Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Should it be legal for movie theaters to use cell phone jammers?
Yes
79.70%
No
20.30%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ovid
What did we do before movie theatres? We survived then didn't we?
Yea, but that's completely different. That would be like banning all phones because some people make crank calls.

I wasn't aware that we had a National Situation in movie theaters before cell phones because of the tons of "emergency calls" that were missed.
Old 12-19-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The people not in favor of cell phone blocking inside theaters just want their cake and eat it too.
Old 12-19-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
It seems that some aren't arguing about the original poll. The poll asks should it be legal for theaters to do this...not whether or not they should.

You are correct. Let me be perfectly clear, then.

Not only should it be legal to block cell phones in theaters, but we should beat the fuck out those who choose to use cell phones in theaters.
Old 12-19-05, 11:26 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
This wouldn't affect me much, since I can't get a signal in the movie theater I frequent most often anyway. Probably because it's underground.
Old 12-19-05, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Emergency situations weren't a problem pre-cell phone days. They can get up goto a payphone and call the sitter.
I agree, if you can't set aside two hours of your time to watch and enjoy a movie, then you shouldn't be there in the first place.
Old 12-19-05, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Go for it. Shit, this one fucker in the theater when I saw Kong was recording most of the film on his fucking fone. The LCD screen of which is VERY distracting. I couldn't believe nobody around him said anything so I finally yelled out "turn off that cell fone"
I was at preview of 'Mystic River' and at the screening there was patroling of the theatre with night goggles to see if any was doing this kind of shit. They should have ticket takers not only take tickets but patrol the auditoriums at random and kick these type of video pirates out.
Old 12-19-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts
Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Emergency situations weren't a problem pre-cell phone days. They can get up goto a payphone and call the sitter.
And just how would they know to go call the babysitter if an emergency should arise? Are they psychic or something?

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
So you don't turn your cell phone off when you're in theaters?
No, I don't. I set it to silent. A quick flip to see who it is and I can either let it go to voicemail or I can excuse myself and take the call.
Old 12-19-05, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Gimmie a break, that is such a broad generalization it is absurd.
And yet, apparently right on the money.

I am a new parent
What, do you want a cookie?

and a cell is a bit of piece of mind that allows me to relax and enjoy the film when I have a 18 month old at home in the hands of a 13 year old.
Perhaps, as a parent, its your responsibility to place your new child in the hands of someone who automatically gives you peace of mind. Your parents didn't have a cell phone when they left you and you made it through just fine for the few hours I'm sure they occasionally went out. I shouldn't be made to pay for your parenting decisions simply because you feel you have the right to impose that on me.

Getting out of the house for a night out with the wife to catch the latest release is a way to unwind.
And you have every right to do so, but not at the expense of others in the theater.

That being said, my wife turns her phone off and I keep mine on vibrate. Pretty simple concept.
Yes, I can almost see you now, "Yes everyone, cell phones and pagers off... except for me because I have an 18 month old. I'm much better than you and have every right to ignore this rule." And why turn one of them off? What if there is an emergency and the person on the other end doesn't have your number, only your wife's? This seems like a half-assed attempt to actually observe the rules without actually having to do so.

So it all comes back to this astute observation: The "me first" attitude.
See above... You can say that I'm taking a "me first" attitude by not wanting to be disturbed by phones during a movie, but the difference is that my "me first" doesn't disturb others.

So those that want to block a signal are basically saying they want a legal way to enforce common courtesy. Makes perfect sense to me.
If people actually observed common courtesy on their own, there would be no need to have it forced on them. While you seem to want to distance yourself from the troublemakers, you're still a member of the club.

It's like making an argument for driving while you're drunk. You're not supposed to do it, but what if you have an emergency? Is it ok then? Is it ok to cut in front of people in line at the bank because you feel you have an emergency? Can you talk out loud during a movie if it's an emergency?

Using a cell anywhere you damn well feel like isn't a right. It a privilege that some feel entitled to burden others with. I very broadly stated that if you were fighting this, you were the target of this and you did nothing but reinforce my point.

