Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters III (D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon)

This looks stupid. Women can't fill the shoes of Larry Storch and a monkey.
Old 02-17-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe they should just call it Ghostbustresses to shut down the misogyny by throwing it right in the title.
Old 02-17-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
How many times is this going to be asked in this thread?
Until somebody actually answers the question.

Make an argument proving an all-female cast isn't.
Who said it isn't? The issue is the double standard here -- if having a unisex team is a gimmick, then the original was just as gimmicky, but nobody rants about how awful it was that only the guys got to use proton packs while the girls were left to answer phones and get molested by dogs.
Old 02-17-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
People already called Bridesmaids the "female Hangover" when it was released:
https://www.google.com/search?q=brid...emale+hangover

With Sex and the City, the main point of the show and subsequent movies were that it was about a group of women and their friendship and romantic relationships. Their gender was part of the point.

With Ghostbusters, it's about a bunch of doofuses who fall into the ghost catching business. Their gender had about as little to do with it as their race.
So by casting an all female group this time around, do you think that it was done coincidentally where it just happened women were the best fit for the roles being written?
Old 02-17-15, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should probably phrase that differently. If it was being written... then yes... they were written for women. Unless they really had blank states in gender for the the script.
Old 02-17-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

With Ghostbusters, it's about a bunch of doofuses who fall into the ghost catching business. Their gender had about as little to do with it as their race.
But the concept was organically created as three male buddies/ co-workers getting fired and they form their own business catching ghosts. That was how it was originally envisioned and created. So yes the fact that it was three men was important because of how the roles were written.

Who said it isn't? The issue is the double standard here -- if having a unisex team is a gimmick, then the original was just as gimmicky, but nobody rants about how awful it was that only the guys got to use proton packs while the girls were left to answer phones and get molested by dogs.
A gimmick is when something is done to either shake up an idea to sell something, or giving up and trying something different in order to get notice. Ghostbusters as a concept was created in the 80's so saying that it was a gimmick doesn't make any sense.

With Sex and the City, the main point of the show and subsequent movies were that it was about a group of women and their friendship and romantic relationships. Their gender was part of the point.
And if someone did the same thing with an all male cast and called it Sex and the City, then that would be a gimmick. Just like if someone said "Hey! Let's remake the Blues Brothers but with women! We can call it The Blues Sisters!" That would be a gimmick.
Old 02-17-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You should probably phrase that differently. If it was being written... then yes... they were written for women. Unless they really had blank states in gender for the the script.
No, I phrased that the way I intended. If gender has little to do with it, then the movie would be written with gender neutral roles and these 4 women happened to be the best fit. I don't think that was the case at all; if the writer/director/studio are the ones taking gender in to consideration, makes sense that there's a subsequent reaction to it.

I still don't get the issue, other then a few folks trying to act socially superior or something. Taking an existing concept and switching an aspect of it around deliberately to attract attention is a gimmick as I mentioned before; it's not necessarily a bad label, it often works, and it's not isolated to gender.
Old 02-17-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I still don't get the issue, other then a few folks trying to act socially superior or something. Taking an existing concept and switching an aspect of it around deliberately to attract attention is a gimmick as I mentioned before; it's not necessarily a bad label, it often works, and it's not isolated to gender.
To me, casting a group of women is the same as casting people who were taller or shorter than the original cast. The fact that they are women has no bearing on the concept of who Ghostbusters are as characters.

But if it was the aforementioned Sister Act or Bridesmaids, those are distinctly female-focused films because nuns and bridesmaids are female characters.

Are Ghostbusters inherently male? And if they aren't, than what's the gimmick? What are they changing about the Ghostbusters? There is nothing distinctly male about them, is there?

I'm genuinely trying to wrap my head around it. When this was all announced, I was like "cool, I like some of the things these people have done" as opposed to OH MY GOD THEY DON'T HAVE DICKS THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO BLOOOOOOOW.
Old 02-17-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 819 Likes on 691 Posts

The studios are always looking for gimmicky concepts to wedge female comedies in, this just happened to be one of the most popular comedies of all time they could use as a selling point. No one would even know this movie is getting made if they hadn't called it Ghostbusters.

