conclusion based on flimsy science and laughable conjecture). The "heroes" are on a desert island somewhere or something offensive and insulting (one of the things your favorite movie doesn't bother explaining). It's all a sham. We shouldn't believe the official accounts that we are spoonfed by the media and government. Rather, we should believe the "evidence" that we are being spoonfed by crap like Loose Change.

And I'm sure that there are plenty of us that would be happy to debate that "important" film in one of the existing threads that is actually about it.

The fact is that what we know of this movie and its content is limited, and the Stone movie even moreso, so it's probably a little early to make statements about how sick or brainwashing they are. Everything is based upon a 2:30 trailer, and that doesn't show very much. Too soon? That's debateable, and I think it may be too soon for many of us. Making money off a tragedy, possibly so. But whether or not this film is shameless propaganda or a thoughtful telling of a painful chapter in the country's history remains to be seen.
Old 04-05-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While watching the trailer gave me chills, I'm still on the fence about this one. It doesn't feel quite right to be making it this soon, but I think I may want to see it. I know the familes approved, and that should probably be good enough for me, but I'm not sure it is.

My wife just about flipped out though. I've never seen her (anyone) get so pissed off at a trailer before. I'm guessing she's not alone though by some of the responses in this thread (the non crazy people responses).
Old 04-05-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
United 93 and World Trade Center are both totally tasteless for being made so soon. If anything the movies should be about the screw-up of the govt or the secrets of the govt. It's totally depressing, cheesy, scummy and tasteless to make a movie about the "heroes" or the "victims" so soon.
10, 20, 50 years from now people would be crying 'too soon! too soon!'

This is being supported by the families, so in my mind, i'm OK with this.

~jason
Old 04-05-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
If you think this movie is too soon :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035298/

Secret Agent of Japan (1942)

THe movie went into production the night of 8 December 1941, one day after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. 20th-Century/Fox head Darryl Zanuck wanted his studio to be the first to deal with the Japanese sneak attack on film. Within a matter of weeks, the film was in theaters where it became a box office smash, much to the dismay of critics.
Old 04-05-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
While I'm interested in the film, I don't agree with the attempt at profiting of it this soon. There are still family suffering from their losses, and people who are having trouble making ends meet now. I might see this if someone I know buys it, or maybe a Netflix rental, but I'd rather hand $10 to a charity than someone making this film.
Yeah, im kinda pissed at this...BFD that Universal is giving 10% of the money to charity...they should give all the profit to charity!

No business should be making money like that. It just doesnt seem right. It reminds me of the street peddlers out by ground zero selling their 9/11 books with photos and such...profiting off the tragedy.
Old 04-05-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it is too soon. I think some people do need to be reminded of exactly what happened.

The real clincher is that the families are on board with it... I heard the widow of one of the pilots of one of the planes (I believe it was flight 93) say that she won't be able to watch it because it shows the graphic murder of the flight crew. But she thought it needed to be seen because there are people who need to remember.

Then there are the people who think the whole thing was a conspiracy (heard Martin Sheen saying that for example )...
Old 04-05-06, 03:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think it's Charlie Sheen who's going around spouting conspiracy theories.
Old 04-06-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
They showed the trailer at a movie I saw last weekend. I didn't like seeing the trailer (looked away mostly), and would not see the movie.

If footage of the planes hitting comes on the TV, I always change it. I just don't need to see that ever again.

So it's way too soon for me.
Old 04-06-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
To the people who say that it's not too soon for this movie to be released, I'm curious to know if you've seen the trailer on the big screen. Seriously, it was a whole different experience watching it in a theatre full of people. And when it was over, I thought there was no fuckin' way that I was going to see this movie.
Maybe I'm heartless, but September 11th didn't affect me in the least. It was a tragedy, but aside from some extra security at the airport, its had no effect on my life.

Will I watch this movie, no. As a movie, its doesn't seem that compelling and in the most crass thing I will say...I know how it ends.
Old 04-06-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
I think the film looks good, not sure if I'll catch it in theaters but certainly on DVD. I think it'd work best at a short length of 90 minutes...hopefully that'll be the case.
Old 04-06-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
Will I watch this movie, no. As a movie, its doesn't seem that compelling and in the most crass thing I will say...I know how it ends.
You must have hated Titanic .
Old 04-06-06, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by clemente
Maybe I'm heartless, but September 11th didn't affect me in the least. It was a tragedy, but aside from some extra security at the airport, its had no effect on my life.

