Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Daredevil" DC...such an under appreciated classic!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Daredevil" DC...such an under appreciated classic!

Old 12-03-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really liked the movie especially the DC,loved Affleck and Garner and thought the movie looked cool and maybe since i didnt have high expectations it made it even better.
Old 12-03-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really liked Daredevil, havent seen the DC but its much better then people say. They are always way too harsh on Ben Affleck I thought he did a good job in it. I will even go as far as I liked Dardevil more then the first spiderman
Old 12-03-05, 05:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by astrochimp
I really liked the movie especially the DC,loved Affleck and Garner and thought the movie looked cool and maybe since i didnt have high expectations it made it even better.
i like the comment with the expectation...i didn't have any either and i think that is why i enjoyed it so much.
Old 12-03-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Me too. I really liked it.
Old 12-03-05, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The kicker is that playground fight scene between Matt and Elektra. If you can ignore that part you can enjoy the movie. The music in that part reminded me of the only thing I didn't like about some Dario Argento scenes. Heavy metal with the worst fucking timing.

Ordered my disc today (been meaning to and this thread kicked me to). Any idea why the DC disc is cheaper than the TC? It was 10 bucks at Deep Discount.
Old 12-03-05, 08:31 PM

this movie just rocks. i just finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it. the extended scenes made so much sense and i can't believe the TE got released that way with out all the necessary filler
Spoiler:
(the Lisa Tazio murder being tied to Kingpin)
and without it, it can't make sense in the TE. i really want to see the TE now just to see how this was done without the holes filled in.

it just makes you wonder which version would truly make the most $ if they were released together. if only they released this cut, would it have been the uber-blockbuster that they predicted?

it brings up so many ?'s and makes me wonder why the true visions of certain films won't get shown simply because it is perhaps less "marketable". it seems we suffer for the sake of the bastardization of potentially great films. i think the movie going public has come a long way and should be given the credit to understand and enjoy the cerebral over the fluff.

i really wonder if "Daredevil" had come out after "Batman Begins" if the DC would be the one given the royal treatment and presented to the public. i think DD DC really falls into the BB category, now, after seeing BB, as the more thinking person's superhero flick rather than the fluff of say "Fantastic 4".

both Batman and Daredevil are flawed and less than perfect with no real superpowers and they become heros despite it all and it makes both movies, "Batman Begins" and "Daredevil" DC absolutely a joy to sit through multiple times.

and did you catch
Spoiler:
Frank Miller's
cameo? i didn't

that is all...

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-03-05 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kudama
Any idea why the DC disc is cheaper than the TC? It was 10 bucks at Deep Discount.
probably because of the extensive extras on the 2-disc TE. this is simply the extended movie with one featurette.
Old 12-03-05, 08:35 PM

now my question is...when the hell are we going to see "Daredevil 2"???this is a potential franchise not to be pawned off simply because people were offset by things in the TE. Affleck did an admirable job and really played the character how you were supposed to i think.

they cut out the bad and use the criticism to SHOW the movie they wanted to in the first place! all the players will be back sans perhaps Garner who i think (along with that part of the story)was the only wink link and gotta double the dose on Bullseye. Colin just played the crap out of that part!

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-03-05 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
I got this movie as part of a 3 pack with the other two movies being both X-men films (I'm giving them another shot). Only $16.99!!! (at my local store).

Daredevil (DC) is fucking terrible. I just got done watching it and I'm now going to use it as a beer coaster (seriously) for when I watch the X-Men films......which I'm about to do right now so I'll talk to ya later.

Bye now.

Last edited by Rival11; 12-03-05 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hated Daredevil. Is the DC really that much better? Should I give it a shot?
Old 12-03-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
If you hated the theatrical, the director's cut won't change your mind.
Old 12-03-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If you hated the theatrical, the director's cut won't change your mind.
I don't know about that. I turned off the theatrical cut after about 30 minutes, but later on picked up the Director's Cut after a few recommendations from some fellow comic fans. Needless to say, I really enjoyed the new cut. It really is that much better.
Old 12-04-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The DC is definitely better, mainly because, as someone else already stated, it focuses more on Daredevil and less on Elektra.

Still not a prefect film, and even the director himself (in interviews explaining the DC) doesn't feel this is his 'definitve' version of the film - but it's a hell of a lot better than Elektra. Now that, was an out and out peice of crap!
Old 12-04-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
I turned off the theatrical cut after about 30 minutes,
Was it the fact that the hero had a villain killed in the first 30 minutes? Because that was what intrigued me about the movie.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 12-04-05 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-04-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the theatrical version was fairly entertaining. One of the things I liked about it was how they handled the romance of the Matt/Elektra. It handles the relationship much better than the average romance flick could. There are just some really tender scenes between the two (the rain scene and the ball).

