Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Should it be legal for movie theaters to use cell phone jammers?
Yes
79.70%
No
20.30%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

Old 12-18-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Block 'em.

That would be 1 positive step towards me returning to theatres... which leaves around 8 more things that need changing.
Old 12-18-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Yup - block them. If you can't be out of touch for two hours, wait for the DVD. And this is coming from a parent with a 2 year old and a 2 day old.

This is really random, but I think it'd be great if there was a "pause" feature for a movie - I realize it's a film so we're talking a digital projection or something here, but I'd love it if ushers could kick out the people causing problems without causing the well-behaved audience members to miss out on something important in the film.

Sort of a "if you don't all shut up and pay attention we're not going to start the movie again." Make the other audience members do some of the chastising too.

Aw fuck it, I'll just watch movies on my home theater.
Old 12-18-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ban 'em
Old 12-18-05, 06:29 PM

Since people shouldn't be using cell phones in theatre anyway, I say go ahead and block 'em.

If you're really so highly strung that you can't enjoy the movie because you're convinced someone is trying tell you little Timmy has been horribly mangled then you shouldn't be in the theatre in the first place. You should be at home, hiding under the covers.
Old 12-18-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I said "No" because of emergency use, too. Since the technology is availible, I would fucking burn down the theater if I found out I could have seen my sister or my wife on her hospital bed before they died but missed it because I was watching a bloody 3 hour monster movie, I missed that chance because of cellphone blockers. Usually I scream, "Shut the fuck up!" whenever someone tries to talk on a cellphone.
Old 12-18-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes they should be allowed to use cell phone blockers. Don't give me that doctor who has to save the world crap. Stay home then and watch dvds.
Old 12-18-05, 07:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It seems that some aren't arguing about the original poll. The poll asks should it be legal for theaters to do this...not whether or not they should.

Yes, it should be legal, but theaters should make it clear that such a device is being used so that people who do need their cell phones know not to patronize them.
Old 12-18-05, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
I said "No" because of emergency use, too. Since the technology is availible, I would fucking burn down the theater if I found out I could have seen my sister or my wife on her hospital bed before they died but missed it because I was watching a bloody 3 hour monster movie, I missed that chance because of cellphone blockers. Usually I scream, "Shut the fuck up!" whenever someone tries to talk on a cellphone.
In a situation where your sister or wife would go from being perfectly fine to being DEAD in a matter of a couple hours, it's entirely possible that you wouldn't make it to see them in time anyway. If you're that paranoid about family members suddenly dying--and theaters enforce this phone-blocking thing--then you should stick to renting DVDs.
Old 12-18-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is already a way to block cell phones, and it's legal. And it's passive, so that the technology can't interfere with cell phones outside or close to theaters, which would be a concern I would have

When building new theaters, construct them so cell transmissions can't be received. This would not be expensive, nor illegal. A lot of buildings already block cell phones, and not by design. Existing theaters could be retro-fitted.

It would also be best for such theaters to inform patrons they can't receive calls.

As for family emergency scenarios. That's just self-rationalizing. What's the dif between turning off your phone and its reception being blocked? You still wouldn't receive the "bad news" until it was too late.

What did people do before cell phones? If someone's that worried, they should get up every 30 minutes or so, go outside, call whoever they're concerned about to make sure they're safe and sound, then go back inside to enjoy the movie...if it's possible for them to do so.

This is taking on the tone of those discussions about whether it's right or wrong to bring infants/small children to movies. Ridiculous going-around-in-circle arguements with no resolution, while certain parties kept rationalizing one after another what-if scenarios for justifying why parents have every right to engage in social rudeness and interfere with others, and why those others should more "understanding/accomodating."

Sheesh!

Last edited by Jon2; 12-18-05 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-18-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
That's why the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin is the greatest theater in the country. During King Kong Friday night, some noisy teens were kicked out 20 minutes into the movie.
That's awesome.
Old 12-18-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ovid
What did we do before movie theatres? We survived then didn't we?

that's not even addressing the problem at hand.
Old 12-18-05, 10:04 PM
Retired

I support it 100%. Just put up signs all over the place so people that have to stay in contact know to stay out of the theater.