Most Ghostbusters' fans were hoping a sequel with the original cast was made in some form, even if it introduced a new generation of Ghostbusters.
Old 02-17-15, 02:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
But the concept was organically created as three male buddies/ co-workers getting fired and they form their own business catching ghosts. That was how it was originally envisioned and created. So yes the fact that it was three men was important because of how the roles were written.
Women can't be buddies or co-workers? They can't get fired and form their own businesses?
Old 02-17-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I think it's going to suck that it's going to be made in the same pattern as every dumbed-down multiplex-friendly "comedy" that's been put out for over the last decade or so. They couldn't put out the ORIGINAL Ghostbusters in today's studio system without putting in a bunch of poop and fart jokes to entertain the yahoos that they're trying to appeal to.
Old 02-17-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PatD
I think it's going to suck that it's going to be made in the same pattern as every dumbed-down multiplex-friendly "comedy" that's been put out for over the last decade or so. They couldn't put out the ORIGINAL Ghostbusters in today's studio system without putting in a bunch of poop and fart jokes to entertain the yahoos that they're trying to appeal to.
You're right - things used to be so much more high-brow:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VPIP9KXdmO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-17-15, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Genius writing!
Old 02-17-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
You're right - things used to be so much more high-brow:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VPIP9KXdmO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
As Bill Maher had put it a few weeks ago on Real Time, back then, it was a shocking thing as a gag for the 70s. It was groundbreaking affront to American Puritanism. Now, it's the laziest par for the course.

But, they couldn't make Blazing Saddles today either--albeit for different reasons.

Last edited by PatD; 02-17-15 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-17-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
To me, casting a group of women is the same as casting people who were taller or shorter than the original cast. The fact that they are women has no bearing on the concept of who Ghostbusters are as characters.

But if it was the aforementioned Sister Act or Bridesmaids, those are distinctly female-focused films because nuns and bridesmaids are female characters.

Are Ghostbusters inherently male? And if they aren't, than what's the gimmick? What are they changing about the Ghostbusters? There is nothing distinctly male about them, is there?

I'm genuinely trying to wrap my head around it. When this was all announced, I was like "cool, I like some of the things these people have done" as opposed to OH MY GOD THEY DON'T HAVE DICKS THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO BLOOOOOOOW.
Just because there's nothing distinctly male about being a Ghostbuster, which I agree with, is irrelevant. The gimmick is that it's the same thing as the previous movies, only this time with all women. YOU might not feel gender as being an attribute worthy of distinction, but do you feel that writers, studios, and the demographics of the movie going public share that same thought?
Old 02-17-15, 03:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do think that gender is an attribute worthy of distinction, but that doesn't mean that playing with gender is automatically a gimmick.
Old 02-17-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I do think that gender is an attribute worthy of distinction, but that doesn't mean that playing with gender is automatically a gimmick.
As the the entire internet is aware, this movie has been in development hell since the mid-90s.

Sony, who has no viable franchises aside from this, knows who and what is "hot" right now in Hollywood. They're ignorant from the leaked e-mails it seems, but not stupid.

This movie is nothing more than a cash grab. Catering to a female demographic by showing a different version of a movie that's already popular with the boys is nothing more than a fucking gimmick. Aside from a few voices here and there, most people are in agreement with that.
Old 02-17-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yes and no. Gender is irrelevant. The fact they went from an all male team in various forms for the past 30 years to all female is what makes it a gimmick, IMO.
Old 02-17-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yes and no. Gender is irrelevant. The fact they went from an all male team in various forms for the past 30 years to all female is what makes it a gimmick, IMO.
Kylie Griffin and Janine Melnitz wept!
Old 02-17-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Sony, who has no viable franchises aside from this, knows who and what is "hot" right now in Hollywood. They're ignorant from the leaked e-mails it seems, but not stupid.
They don't have many, but James Bond is doing okay for them.
Old 02-17-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Women can't be buddies or co-workers? They can't get fired and form their own businesses?
And going back to the Sex and the City example, men can't have sex in New York, be horn dogs, and have relationships? That doesn't change the fact that if HBO rebooted Sex in the City with an all male cast people would be calling it a gimmick and bashing them and calling them sexiest.

Bingo.

They don't have many, but James Bond is doing okay for them.
James Bond isn't their franchise. The have co distribution rights with MGM and thats it. The only franchises Sony has are MIB, Spiderman(which they had to get Marvel involved because they kept botching it after Raimi left) and Ghostbusters. Maybe Masters of the Universe if they ever start production.
Old 02-17-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sex and the City thrived because of its gender perspective, though, whereas the Ghostbusters franchise really doesn't care that the core four are men. Personally, I think they should have mixed the reboot up completely. Five, maybe six members of the team, with both women and men.
Old 02-17-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Schlongs and the City is not what we need. Nor do we need an all female Ghostbuster reboot/remaster/reinvention.
Old 02-17-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure that "Schlongs and the City" is exactly what "Looking" is.
Old 02-17-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wasn't part of the joke with Ghostbusters that they were a bunch of guys waving around their neutrino wands right out of their crotches and trying not to cross their streams with one another? In other words, it was thinly veiled joke about guys' penises. Are they gonna have the females doing the same thing? I don't see how it can be as funny. Unless they have them throw down a tampon trap that they use to suck up the ghosts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.