The movie is still flawed. I cringed during the scene where Matt and Elektra are fighting in on the see-saw. But I think if you're willing to go with it and stuff like that, the movie is rather effective. I think it has some strong characterizations. Affleck's adequate in the role. He does look pretty silly in the floppy reddish hair though. Garner did a solid job and Farrel was over the top but enjoyable. The Kingpin could've been so much more though.
Old 12-05-05, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I liked the theatrical cut and I loved the Director's cut. I must state that I still hate Affleck. His overacting is horrible. His buddy Matt Damon would have made a better Murdock.
Old 12-05-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I rather like the original movie, I'd line it up with Fantastic Four - flawed, but still fun.
I'll third that. I enjoyed the movie and actually own both versions, but it certainly wasn't perfect. I'd be up for a sequal.
Old 12-05-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Actually enjoyed them both. Liked the DC better as most others.
Old 12-05-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts
I've never seen the theatrical cut, but I just watched the Director's Cut and thought it was pretty good. From what I've seen of the stuff left out of the theatrical cut it looks like the director's cut is much better - better character development and better pacing.

Too bad that they seem to have totally screwed up the Elektra movie (I haven't seen that one, and it sounds like I haven't missed anything). I thought she was an interesting, entertaining character that had a lot of potential. It's all about the script, and like Catwoman it seems that the producers thought that crap would be good enough if they had the right star. I'd love to see a re-do of the Elektra movie with a new (better) script and a good director. That isn't going to happen, though....
Old 12-05-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The DD films are my fav comic book adaptations. Enjoyed them more than the XMen and Spiderman films.

This was released at the height of the "hate Affleck" time. That had to be a part of it's less than expected performance.

And a lot has been said about the music. Meh. The soundtrack CD was in my car for a long time as my sons and I played it to death. Sure, it may feel dated now, but that can be said for most any pop-soundtrack film. Fast Times? The Graduate? (Also two of my favs)

I'd like to see a DD2, but...I doubt it'll ever be released. I remember many saying "Who's Daredevil?" when it came out. Doesn't have the recognition of a Batman, Superman or Spiderman. That, and the performance of the first film, may have ended any chances at a sequel.
Old 12-05-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts
I was under the impression that Daredevil did fairly well for a February release (just reaching $100 million). They made a big deal about its smaller budget and February release date. All the reports I read and saw on TV about the box office performance of DD were fairly positive - good enough that they were talking about the possibility of a sequel.
Old 12-05-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
I liked the theatrical a lot and not sure why there was so much criticism. This is really a good movie and a good superhero movie as well. Sure it's dark and gritty, but that is why it works so well above the lighter superhero fare.
I thought Ben did an admirable job and this DC just adds to the enjoyment. With the extra scenes of how he is such a brilliant lawyer...not bad. Gives him personality and Colin Farrell just steals the show as Bullseye. He was so superiorly deranged.

Where's the love...
There is no love from me because how badly the script was. You say Daredevil works better than lighter fare? This the lighter fare. It's lightweight compared to good movies that explore characters and have a coherent plot like like Batman Begins and Spiderman. PLus X-men.
Like Fantastic 4 after it this movie was made for a young audience and it shows.
Old 12-09-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought the DC when it first came out, but actually never got around to watching it until this thread popped up, so I watched it yesterday... I really liked the theatrical cut, wasn't sure why people hated it so much. I thought Affleck was really good, Garner was hot enough and Farrell fucking chewed the scenery in such a fun way (one of the best movie villains in recent memory).

I may have liked the theatrical, but I LOVED the DC. It was pretty damn good. It really helped clarify a lot of story points, gave a few really good character moments with Favreau and Affleck. I'd say it was easily one of the better superhero movies...certainly no Spider-man 2 or Batman Begins, but I thought it was definitely better than the likes of Hulk, Punisher, Fantastic Four and ...wait for it... The X-Men movies... I'd really like to see Affleck back for a DD2.

MATT
Old 12-09-05, 09:12 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I didn't care for the theatrical cut at all. After skimming through this thread, I may give the director's cut a shot...
Old 12-09-05, 11:10 AM
Retired

I liked the film quite a bit as well. The Director's cut was better, but not and day. I don't see anyone who hated the theatrical version liking the Director's Cut.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.