Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

Old 11-30-20, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 278 Posts
Re: Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Serenity is an odd name for an action packed science fiction epic. It could have more to do with the lack of box office draw than we might want to admit.
Yeah, it's not a great name for anyone coming to it blind, although I'm hard pressed to think of a title that fits the film but is more accessible.

But there are a lot of great movies that didn't do well in the box office that became classics: It's a Wonderful Life, Blade Runner, A Christmas Story, The Shawshank Redemption. I'd count Serenity among them.
There's also Wizard of Oz, Princess Bride, and Citizen Kane. Success at the box office is only tangentially related to the film's quality, or even its appeal. It's a snapshot in time of how many people were convinced to pay money to see it in a theater during it's limited theatrical window.
Old 11-30-20, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 645 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Snakes on a Plane was a situation where the only real interest in the film was in the title, to make fun of online. A studio mistook the "buzz" around mocking a movie title that so boldly proclaimed its wacky premise as something that would translate into people paying money to sit in theaters and watch a B movie based on said title/premise. But mocking a movie title online is free, paying to see a movie takes money and time, and most we're willing to part with either.

Grindhouse was two cinephile directors crafting loving tributes to a niche sort of viewing experience that had long disappeared, and finding that the audience wasn't as wiling to indulge their quirks as they had in the past. Plus, didn't tickets cost double or something? Nowadays, it'd probably be billed as a Fathom event, with the two films getting separate wide releases.

Serenity was simply a solid space opera, crafted in a way that you didn't need to know anything about the previous TV show, or even know said TV show even existed, to enjoy it. The TV fans alone weren't going to be enough to drive the box office of the film, but they were an indicator that the property had appeal, if they could just convince people to come see it.

Tickets did not cost double. It was a 3.5 hour viewing experience. You had Planet Terror and Death Proof along with the fake trailers and fake coming attractions, commercials, etc. I saw Grindhouse in its entirety 3 times in theaters. One of the best movie theater experiences ever.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-30-20)
Old 11-30-20, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

Snakes on a Plane was a situation where the only real interest in the film was in the title, to make fun of online. A studio mistook the "buzz" around mocking a movie title that so boldly proclaimed its wacky premise as something that would translate into people paying money to sit in theaters and watch a B movie based on said title/premise. But mocking a movie title online is free, paying to see a movie takes money and time, and most we're willing to part with either.

Grindhouse was two cinephile directors crafting loving tributes to a niche sort of viewing experience that had long disappeared, and finding that the audience wasn't as wiling to indulge their quirks as they had in the past. Plus, didn't tickets cost double or something? Nowadays, it'd probably be billed as a Fathom event, with the two films getting separate wide releases.

Serenity was simply a solid space opera, crafted in a way that you didn't need to know anything about the previous TV show, or even know said TV show even existed, to enjoy it. The TV fans alone weren't going to be enough to drive the box office of the film, but they were an indicator that the property had appeal, if they could just convince people to come see it.
I loved watching Grindhouse in theaters. I was very willing to indulge.
Old 11-30-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

It was the usual admission price. I was anxious to see it, so I can't speak for the mainstream audience.
IBJoel (11-30-20)
Old 11-30-20, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Received 478 Likes on 303 Posts

Yeah, it's not a great name for anyone coming to it blind, although I'm hard pressed to think of a title that fits the film but is more accessible.
Cowboys, but in Space
Old 11-30-20, 03:25 PM

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I wasnít a fan prior, but I still enjoyed the hell out of this film many times over. If I ever watch the series, then Iíll say ďhey, how bout that? Thatís what that is about or fromĒ and then Iíll be like ďthatís cool.Ē
What I don't understand. This is one of your favorite movies and you have watched it a couple of times and you still haven't watched the show?

Old 11-30-20, 07:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 453 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
What I don't understand. This is one of your favorite movies and you have watched it a couple of times and you still haven't watched the show?
no I haven’t watched the show and I’ve seen the movie more than a couple of times. So? No prerequisites required. It was a highly entertaining isolated movie based on something I never saw and couldn’t care less. I loved the actors, the production, the writing, the movie. That’s all I needed to enjoy. Perhaps I’ll get to the series one day, but in no rush.
Old 11-30-20, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

no I havenít watched the show and Iíve seen the movie more than a couple of times. So? No prerequisites required. It was a highly entertaining isolated movie based on something I never saw and couldnít care less. I loved the actors, the production, the writing, the movie. Thatís all I needed to enjoy. Perhaps Iíll get to the series one day, but in no rush.
If you ever get around to watching it, you are in a for A TREAT! This is one of the best shows of the last 20 years. Each episode is a gem, the performances, the directing, the production values, the writing (especially with the quotable dialogue) are all top tier. Well done and really fun!
Old 11-30-20, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Received 299 Likes on 209 Posts

I liked the series much more than the movie.
Old 11-30-20, 09:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 453 Likes on 403 Posts

If you ever get around to watching it, you are in a for A TREAT! This is one of the best shows of the last 20 years. Each episode is a gem, the performances, the directing, the production values, the writing (especially with the quotable dialogue) are all top tier. Well done and really fun!
I don’t doubt it. I’m sure it is great and expands on what we saw in Serenity. I’m just countering the points that many seem so shocked that one could like a theatrical movie without watching the original source material. You don’t, you simply don’t need to see Firefly to enjoy this movie. That’s all I’m saying. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend. I like good movies that tell good stories, whether original, based on a book, graphic novel or tv series. That’s it. You don’t always need to see, know or be aware of the original source to enjoy a movie that is just plain good. Or imo great. Would I have gotten more out of the movie if I saw and enjoyed the series? perhaps. But again, good material in whatever form that hits with the viewer (me) is what I look for.
Old 12-01-20, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 203 Posts

