Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-05, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neocheddar02
Almost a month with nothing new...until now. Now it might not be official, but it sounds very possible:
Having just blown through the tv series over the Thanksgiving holiday (thanks DDD), I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for this.
Old 12-02-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That rumor is false.

When Fox and Universal had an agreement, it was on the basis that all Universal could do involving the franchise was produce theatrical films. Anything involving a television series, mini-series, or television movie all lies within Fox's hands. That is unless Fox is co-producing the television movie, but who knows.

I'd rather see another theatrical film (I'm sure they can do one on a $20 million budget and still have it look pretty good) than a television movie, but I just want more Firefly/Serenity goodness so I'll take either one.
Old 12-02-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Firefly/Serenity in any live action format would be wonderful. I'll take anything really, but nothing beats seeing the actors in their roles.
Old 12-21-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Well I saw it today and absolutely loved it. Great closure for fans of the TV series... I didn't get into "Firefly/Serenity" at all until this fall after the movie came out and got so much press, and missed the movie in theatres. Great flick, though, one of my favorites of the year I think. Can't wait to watch it again with Joss' commentary.
Old 12-22-05, 02:10 PM

Having seen the DVD now, I think a SE has to be in the works. There were deleted/alternate scenes that Whedon mentioned in interviews and on his commentary itself that don't appear on the disk, and as others have mentioned a cast commentary, the full Comicon video, the web shorts, etc. would all be cool to see.

My Blockbuster was rented out of all it's copies only a few hours after opening Tuesday, and I've read that a lot of retail stores were running out of copies. It's already high on the Amazon chart, so hopefully brisk sales will do for the film what FIREFLY DVD sales did for SERENITY and make enough money to warrant a better edition, if not a sequel.

So I'll hold out for now. Either someone will ask Whedon and he'll give a definitive answer on whether an SE is on the way, or this will be dropped to $9.99 in some Circuit City ad in a few months.
Old 12-22-05, 02:13 PM

Oops, sorry everyone. I posted this in the wrong thread.
Old 12-22-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read an interview with Joss a few days ago and he said he is done with Serenity and that universe and is concentrating on Wonder Woman and Goner so if he does decide to go back to it in the future, it will be quit a while.

Also found this from him posted online:
Yes, gentle viewers (and rough, burly viewers) (and viewers who are
mostly gentle and kind and then one day WHAM! homicidal rage), it's
officially 'SERENITY comes out on DVD' day. Last night as we slept,
Santa rode around in his sleigh and delivered shiny, odd-looking
DVD's to all the good video stores (The naughty video stores got
[insert movie you hate to complete witticism]). Everyone's buying
copies, the Whos down in Whoville are all joining hands and singing,
the President has declared a National Holiday for himelf lasting
four months (again) and all is right with the world except for war
and famine and stuff like that. But let's not dwell. What I'm
excited about isn't just that fans get their copies, or that the
people who decided to wait till vid will pick it up. What I'm
excited about is someone who has no idea what SERENITY is getting so
bored they decide to give it a shot. When I worked in a video store
centuries ago, my favorite moment ever was seeing a young girl
watching the monitor where we'd thrown up "Holy Grail" and pulling
at her mom's sleeve laughing, saying "Look, mommy, they're using
coconuts!" Ahh, the classics.

All I can do is hope the stores display our little film proudly, and
that we manage, in our own small way, to sell five hundred billion
copies in the first twelve minutes. Reach for the stars, kids.
Barring that, I hope that some day a small child will be tugging on
a sleeve and saying "Look, Mommy, the intransigent moral rectitude
of the antagonist's world view renders him humble to the point of
arrogance!" Kids are so cute.

Well, no news to give you; just wanted to take a moment to be with
my peeps on this auspicious day. Have fun. You've earned it. Most of
you. some of you are just cruising by on other people's hard
funwork. You think I don't know!?! But let's not dwell.

Smooches, -joss.
Old 04-02-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched this today. Overall I was disappointed as it was not up to the quality of the TV show. I did like it, but this was mostly because I got to see the characters again and got some explanations. I didn't fall in love with it like I did with 'Firefly' and that was frustrating.

I was pissed off that

Spoiler:
they killed off the Shepherd and Wash.

Also very annoyed that

Spoiler:
Shepherd's backstory still remains unexplained.

There was also no further mention of the whole

Spoiler:
"2 by 2, hands of blue" business

although I understand that there was a bit more of this in the Dark Horse comics that tie together 'Firefly' and 'Serenity' (tempted to pick these up).