A massive, coordinated attack on Americans, on American soil, didn't affect you? Yep, you're heartless.
Old 04-06-06, 10:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Bloody Sunday was really stark and emotional for me and I knew little about that history. Very much like Saving Private Ryan in the way that the violence isn't styalized, but lifelike and real. You know what is going to happen. You know that half the people you have grown to love while watching the first half of the film are going to die. You know it will be painful to watch. But we watch it anyways, and in the case of Bloody Sunday it felt like a real wakeup call for me to at least open my eyes to some other things that are happening around the world.

After 9/11 everyone said they loved each other more, said that they were changed forever, and that nothing would be the same. But I don't see any of that anymore. People put their flags away, returned to their old ways and I personally don't think much truly changed for most Americans. 9/11 stories don't really mean anything more than telling people where you were when it happened.

So to me, saying it is to early is like saying that you never forgot and that it is constantly on your mind. And for most people, except for people personally affected, I don't think that is true. I read some of these quotes from people who watched the trailer and made comments. Things like "I didn't expect it to be there and I hated it...I've tried so hard to forget." Why forget? If it affected us so much, why would we want to put it out of our minds. However painful.

And while I don't intend on seeing it in the theater (rarely see anything there) I believe that what we are seeing in the trailer and what the film is going to be are completly different. I believe the director will approach it like Bloody Sunday...i.e. a docudrama. Told as though it is real. People will get stabbed, murdered, etc and it will be very 'real' That is what I truly don't think most people are ready for. But Private Ryan made 200+ so who knows.
W
Old 04-06-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really see the point in this film being made. It's not like people are unaware of what happened that day, or need to be reminded of it. Watching all the 9/11 footage on tv as it happened was more then enough for me. I don't need to see any big screen dramatizations of stuff that I wish I could forget.
Old 04-07-06, 12:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trout
Popular Mechanics (or was it Science?) did an article that debunked all the conspiracy theories about 9/11. Pretty interesting...

I think I'll pass on 9/11 films. I saw the Flight that fought back and I was covered with a cold sweat the whole time. I also felt and incredible amount of hate...something I don't like to feel.

Discover or Scientific American did one one as well...
Old 04-10-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to the press,
The widows of two Port Authority Police officers killed on 9/11 are angry that director oliver stone is making a movie about their husbands deaths and that two officers who survived are making money off the film. Two of the widows Jamie Amoroso and Jeannette Pezzulo are angry with Paramount Pictures, saying they don't want their children to see how their fathers died and to share the last seconds of their husbands lives with millions of moviegoers.

I have a feeling that a lot of family members involved feel the same way. Just because a couple families give the okay to make UNITED 93 or WORLD TRADE CENTER, does not make it okay to be made. It's sick and it will make money for producers and film investers.
Old 04-25-06, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Trout
Popular Mechanics (or was it Science?) did an article that debunked all the conspiracy theories about 9/11. Pretty interesting...

I think I'll pass on 9/11 films. I saw the Flight that fought back and I was covered with a cold sweat the whole time. I also felt and incredible amount of hate...something I don't like to feel.
debunk the debunkers...

Just one of the many sites doing so:
http://911review.com/pm/markup/index.html

(If you can go through that whole PM article, as I have, then you can read through this one as well)

Ok, yes I am trolling.
But no, I am not a loony "conspriacy theroist", or someone "pushing an agenda".
Nor am I aligned with any particular political party, "left" or "right".
Let me say I am someone who is deeply concerned with the offical account of that horrible day.
The deaths of all those innocent people need proper justice. Because on that day, there were just too many coincidences, improbable events and connections that trying to ignore the glaring holes in the official conspiracy theroy (because the offical line is just that - an attack perpetated by Al Queda which hasnt been proven - hence a conspiracy theory), that trying to ignore them all is a exercise in futility.

Anyways, not to take any more of your good peoples time, I would strongly suggest any of you with any doubts about that day take a look at the growing body of evidence that keeps mounting.

a good start:
http://www.911review.com/
Old 04-25-06, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

James Berardinelli's Review of United 93

I know Jeff Wells at Hollywood Elsewhere has raved about it.

Ebert and Roeper gave it 2 big thumbs way up on their last show. Roeper called it the best movie so far this year.

I'll probably see it Friday afternoon or evening. I'm looking forward to seeing how Paul Greengrass handles the subject matter. What I'm not looking forward to is the emotional impact.

After 9/11 everyone said they loved each other more, said that they were changed forever, and that nothing would be the same. But I don't see any of that anymore. People put their flags away, returned to their old ways and I personally don't think much truly changed for most Americans.
I agree with you there. It was more of a temporary interruption than a catalystimic change to their lives.
Old 04-25-06, 08:25 AM

I still don't really want to see this film, but given the reviews, I might end up going ... I'll probably give it a few weeks, however.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.