Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Daredevil" DC...such an under appreciated classic!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Daredevil" DC...such an under appreciated classic!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i prefer the dc as well. Like others have said, the missing footage actually gives the movie a plot line and more reasons for characters to exist (the Joey Pants character) then just to be scenery.
Old 12-09-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't like the theatrical much, but I liked the Director's Cut enough to buy.
Old 12-09-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
"Classic"?
Old 05-01-06, 12:00 PM

RE: DD DC much improvement on a flawed work

I know this is an old thread, but I just watched the DAREDEVIL DC for the first time yesterday.

FWIW, I a) liked the theatrical release, but always felt that something was missing and could understand why many people did not like it and why critics often put it down. And b) think the DC is MUCH better.

Now, that does not mean that people who did not like it now will.

But I think it does mean (for me), that it would have been better to have released the DC version as the one and only.

This is a case where the studio's meddling did not improve box office, nor improve the work.

It may still have failed under the director/writer's vision, but in this case, it should have either succeeded or failed on his vision.

At least the director's cut has a consistant tone, story, character development and the darkness makes more sense.

Is he a great director? No, I think that he can improve. But this thing was done on a relative shoestring budget and I think for what he had to work with he did a more than servicable job and made a movie that is at least good, and I would say very good.

I liked some of the look and style of the theatrical cut. But the story flow was not very good, but I liked the feel of the piece enough that I overlooked it and enjoyed it anyway.

But this DC is so much better. It not only fills in the huge gaps in the story, but it also make characters and relationships more 3D and more believable.

I have to say, though maybe others could have done a better job as Matt Murdock, I don't see why so many people have so many problems with Ben Afleck's portrayal of Matt Murdock or as Daredevil. I thought he did a fine job.

I do agree that I could have done with a different soundtrack, that is already dated. I think a pure orchestral score would have worked better.

I must admit that the humorous ad libs and extended improv with Jon Favreau make me laugh, but they slightly take away from the dark tone for me and slightly take me out of the movie. I think that they could have been edited a bit more, but havign said that I enjoy them enough that I treat them a bit like having a deleted scenes bonus. I would have preferred some of them that way, though. Yet, it is cool to have Foggy's character extended more in this DC.

I am really glad that we got to see more of Joe Pantoliano's Ben Urich. He now has an even more critical role in this version.

And so many of the holes are now plugged up--the biggest being, as someone said earlier --which really made me laugh--that the Kingpin got arrested for being beat up by Daredevil (and maybe disturbing the peace? )! I love the commentary on that on the DC. I mean how stupid is that? How stupid are these suits who make these decisions and how stupid do they think the people are who want to see these movies (don't answer that! )? Now, there is a good reason for it all, and everything ties together.

In the theatrical version, almost nothing ties together.

I also like the reveal of Matt tot he priest better in this version. Rather than implying that the priest knew who he was, which had much less impact, this version was sharper and stronger and supported other subplots and threads better.

One last thing: I am a fan of good fights in movies. I remember once in an old KUNG FU magazine they had an article (probably written by Ric Meyers) of the best fight scenes in movei history. I loved that article and agreed with about 95% of it.

IMHO, many of the fights in DD DC (not the theatrical cut version) would make that list, at least my list. The better version of the first flirtation fight between Matt and Elektra is way cooler and funnier and the other fights are now more brutal and realistic, while still carrying some of that great fantasy fight quality that I still like.

So, for me all in all this DD DC make what I thought was a pretty good superhero movie into both a very good superhero and now simply a good movie on other levels as well.

Thanks for your time and for reading this.

Last edited by N_Wonder; 05-01-06 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i really liked the movie way better then the first spiderman and x-men.
Old 05-01-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... It would have been better if they made Frank Miller's original Daredevil story into triolgy:

First part:
-Daredevil's original told
-Met Elektra at University & romance
-Elektra witnessed her father accidently gunned down by police (as comic stated) - Elektra disappeared from movie
-Daredevil fights Bulleye and throw him in jail

Second part:
-Introduce Hands
-Introduce cursed legend ninja (I forgot the name)
-Elektra joins Kingpin's top assassin
-Daredevil fights Hands
-Elektra met Daredevil first time since university - but Elektra beat Daredevil up

Third part:
-Bulleye escaped from prison (follow same method as comic book)
-Elektra fights Hands and killed cursed legend ninja
-Bulleye learns Elektra took Bulleye's place in Kingpin's top assassin
-Bulleye tracked her down and fight (not in cheap way as movie did )
-Daredevil fight Bulleye and breaks Bulleye's neck.

Last edited by McHawkson; 05-01-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
But Daredevil never killed Bullseye. He does break his neck and Bullseye ends up in the hospital until Dark Wind takes him to Japan and fuses adamantium to his skeleton.
Old 05-01-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But Daredevil never killed Bullseye. He does break his neck and Bullseye ends up in the hospital until Dark Wind takes him to Japan and fuses adamantium to his skeleton.
Fixed.
Old 05-02-06, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, adamantium, the old Marvel cop-out.
Old 05-02-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
Fixed.
Ok, i give up. What did you change?
The posts look identical to me.
Old 05-02-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Ok, i give up. What did you change?
The posts look identical to me.
My original post was
Third part:
-Bulleye escaped from prison (follow same method as comic book)
-Elektra fights Hands and killed cursed legend ninja
-Bulleye learns Elektra took Bulleye's place in Kingpin's top assassin
-Bulleye tracked her down and fight (not in cheap way as movie did )
-Daredevil fight Bulleye and Daredevil killed Bulleye.
When devilshalo mentioned that Daredevil injuried Bulleye, I fixed my post to "Daredevil fight Bulleye and breaks Bulleye's neck."