Hell, I'd even be willing to compromise and just have it in certain showing and just show them on the ads as "cell phone free showings" so there would still be other showings the doctors, parents etc that need to have their phone on in case of an emergency can go to.
Old 12-18-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
So you don't turn your cell phone off when you're in theaters?
Old 12-18-05, 10:13 PM

It should be legal. Part of the experience they're trying to sell is being hindered by noisy patrons and the industry is suffering (partly) for it. At the point where most theaters have pre-movie notices that ask you to shut off cell phones and they STILL go off...I say block the bitches out. People lived for centuries without cell phones they can live a few hours without them as well.
Old 12-18-05, 10:16 PM
Banned

I would be ALL for this. Ushers don't do shit. You try telling a belligerent assmunch to leave the theater and you're going to create more of a problem than anything else. Especially the 16yo's they have working the theaters.

Again, if you can't spend 2 hours away from your phone, don't go to the fucking movies.
Old 12-18-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc

Again, if you can't spend 2 hours away from your phone, don't go to the fucking movies.
Exactly. I say block the hell out of them.

On a similar note: if you can't refrain from talking to your buddy for 2 hours while watching a film, don't go to the fucking movies

If you can't make your kid behave in public, or have no desire to do so, don't go to the fucking movies.

If you can't sit reasonably still for 2 hours, and have spastic legs that must hit the chair in front of you every 10 minutes, don't go to the fucking movies.

If everyone actually took the above advice, then I actually would go to the fucking movies.
Old 12-18-05, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
that's not even addressing the problem at hand.
Nope, just illustrating the logical error in your proposition. You presented an argument in favor of blocking them, and it was, logically, a bad example. So I countered with an identically valid statement, but with an obvious absurbd practical purpose. Just logical discourse.

Last edited by Ovid; 12-18-05 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-18-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm sure while theater owners will be all for blocking cellphone calls and pagers with active methods, the FCC might not allow it. One reason: an active jammer could unintentionally interfere with a nearby cellphone antenna array that sends out cellphone and pager signals.

Passive blocking might work, provided that the theater clearly inform all patrons that cellphones and pagers will not work in the screening room itself.
Old 12-18-05, 10:46 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by RayChuang
Passive blocking might work, provided that the theater clearly inform all patrons that cellphones and pagers will not work in the screening room itself.
I think that's the way it would have to be.

And as I said, that would allow them to just have some showings blocked and some not, so as to not screw the doctors, parents that need to be reached if the sitter has an emergency, etc. out of goign to the movies, while still allowing those that want utter silence to enjoy movies at different showings.
Old 12-18-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think people in NYC go to the movies for the sole purpose of using their cellphones...Since service in the city is usally pretty shoddy, it seems like once people get into a movie theatres, reception is clear as a fucking bell because they go off constantly.
Old 12-18-05, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I would be ALL for this. Ushers don't do shit. You try telling a belligerent assmunch to leave the theater and you're going to create more of a problem than anything else. Especially the 16yo's they have working the theaters.
While I agree with this partially, I don't feel like much of the blame falls with the ushers. A lot of times when someone grabs an usher, they're not even very specific about which person is the offender. And when you go into a dark room full of people, unless you SEE the person in the act, it's hard to make sure you've got the right guy. And most of the time the person that comes to get the usher doesn't even know exactly who is it. "There's a guy in the first row that keeps talking." Oh, THAT guy. The one with the head, and two arms and legs, right?

Besides, employees are supposed to be courteous at all times, even when asking someone to shut up. It's up to the managers when to yank someone out. These days you can't do anything to customers. They even told us in training that if someone fell down or injured themselves in any way inside the theater, even if it was from their own fault or someone else's, you can't -IN ANY WAY- ever say "sorry." Never. Because that implies fault of the theater, and thus it skews the situation. It's ridiculous. So if someone pinches their finger in the arm rest and you can't say "Ooh, sorry, can I get you some ice to put on that?" imagine saying "Excuse me sir, can you shut your face so people can watch the movie?"