The presentation of the River plot within the film was nowhere near as dark as it was in the series either, and I was shocked that they seemed to dismiss the entire complexity of that plotline within the opening scenes of the film.

Film also made the mistake of focusing more on the core crew of Mal, Zoe and River too, so Jayne, Shepherd, Kaylee, Inara and Wash didn't get nearly as much screen time as they did in the TV show. As a result, it was not as funny as the show either. Mal was funny in the show, but the others, particularly Jayne, were also great sources of humour too and we didn't really get that in the film - just a few snippets here and there.
Old 04-02-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved the movie , theres no way it could touch on everything in just two hours plus try not to make it complicated for new comers. I thought it was excellent for fans and made enough sense for new comers
Old 04-02-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The comics took care of the blue hands men.
Old 08-18-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I finally watched Serenity tonight, and I have to say that I cried. I didn't want to watch it b/c I didn't want my time with the Firefly crew to end. I thought the movie was really well-done, and answered a number of questions that I had and made sure other questions would never get answered...
Spoiler:
so much for ever knowing about Book's past...

I wasn't sure about Finto and Mango (was that even their name?) and the whole "Mr. Universe" angle, but I'll let that slide. It's not my movie...I'm just here to enjoy it. At the end of the series I said, "I wish I knew more about the Reavers". Careful what you wish for, right? I thought the story was well-done on that front, and really played up the "how in the world are they gonna get out of this mess" angle from the TV show. Granted, they lost a few along the way, but the problems got solved.

I hesitate to say that my two favorite characters were killed off because I enjoy the whole crew so much, but if the show ever (probably never) gets picked up again I hope the creators pick up where the show ended and not the movie.

I was crying at the end at the burial sites when I realized that the show was probably over for good. Reminded of SFU, but this time I was actually more upset. Maybe because Firefly died at such a young age...who knows.

All in all, loved the show from start to finish and loved the movie.
Old 08-19-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by reubs82
other questions would never get answered...
Spoiler:
On the R4 2-disc DVD, there's a Q&A where Joss declines to reveal the backstory of that character due to potential story opportunities down the line. So we may actually find out more about that charcter still, although probably only in comics at this point.

I wasn't sure about Finto and Mango (was that even their name?)
Close, Fanty and Mingo.

and the whole "Mr. Universe" angle, but I'll let that slide.
Mr. Universe works better when you figure out he stands in for the whole internet community that wouldn't let Firefly die after the show was cancelled. You can't stop the signal.

All in all, loved the show from start to finish and loved the movie.
I agree. The movie was the perfect capper to the first season of Firefly, and if that's the last we see of it on screen, I can live with that.
Old 08-19-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gotcha re: Mr. Universe. I didn't get into this stuff until the past 3 months, so I must've missed the whole "can't stop the signal" thing.

I woke up this morning still shaken from the deaths, and I'm not sure if I'd like to see the universe continue from that point or from the end of the actual series. Either way, it was a great ride.

Also, I had no idea about the comics even existing. Looks like I'll have to track those down.
Old 08-21-06, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by reubs82
...and made sure other questions would never get answered...
Spoiler:
The answer was insinuated just not spelled out:
Spoiler:
Book was familiar with the operative so the insinuation is Book used to be an operative himself and gave it up.

IMO really a perfect way to resolve this issue.
Old 08-21-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Book's past was also similarly hinted at in the "Firefly" series when he was able to grant them restricted access in "Ariel" and when Jubal when commented "That ain't no sheperd."

"Serenity" just gave us more of the same.
Old 08-24-06, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Book's past was also similarly hinted at in the "Firefly" series when he was able to grant them restricted access in "Ariel" and when Jubal when commented "That ain't no sheperd."

"Serenity" just gave us more of the same.
The series told us that Book had some sort of former government affiliation but the movie told (implied) us what it was. That's definitely not the same thing.
Old 09-11-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Just saw this on Saturday. While I enjoyed the show, I never felt that the series was all that great, a little over rated and I got the same campy feel from it as I did from Buffy, Zena, Hercules and countless other sci-fi shows. But this movie totally changed my mind. I thought this movie was GREAT. I want to go get the series now (I Netflix'd it) and re-watch it.
Old 09-12-06, 03:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cusm
Just saw this on Saturday. While I enjoyed the show, I never felt that the series was all that great, a little over rated and I got the same campy feel from it as I did from Buffy, Zena, Hercules and countless other sci-fi shows. But this movie totally changed my mind. I thought this movie was GREAT. I want to go get the series now (I Netflix'd it) and re-watch it.
I'm a huge Buffy and Angel fan (my two all time favorite series), so I watched Firefly because it was Whedon. I watched about a handful of episodes and thought it was pretty good, but nothing great (maybe subconsiciously I resented it because it took his time away from his other two series and it was the replacement for a cancelled series I was watching).

