Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

POTC: Dead Man's Chest Trailer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

POTC: Dead Man's Chest Trailer

Old 05-02-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Unlike Spider-man, Superman has had a steady exposure everywhere. Sure, the last Superman movie was almost twenty years ago (and it was awful) but there's been Lois & Clark and Smallville. All popular shows but no barn-busters. I don't think the movie is going to tank but it's not going to post anywhere near Spider-man numbers.
Good point.
Old 05-03-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
Unlike Spider-man, Superman has had a steady exposure everywhere. Sure, the last Superman movie was almost twenty years ago (and it was awful) but there's been Lois & Clark and Smallville. All popular shows but no barn-busters. I don't think the movie is going to tank but it's not going to post anywhere near Spider-man numbers.
Okay... But I don't understand why you quoted my post. I never said anything about Superman tanking, just that I didn't like the trailer. I also never mentioned Spider-Man.
Old 05-03-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just saw the first movie last week thanks to increased interest from Kingdom Hearts II and saw the trailer for the sequel over the weekend at The Disney Store. Looks great!
Old 05-03-06, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Looks kick ass + Keira means I will be there opening night!
Old 05-04-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was a mild fan of the first movie and just saw the new trailer for the 2nd and it looks solid, great action and I love the sea creatures.
Old 05-04-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just now saw the new trailer. Looks like it's gonna be great.
Old 05-04-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No one has commented on the cgi yet. It's the best in a movie i've seen so far. Apart from the Kraken at the end of the trailer, you can't pick anything else as being cgi. You only know it's cgi cause they can't make puppetry good enough to do what are showing with Davy Jones face. Awesome stuff.
Old 06-26-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Got to ride the expanded ride today. They added a really neat Davey Jones effect on a sort of water fall and the new Jack Sparrows' are well placed and have awsome animatronics.
Old 06-26-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
the new Jack Sparrows' are well placed and have awsome animatronics.
Where are they at exactly?
Old 06-26-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Old 06-26-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Thanks.
A damn good job they did with them!
Old 06-26-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moriarty has a review up on AICN.
Old 06-26-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 207 Posts
Another review for the movie with minor spoilers...

http://www.thehotbutton.com/today/ho...60626_mon.html
Old 06-26-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts
Those Jack Sparrow animatronics look great! It's nice to see some modern technology applied to the ride.
I assume you went on the one in Disneyland, which having a longer stream allows for them to do more with the actual ride. I am curious as to how the Florida version contrasts.
Old 06-27-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,715 Likes on 1,140 Posts
After seeing the first movie in the theater I have to admit, I didn't like it too much. I thought it was too long and the story meandered all over the place not really going anywhere; but after seeing it on DVD I loved it. Sure, it's still a tad long and the story takes a while to get where it's going but the experience of the whole pirate world is what makes it great.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel. The SFX look amazing, and the story (what little I know about it) sounds pretty interesting. This movie has fast become my most anticipated film of the Summer!

I have mixed feeling about the POTC ride. It's without a doubt my favorite Disneyland/World ride. Even if it's was a little out of date technologically, the kitsch factor was very big for me. However, judging from the description of the improvements and seeing the pics above, I have to say the new ride looks like it could be pretty good fun.
Old 06-27-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts
Davey Jones' face is CGI? I thought it was make-up effects. If it is CG, then that is some Gollum/King Kong type level work.
Old 06-29-06, 01:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQ5eWBlApY

For the ride
Old 07-01-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A bit about POTC2's opening weekend, from Hollywood-Elsewhere. Will this be the movie that break's Spider-Man's 3-day record?

"Joel Cohen, vp business development for MovieTickets.com, has told Reuters that "we are really off the charts" in comparing Pirates 2 box-office prospects to what the first Pirates made. The story says that "advance ticket sales are already more than 20 times higher" than that of the original. Exhibitor Relations guy Paul Dergarabedian, whose observations have caused my eyelids to droop more than any other spoksperson in any other field, says that "the buzz around the campfire in Hollywood is, 'Could this be the film to post the biggest opening weekend of all time?" (The phrase is "word around the campfire ," not "buzz"). The Big Kahuna record holder is Sony Pictures' Spider-Man, which opened with $114.8 million in '02. Of course, the Reuters story ignores all considerations about what this sight-unseen enthusiasm for Pirates 2 means in terms of our fast-food culture and the aesthetic sophistication levels that seem to exist among the young. Money, popcorn, abundance...what else matters?"
Old 07-02-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 94 Posts
Well, the girlfriend and I are going to be braving the crowds on opening night. Very rarely do we even think about going to the theater.

The Johnny dolls on that video are incredibly life-like.
Old 07-02-06, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Davey Jones' face is CGI? I thought it was make-up effects. If it is CG, then that is some Gollum/King Kong type level work.
The top half and mouth seem to be makeup and the bottom with all the tentacles is CGI I'm sure. They've made the 2 blend in perfectly. There's another quick glimpse in the trailer of an old man with the back half of his face missing, and that looks mostly CGI and extremly well done as well.
Old 07-02-06, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 904 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by fmian
The top half and mouth seem to be makeup and the bottom with all the tentacles is CGI I'm sure. They've made the 2 blend in perfectly. There's another quick glimpse in the trailer of an old man with the back half of his face missing, and that looks mostly CGI and extremly well done as well.

From "Disney's Insider":
How did a nice guy like Bill become a tentacular terror? We spoke to Bill himself and to Visual Effects Supervisor John Knoll, who brought the character to life visually.

"It was good fun to play somebody this scary, and somebody this weird-looking," says Bill. Although he did pay a price for the experience: "The only tough part was wearing the embarrassing computer-pajama suit. Lesser men than me would have run from the studio. Particularly when everyone else is dressed very glamorously as pirates, and I have to wear a skullcap with a bubble on the top and white dots all over my face!"

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-02-06 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-03-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The top half and mouth seem to be makeup and the bottom with all the tentacles is CGI I'm sure.
There is no makeup on Davy Jones. He's completely CG. Which is GiantRobo's point.
Old 07-04-06, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
There is no makeup on Davy Jones. He's completely CG. Which is GiantRobo's point.
Well that's testament to how good the CG is then. Eat your heart out Yoda