Cliff
Old 12-19-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
No, I don't. I set it to silent. A quick flip to see who it is and I can either let it go to voicemail or I can excuse myself and take the call.
Does it light up like a beacon? That's just as annoying as it ringing to me. I can see those things 20 aisles away. Very annoying. It is possible to do it discretely, I suppose, but I see them all the time.
Old 12-19-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts
What we all really want to know is why there is no ranking under CliffStephenson's
username.
Old 12-19-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by awmurray
Does it light up like a beacon? That's just as annoying as it ringing to me. I can see those things 20 aisles away. Very annoying. It is possible to do it discretely, I suppose, but I see them all the time.
Nope, I place my hand over it and keep it in my lap. I also take it out to look at the time.
Old 12-19-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slavetotherave
Just playing the devil's advocate for a moment, but if it's selfish for someone to bring their cell phone to the movies because it may or may not be important to be able to be contacted, isn't it just as selfish to consider your movie going experience to be more important than their situation? I mean, it's like driving. If you are driving down the road and some guy speeds up past you and then he cuts you off and jets down the road, we automatically think "frickin jerk!" But that guy could be late to work. He could be on the way to the hospital from work to try and get there before his wife gives birth. He could be going to a friend's house who is about to commit suicide. He could be trying to escape from the police because he just robbed a bank. I mean, in the long run, who is being selfish?

I think its funny that you mention people wanting cellphones off being "selfish" yet you mention a guy cutting you off because he robbed a bank.

Talk about being selfish.

Honestly, i dont understand why people have a problem. People managed just fine before the advent of cellphones and i dont see why blocking phones would be such a problem.

If you are going out for the night without the kids, leave the number to where you are going.

If you are a Doctor wanting to see a movie then go on a day when you aren't on call.

With all this talk, it makes it seem like living in the 1940's-1980's was so painful because nobody could be reached instantly.
Old 12-19-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CliffStephenson
Yes, I can almost see you now, "Yes everyone, cell phones and pagers off... except for me because I have an 18 month old. I'm much better than you and have every right to ignore this rule." And why turn one of them off? What if there is an emergency and the person on the other end doesn't have your number, only your wife's? This seems like a half-assed attempt to actually observe the rules without actually having to do so.
What? You have super hearing that a phone on vibrate is annoying? Next time you cough or wheeze or clear your throat during a movie or performance, can I have you taken out of the theater for being annoying? How about at a fanboy film like Star Wars? Can I have you removed for that annoying clapping and cheering?
Old 12-19-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts
And yet, apparently right on the money.

Perhaps, as a parent, its your responsibility to place your new child in the hands of someone who automatically gives you peace of mind. ..

yada...yada...yada...more nosensical rambling...
So you have NEVER worried about leaving your child with someone? No matter how much you trust them? Or do you even have a child? By your response I'm going to have to lean towards the latter. BTW, our 13 year old babysitter is trained in first aid and CPR. That doesn't make a parent worry any less.

That is an awful lot of time spent replying to someone who never said he talks on his phone in the theater. I keep it on vibrate. psst... that means silent, you can't hear it, and head to the lobby if I do get a buzz. Sheesh. Quite a bit of reading between the lines and assumptions on your part. FYI, I hate it as much as you when someone's phone goes off. It happened this past weekend. But along with the phone issue all the kicking of seats, talking, making noise with straw/soda container, crumpling candy wrappers, etc., common courtesy is the problem. Not cell phones.

It read as if you were so quick to formulate an opinion that you weren't paying attention to what you were actually reading. So no, I cannot be "lumped in" with the broad generalizations that people that leave their phones on are all morons. 1.Its on vibrate. 2. I leave the theater. 3. In 6 years I've only had 1 call during a movie. Not everyone with a phone is the devil, a lot DO have common courtesy and are responsible human beings.

BTW, there are a lot of BAD analogies in this thread. I'll throw another out there. Those that want to block signals because of a few who don't follow the rules are like the people that ban the use of "Christmas Tree" in favor of "Holiday Tree" because of the complaints of a select few people. Bah humbug.
Old 12-19-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holiday means Holy day. So in the same sense, Christmas Tree means the same as Holiday Tree. So in a sense, you're being as anti-religious as those trying to get rid of Christmas. but that's besides the point.