Later on down the road the movie came out and I decided to watch the series on DVD in order from the real beginning. I don't know what I was thinking the first time I saw some on TV, but the series really is a great short lived series. The movie was awesome as well, but not as great as the series. Firefly is no Buffy or Angel because it didn't have the time to develop into one, but after re-viewing on DVD I have no doubt that it would've probably been on the same level. Great first season though.

You may appreciate it much more on DVD if your first viewing was on TV. My opinion of the series has definitely changed a bit.
Old 09-13-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nuff
The series told us that Book had some sort of former government affiliation but the movie told (implied) us what it was. That's definitely not the same thing.
Plus, the film gave us this priceless gem of dialogue:

Mal: "You're gonna have to tell me about that sometime"
Book: "No. I really don't."

THANK YOU JOSS!!!!!!!! Why does EVERY character in a TV show have to have some sort of revealed backstory? To set up that there's a secret past, and that he intends to KEEP it secret had me cheering.

Of course, at least part of that is because I think bringing in all that Annie and Wyndam Earl crap to flesh out Cooper's role in season two of 'Twin Peaks' pretty much sent the show into a downward spiral. Nice to see that Joss can predict potholes in the road ahead and swerve in time to miss them. Learned his lessons well, the boy has.
Old 12-04-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, I finally watched the dvd yesterday and really liked the movie. I actually liked the film better than the tv series, as great it was.

The Operative guy was a cool character and the burial scene was nicely done. Did wish jayne and kaylee got more film time but am Definitely grateful for joss, all the actors, crew, and universal for making this movie. Bring on the DVD SE!

And for those of us hoping for a sequel, this is what Summer Glau said in October - There is still a chance.... Although earlier that month Joss had said that there currently were no plans for a sequel.
Old 12-05-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on the dismal box office performance and lack of public interest in the first film, I'd say that's wishful thinking on Glau's part.
Old 12-05-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
Based on the dismal box office performance and lack of public interest in the first film, I'd say that's wishful thinking on Glau's part.
I think she's referring to the contracts that they all signed prior to the first film being made, which locked in options on everyone for future sequels. So if the studio wants to do it, it'd be very easy for them to get everyone back. The problem is that it's unlikely the studio will want to do it.
Old 12-05-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
They could do DTV sequels. There definitely is a market for it.
Is there a large enough market would be the issue though. And Joss seems tied up with other film projects for the moment.

I'd really love to see more on film or TV of the Firefly/Serenity universe, I'm just no going to delude myself into thinking it's going to happen. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 12-05-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
If they can make DTV's such as Wild Things 2, Starship Troopers 2, and 8MM 2, they can make Serenity 2.
Of those, only ST2 would be near the same requirements for FX that a Serenity 2. And I'd rather have no Serenity sequel than one on the level of most DTV offerings like the ones you mention.
Old 11-27-20, 05:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

How did this not hit?

It is such a great sci-fi western that even if you didn’t know or see the short lived, but much beloved tv season (like me), could enjoy a great movie by a highly creative mind and director in Joss Whedon. Whose Buffy the Vampire Slayer, first, I believe, or was a good push in his career, series will always be one of my favorites of all time.

This used elements of great ones. I see some Star Wars, Blade Runner. It might not be wholly original, but it is so much damn fun. You would never know most of these actors are mostly tv actors. Fillion and Baldwin, Baccarin, a little more so now, made some theatrical. But not anyone else. And this is such a fun fucking movie.

Just great space fun. I mean SW is fun, but in different ways. This is simple, great effects and some surprise, rewind a few times moments, that makes this on a whole, on paper, seem like it should have hit big and spawned sequels. Just my opinion. But this is one of my most watched since 2005.

Do you think because of the series (which not a lot watched, thus cancellation) hurt box office because maybe people thought they would have to have seen series to understand? When you really don’t.

If it was just an original movie based on just a screenplay would it have done better and Whedon might have made others, which, now that he is a Marvel and DC guy, could probably easily get funding or perhaps fund on own?

I always yearned for another and never openly expressed all this till now. Convenient that I’m currently watching movie now...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.