Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Should it be legal for movie theaters to use cell phone jammers?
Yes
79.70%
No
20.30%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anybody remember when cell phones first became widespread, the theater notices used to say "Please turn your cell phone off, or set it to silent mode (or vibrate)." ?

Now, they just say turn it off. And sometimes they don't say "please" anymore.

I think that says something.
Old 12-21-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Familiarity breeds contempt.
Old 12-21-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Why don't you just wait a month after the crowds thin out?
I don't get this either. People rush to see a film on opening weekend when they are bound to encounter all the unpleasant stuff they whine about afterwards.
Old 12-22-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cell phones, loud people, babies, loud children in R rated movies, seat kickers, people who bring outside food like hard candy, seeds, nuts and fried chicken, gum poppers, talkers, whisperers, people with big egos who think they own everything, pituitary cases, people with weak bladders, loud giggling teenage girls (unless they are feeling each other up), obnoxious senior citizens, arm rest hoggers, slobs, people who show up after the film has begun, bunny rabbits, those who talk while the trailers are playing, rats and cell phones once again--especially that stupid distracting light that illuminates from them ... should all stay home.
Old 12-22-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunday Morning
cell phones, loud people, babies, loud children in R rated movies, seat kickers, people who bring outside food like hard candy, seeds, nuts and fried chicken, gum poppers, talkers, whisperers, people with big egos who think they own everything, pituitary cases, people with weak bladders, loud giggling teenage girls (unless they are feeling each other up), obnoxious senior citizens, arm rest hoggers, slobs, people who show up after the film has begun, bunny rabbits, those who talk while the trailers are playing, rats and cell phones once again--especially that stupid distracting light that illuminates from them ... should all stay home.
No offense, but you've identified enough different groups of people that maybe it would just be easier if you stayed home instead.
Old 12-22-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Sometimes the film leaves the theater after 2-3 week run. Also, I'd rather not see a worn out print in the smallest shoebox of the multiplex for "old" films.
I doubt King Kong would be gone in 3 weeks. And he has a free ticket. I can't imagine the experience would be that bad to sour on a free show.
Old 12-22-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was talking in general terms.
Old 12-22-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Sometimes the film leaves the theater after 2-3 week run. Also, I'd rather not see a worn out print in the smallest shoebox of the multiplex for "old" films.
I've had the best luck on Mon-Tues. nights after opening weekend. Virtually empty theaters, usually no more than a dozen people so you aren't sitting on top of each other, and you still get a clean print.
Old 12-22-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jon2
Does anybody remember when cell phones first became widespread, the theater notices used to say "Please turn your cell phone off, or set it to silent mode (or vibrate)." ?

Now, they just say turn it off. And sometimes they don't say "please" anymore.

I think that says something.
Yeah, the Regal Cinemas theater here has a static slide like that that stays on the screen for about two minutes, with one of those HAL 9000 voices repeatedly saying "Please Turn Off Your Cell Phones." Creepy, but good.
Old 12-22-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
I agree with your solution 100%, provided that the theater management clearly warn people about cellphones and pages not working in the screening room.

I will NOT allow the use of active jammers since an RFI "leak" from the jammer could interfere with a nearby cellphone tower.
Old 12-22-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I was talking in general terms.
Funny thing how that quote button works to address someone's post specifically

But in regards to a more general situation, I'm spoiled by having 5+ theaters within 15 minutes of me, so I'm ususally able to find recent movies playing, even though I typically see releases on the first or second week. Either way, watching a movie on the 2nd or 3rd week can't be too much worse then opening. That, or catch a matinee.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-22-05 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Why don't you just wait a month after the crowds thin out?
Doesn't matter. When there's less people, people tend to make MORE noise, thinking that they're the only ones in there and they're not going to bother anyone (or bother less people since there's less people in there).

Not worth it.
Old 12-22-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
I agree with your solution 100%, provided that the theater management clearly warn people about cellphones and pages not working in the screening room.

I will NOT allow the use of active jammers since an RFI "leak" from the jammer could interfere with a nearby cellphone tower.
totally agree about the use of active jammers being bad
too easy for it to have affect off the property