If you can't devote two hours of your time that you can't put off a phone call either known or unknown then you really shouldn't brave the tough task of going to the movies. Sure, things in life can come up, but you have voice mail for a reason.

If you walk into a theatre that has it posted then I don't see why you aren't responsible for the actions you make. If I don't want to have my phone call recorded I don't conduct my business through telephone lines when talking to customer support.
Old 12-19-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Seeing the glow of cell phone screens in the audience from people checking text messages or who's calling can be pretty annoying too.

I highly doubt that the majority of people would have the courtesy of leaving the theater to take a call or check a message. Especially just to make sure that the call isn't about an emergency.
Old 12-19-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
No. "Little Timmy is in the emergency room. I tried to call you, but couldn't get through."
You could do the same thing you would've done in the years before cel phones!
Old 12-19-05, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So you have NEVER worried about leaving your child with someone? No matter how much you trust them? Or do you even have a child? By your response I'm going to have to lean towards the latter. BTW, our 13 year old babysitter is trained in first aid and CPR. That doesn't make a parent worry any less.
That point is irrelevant:
If I don't have children - I shouldn't be burdened by the side effects of yours.
and
If I do have children - I shouldn't be burdened by the side effects of yours.

That is an awful lot of time spent replying to someone who never said he talks on his phone in the theater. I keep it on vibrate. psst... that means silent, you can't hear it, and head to the lobby if I do get a buzz. Sheesh.
But the bottom lines still remains... That despite the theater requesting that all cell phones be turned off during the show, you still feel "above the law" enough to think the rules don't apply to you.

FYI, I hate it as much as you when someone's phone goes off. It happened this past weekend.
No, you hate it when someone else's phone goes off. If your's went off, there'd obviously be a good reason.

But along with the phone issue all the kicking of seats, talking, making noise with straw/soda container, crumpling candy wrappers, etc., common courtesy is the problem. Not cell phones.
I agree 100%. People in the last decade have taken to the movies like they're still watching a movie at home without regards to their surroundings. Now they bring their phones, their meals, and their general lack of consideration. I have every right to pay my $14.00 and watch a movie without distractions. But people have no right to disrupt that just because they also bought a ticket.

It read as if you were so quick to formulate an opinion that you weren't paying attention to what you were actually reading. So no, I cannot be "lumped in" with the broad generalizations that people that leave their phones on are all morons.

No, I was able to so quickly formulate an opinion because it was fairly obvious that you feel superior enough to disregard the rules of the theater. A point you haven't been able to refute.

1.Its on vibrate. 2. I leave the theater. 3. In 6 years I've only had 1 call during a movie. Not everyone with a phone is the devil, a lot DO have common courtesy and are responsible human beings.
But there is one simple point that I'm not going to let go of because it was the initial thing that you originally targeted me for...

Why are you so Goddamn special as to be able to disregard the rules of the theater when they ask for cell phones to be shut off? Why are you so much better or more important than me? The reason why this is even a topic is because there are a lot of people who think the same way and now it's gotten out of hand.

So just answer the one question... When the theater says (in language that is pretty direct), "Please turn off your cell phones and pagers," why do you feel you have the right to disregard that?

Cliff
Old 12-19-05, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
With all this talk, it makes it seem like living in the 1940's-1980's was so painful because nobody could be reached instantly.
exactly - I could care less if no one could reach me - no big whoop for me.
Old 12-19-05, 03:21 PM
Retired

So just answer the one question... When the theater says (in language that is pretty direct), "Please turn off your cell phones and pagers," why do you feel you have the right to disregard that?
To be fair, I have no real problem with someone that puts there phone on vibrate, glances at it, and leaves the theater to return the call.

No more distracting than someone getting up to go the the restroom, and less distracting that accepted noise like popcorn and all the other noise snacks they sell in the theaters.

