Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Daredevil" DC...such an under appreciated classic!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-02-05, 11:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I liked the theatrical a lot and not sure why there was so much criticism. This is really a good movie and a good superhero movie as well. Sure it's dark and gritty, but that is why it works so well above the lighter superhero fare.
I thought Ben did an admirable job and this DC just adds to the enjoyment. With the extra scenes of how he is such a brilliant lawyer...not bad. Gives him personality and Colin Farrell just steals the show as Bullseye. He was so superiorly deranged.

Where's the love...
Old 12-02-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've wanted to see the Daredevil DC, since it's supposedly quite different.

Though I hated the theatrical cut. It wanted to be dark and gritty, but instead was light and silly with some rather undeserved "dark" moments.

Is the DC a big improvement though? If I could rent this thing I'd watch it but nobody ever has the DC.
Old 12-02-05, 11:17 PM

Yeah, I wish Netflix carried the DC. I've never seen the theatrical cut either, which they have, but I'd much rather just see the DC.
Old 12-02-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The quick, sloppy editing of the action scenes ruined it for me. Bullseye was definitely one of the cooler comic book bad guy. I am only into comics via the movies, so as a general movie fan, I think the fact that he was blind hurt the movie. Just gave it a twist of ridiculousness.
Old 12-03-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have a single good thing to say about this movie. Lousy music, lousy acting, and lousy script. A better director wouldve helped.
Old 12-03-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still haven't seen the DC yet, but I'm one of the lone lovers of the theatrical cut. Kept on hearing how bad it sucked when it was in theaters, so I skipped it. But I checked it out at a Hotel room on ppv and was suprised at how much I liked the movie.
Honestly, the now-dated soundtrack is the only problem I have with it.
Old 12-03-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I've seen them both and really, the DC doesn't do much to save this P.O.S. The difference, they take away the sex scene and make it so DD goes out and fights. Big whoop, the rest of the flaws still show.
Old 12-03-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoyed the theatrical, and enjoyed the director's cut a little bit more. Very solid comic book films.
Old 12-03-05, 01:04 AM
Banned

....hated Clarke (?) as Kingpin. He just didn't work for me. He should've been MUCH more massive (perhaps CGI). His race is irrelevant in this matter, though; don't want anyone to misunderstand my dislike for him IN THIS ROLE. He was just a big meaty guy, and, hell, if that's the requirement. they could've gotten me to play Kingpin for much less, LOL....
Old 12-03-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I enjoyed the theatrical, and enjoyed the director's cut a little bit more.
Likewise...the DC is just that tad bit better. The movie is considerably longer, for the better too. It gives us more time with the Matt Murdock character, which actually makes it a "Daredevil" movie.

The theaterical version was so busy introducing so many characters that Daredevil didn't necessarily seem like the centerpoint of the movie.
Old 12-03-05, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
....hated Clarke (?) as Kingpin. He just didn't work for me. He should've been MUCH more massive (perhaps CGI). His race is irrelevant in this matter, though; don't want anyone to misunderstand my dislike for him IN THIS ROLE. He was just a big meaty guy, and, hell, if that's the requirement. they could've gotten me to play Kingpin for much less, LOL....

I loved the way the cops bust in and arrest kingpin for losing to daredevil.

"Kingpin, You are under arrest for getting your ass kicked by a blind man"
Old 12-03-05, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the DC way more than the original version but there are certainly still many flaws in the film. I like most of the stars in the film but I don't care for them much in this particular film.
Old 12-03-05, 07:38 AM

The theatrical cut was one of the least memorable movies i've ever seen, a hotch potch of ever superhero cliche in the book.
Old 12-03-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the theatrical cut was an ok movie. I thought the director's cut was much better, and made this a good movie.
Old 12-03-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big daredevil comic fan and the movie sucked. All of it. It was badly written, badly acted and butchered what miller did on daredevil. And Ghost rider will suck too.
Old 12-03-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I thought the theatrical cut was an ok movie. I thought the director's cut was much better, and made this a good movie.
Ditto.

I bought, and still have, both, but would only watch the first release for disk 2.
Old 12-03-05, 01:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I still haven't seen the DC yet, but I'm one of the lone lovers of the theatrical cut. Kept on hearing how bad it sucked when it was in theaters, so I skipped it. But I checked it out at a Hotel room on ppv and was suprised at how much I liked the movie.
Honestly, the now-dated soundtrack is the only problem I have with it.
you're not alone in liking the theatrical. i very much enjoyed it and what prompted me to buy the DC.
Old 12-03-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

But in the director's cut, they actually explain why the cops show up to arrest him. It's been about a year since I've seen it, so I forget the reason, but it's there.
Old 12-03-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have both versions and the director's cut improves the film greatly. An entire subplot was axed for the theatrical cut. I'm glad it's put back in.
Old 12-03-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't think the theatrical cut was bad, but casting Afleck as a superhero was one of the poorest casting decisions of all time.
Old 12-03-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

Did you see the director's cut?

There is a subpot excised; the death of a hooker is traced back to Kingpin's right-hand man, played by Leland Orser. The cop tells him he can go to jail or start talking about a plea bargain. Therefore, the police take Kingpin down over what his underboss confessed to.
Old 12-03-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I've seen the DC and even though they toss in that quick and dirty reason it still feels forced and the movie, while it improves on it, is like spraying frebreeze on a pile. I wouldn't call it an under appreciated classic in any way though.
Old 12-03-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rather like the original movie, I'd line it up with Fantastic Four - flawed, but still fun. I actually think Affleck was pretty good as DD, but the mediocre direction didn't help. Still, I own it and like it -- keep meaning to pick up the director's Cut, I've seen it for $10 at WalMart.
Old 12-03-05, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I rather like the original movie, I'd line it up with Fantastic Four - flawed, but still fun.
My point of view exactly. (I was going to compare it to FF as well. Iím glad I read to the bottom before posting.)

Originally Posted by thelwig14
...I think the fact that he was blind hurt the movie. Just gave it a twist of ridiculousness.
They made the same mistakes in the Spiderman movies. A guy that can crawl up walls??? Címon!

Last edited by Kudama; 12-03-05 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually enjoyed the TC but the DC made a good film much better. It's not a classic by any means but it's a good comic book movie. That said, the stuff with Wesley seemed a bit rushed. But I did like that final shot of him and Kingpin with adjacent cells. Obviously Kingpin pulled some strings (why else would they have adjacent cells?) and Wesley is a dead man. A quick easy set up for a sequel that doesn't linger unnecesarily.

Now if only the fight choreography was better. The bar fight was just fine but the other fights weren't as good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.