Besides, cell phones are probably one of a hundred different ways to piss off other patrons. Aside from talking, and kicking seats, and crying babies, I've had to deal with people throwing popcorn, shooting straws, sticking gummi bears to the screen, running around and hopping seats, some lady let her infant shit all over the place and stank up the back of the theater, some guy was masturbating in the last row..... plus there's unintentional things like spilled drinks, or throwing up, or people walking around looking for their seats, etc etc... unless theaters become private viewing mini theaters, there's always going to be SOMETHING that's annoying.

Perhaps we should go back to the Drive-Ins...
Old 12-18-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
"... but then I left a voice message. Glad you got it and responded to it when you got out of the theatre. You couldn't do anything but worry for that time anyways as Timmy's life is in the doctors hands."
Except the doctor didn't show up. He was on call, but he went to the movies and his pages were blocked.

And why would this stop with movie theaters if allowed? If active blockers were allowed, don't you think any number of places would install them? Restaurants, for example. Gasoline stations, as well (they could even cite the non-existant-but-still-feared danger cell phones supposedly create, and if you own the pay phones, there's a potential added bonus). Schools. I could even see cities putting up blockers along the roadway to prevent people from talking on them while driving (no sillier than any number of things my city counsel does every session).

If we're going to open the can of worms, we may end up not being all that happy about the end result.

Block 'em, don't block 'em. I don't care one way or another (nobody ever calls me anyway, and I always turn mine off before going to the theater), but even a guarantee of no cell phone interruptions would change my theater-going habits. Cell phones have not been a common-enough problem for me to even think about it prior to choosing to go to the movie when many other factors that NATO and its members apparently support do (the fast-rising price of a ticket and the ever-expanding pre-show advertisements are much bigger factors in my mind. I'd gladly let them discuss cellphones once they address and solve those other issues first. But I don't see them falling all over themselves to come up with a customer-favoring solution for those issues).
Old 12-19-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDan
Except the doctor didn't show up. He was on call, but he went to the movies and his pages were blocked.

And why would this stop with movie theaters if allowed? If active blockers were allowed, don't you think any number of places would install them? Restaurants, for example. Gasoline stations, as well (they could even cite the non-existant-but-still-feared danger cell phones supposedly create, and if you own the pay phones, there's a potential added bonus). Schools. I could even see cities putting up blockers along the roadway to prevent people from talking on them while driving (no sillier than any number of things my city counsel does every session).

If we're going to open the can of worms, we may end up not being all that happy about the end result.

Block 'em, don't block 'em. I don't care one way or another (nobody ever calls me anyway, and I always turn mine off before going to the theater), but even a guarantee of no cell phone interruptions would change my theater-going habits. Cell phones have not been a common-enough problem for me to even think about it prior to choosing to go to the movie when many other factors that NATO and its members apparently support do (the fast-rising price of a ticket and the ever-expanding pre-show advertisements are much bigger factors in my mind. I'd gladly let them discuss cellphones once they address and solve those other issues first. But I don't see them falling all over themselves to come up with a customer-favoring solution for those issues).
Then, ummm . . . maybe he shouldn't go where he can't get the page? If he is on call, he wouldn't be going to a bar and getting drunk. There are sacrifices to make when being on call. If the theater has it plainly posted that cell phones/pagers were blocked, maybe along with another on-screen ad, then he should know not to be there.

I think it should be legal, and I hope it becomes that way. People know in advance they can't smoke in some places, and they smoke somewhere else. I know that I can't have sex in the middle of Space Mountain, so I do it somewhere else as well.
Old 12-19-05, 12:17 AM

Not only am i annoyed by all the cell phone ringers and talkers in the theatres but its even worse driving to the theater to get a good seat on opening weekend when some itiate in front of you is driving 35 in a 50 on the way to the theatre.
Old 12-19-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by slavetotherave
some guy was masturbating in the last row
What movie was it? You remember, don't you?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.