It's the people who's ringer's go off, who actually answer calls in the theater, or who sit and send text messages through the whole movie that annoy the piss out of me.
Old 12-19-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
No. "Little Timmy is in the emergency room. I tried to call you, but couldn't get through."

I'd rather theaters brought back ushers and expelled rude people. The problem is people's lack of courtesy, not the telephones.
So how did we all survive before cell phones? Silent pagers perhaps? Maybe if people set their phones to silent this would not be a problem but too many people just like to hear their phone ring their silly ringtone.
Old 12-19-05, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
So how did we all survive before cell phones? Silent pagers perhaps? Maybe if people set their phones to silent this would not be a problem but too many people just like to hear their phone ring their silly ringtone.
it was called the third person connection - "you're mom called over here looking for you - you're in deep shit"
Old 12-19-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts
That point is irrelevant:
If I don't have children - I shouldn't be burdened by the side effects of yours.
and
If I do have children - I shouldn't be burdened by the side effects of yours.
Gotcha. 0 children. People want to apply a blanket statement to all moviegoers I was illustrating why you can't. Every situation is different. Doctors, firefighters, parents, etc. all have busy lives and can't drop everything at the drop of a hat to go see a movie like single people. We have to make due with the time we have in our schedule. With films only lasting a few weeks in theaters we have to go when we can squeeze it in. If that means bringing a silent phone to the theater, so be it. It isn't hurting anyone.

But the bottom lines still remains... That despite the theater requesting that all cell phones be turned off during the show, you still feel "above the law" enough to think the rules don't apply to you.

No, you hate it when someone else's phone goes off. If your's went off, there'd obviously be a good reason.
So you have never gone over the speed limit? THAT is a law. We are talking about a rule- a rule mind you that is never broken since my phone makes zero noise. What is so hard to understand? My phone is silent. I get up and go to the lobby to check it. For all you know I am getting a drink or dropping a load. What do you care? It is quite obvious you don't know the difference between a ring and vibrate otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

No, I was able to so quickly formulate an opinion because it was fairly obvious that you feel superior enough to disregard the rules of the theater. A point you haven't been able to refute.
Why am I superior? I'm bothering no one at all. I don't slurp my drink. I don't kick the seats. I don't talk. I don't eat candy. I don't throw popcorn. I don't shoot lasers at the screen, and my phone doesn't ring. It doesn't even leave my pocket. I don't get what you are so worked up about. I guess I it makes me superior b/c I have the only working silent/vibrating phone in existence.

Why are you so Goddamn special as to be able to disregard the rules of the theater when they ask for cell phones to be shut off? Why are you so much better or more important than me? The reason why this is even a topic is because there are a lot of people who think the same way and now it's gotten out of hand.

Because, like you said, I am the most important person in the theater, and I'm definitely better than everyone else in there.

Let me reiterate... again. Like I stated in both my other posts and this one, MY PHONE IS SILENT. For all you know it is off. If it goes off, I leave and you think I am a patron that can't hold my beverage for very long. So then the question begs, "why are you so Goddamn special as to" ascertain the life history and judge every patron in the theater?

I'm just wondering where you picked up that supersonic hearing aid that can hear my vibrating phone. I don't get what is so hard to grasp here. As long as it doesn't ring & I'm not talking or text messaging or whatever on it, I'm not breaking any rules. Vibrate or off, it doesn't matter as long as I leave the theater, you are none the wiser, that is all I'm saying.

I guess from now on I should just bring my 18 month old baby to the movie with us instead of my silent phone, it seems to be the biggest problem, so there. A solution, and I'm still not breaking any rules.
Old 12-19-05, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I think its funny that you mention people wanting cellphones off being "selfish" yet you mention a guy cutting you off because he robbed a bank.

Talk about being selfish.

Well, judging from the happy face I assume you got it, but in case some people didn't, the bank robber thing was obviously a joke.
Old 12-19-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see people under, say, 30 using cell phones in theatres more than anyone else. What makes me angry is some of these younger kids (around 16-25) seem to want to talk to their friends on their phones or by text messaging the entire film. That blue glow. They should be ejected from the theatre right then and there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.