I donít doubt it. Iím sure it is great and expands on what we saw in Serenity. Iím just countering the points that many seem so shocked that one could like a theatrical movie without watching the original source material. You donít, you simply donít need to see Firefly to enjoy this movie. Thatís all Iím saying. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend. I like good movies that tell good stories, whether original, based on a book, graphic novel or tv series. Thatís it. You donít always need to see, know or be aware of the original source to enjoy a movie that is just plain good. Or imo great. Would I have gotten more out of the movie if I saw and enjoyed the series? perhaps. But again, good material in whatever form that hits with the viewer (me) is what I look for.
I knew from day one that Serenity worked even if you haven't watched the show. Star Wars doesn't start from the beginning. George Lucas put the viewer in the middle of the story, intentionally. And it worked.

Serenity works on that level, and very well.

It works better if you've seen Firefly, but it still works very well as a standalone movie.

It's a great movie, and a great series. It's a shame that we never got a restart of the series, but the story ends pretty darned well in Serenity. No more is needed, but it would have been fun.
Old 12-01-20, 11:32 AM

no I havenít watched the show and Iíve seen the movie more than a couple of times. So? No prerequisites required. It was a highly entertaining isolated movie based on something I never saw and couldnít care less. I loved the actors, the production, the writing, the movie. Thatís all I needed to enjoy. Perhaps Iíll get to the series one day, but in no rush.
I'm not shocked at all that you like the movie without knowledge of the show. When Serenity came into cinema, I didn't even know there was a show. I saw the trailer, liked it, bought the DVD set of Firefly, watched it on the next weekend and went to see the movie. My best friend didn't know the show, just watched the movie and loved it as well.
What I'm 'shocked' about is that you love the movie and aren't in a rush to expand the world of Firefly.
Aliens was my first Alien movie and I couldn't wait to see the first one. Perhaps I'm just jealous, because you still have such a great season ahead of you.
Old 12-01-20, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 440 Likes on 311 Posts

Yes, the movie is able to stand on its own, but it is really deepened by the show. There are great character moments that are missed if you haven't seen it.
Old 12-01-20, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,229 Likes on 880 Posts

The movie Serenity was pretty good, but I'm still bummed that we didn't get five or six or seven seasons of Firefly.

So much was left on the table... the blue-handed guys, the Blue Sun mystery in the background. I also have a feeling that we would have found out more about Old Earth, someone would have taken a heel turn (Jayne? Book?), and that Saffron might have joined the main crew at some point.

I realize that Dark Horse Comics (and now Boom Studios) have been putting out comic books that deal with some of these mysteries, but it just isn't the same.
Old 01-10-21, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 605 Likes on 426 Posts

I decided to show my kiddos Firefly this week and we watched Serenity last night. I had forgotten how amazing this movie was. It really is one of the best sci-fi flicks of it's time. I watched the 4k which was freaking gorgeous. My oldest daughter noticed right away. I had told them about the show being a failure but they got to come back a few years later after cult success and make a movie. We watched the BD of Firefly but picture-wise it's pretty average. So we're a few minutes in and my daughter is like "this looks waaaay better than the show." I think she was expecting a TV movie like Psych (one of her favorite shows) and not a full theatrical film. What I also found interesting is that in the 3 years between the show and the movie, how much Fillion and Jewel Staite aged. Not in a bad way, but on the show Fillion was a baby faced Mal and in the movie he looked more like a man. I guess some of that could be from jumping from a average quality BD to 4k as well.

So with it fresh on my mind I remembered the bump and Oldboy getting shit for liking the movie despite not seeing the show. While he's probably in the extreme minority on that one, I can't argue with that at all, mostly for what Jay G said:

The film is expertly crafted to stand on its own, while providing exposition that doesn't feel like exposition, and delivering info that fans already knew in a new and interesting way. Joss Wheden later went on to do something similar with the first Avengers movie, which works whether you saw any of the previous MCU films or not.
Serenity is so well made it completely stands on its own. Sure you're missing out on character backstory (Inara is wasted in this, and Book comes across as someone they simply crossed paths with during the show vs. being part of the crew), but for the most part everyone else is well developed and serves the story perfectly.

I really only have one major complaint and one minor. First the biggest action sequence at the climax of the movie takes place in a basically a closet. Did Joss run out of money at that point? The second, albeit minor, complaint is not using the theme song somewhere. Sure it was redone for the credits but it was basically unrecognizable.
The following 3 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
[email protected] (01-10-21), Jay G. (01-10-21), kefrank (01-10-21)
Old 01-11-21, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

This never got a continuation. Joss must have good credit after the Avengers. I wonder if itís even a consideration for future projects.

Also different time. Character based sci fi wasnít big then but is now.
Old 01-11-21, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
This never got a continuation. Joss must have good credit after the Avengers. I wonder if itís even a consideration for future projects.

Also different time. Character based sci fi wasnít big then but is now.
I don't believe there will be a continuation, that ship has sailed, but if there is the tiniest chance, it will be a continuation on a streaming service. The movie is Universal production so Peacock could be a home for it, but the show was produced by Fox and I don't see Disney making a "version" of Guardians of the Galaxy.
Old 01-11-21, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Firefly is still a Fox property.

There is a quirk in the Writers' Guild contracts that give the creator of a tv series the right to shop the concept around to other studios for theatrical films. That is why Serenity ended up at Universal, and likely why it also wasn't called Firefly: The Movie.

Any new Firefly/Serenity based series would have to end on a Disney owned streaming service (Disney+ or Hulu), or Disney would need to be willing to license the concept out to another studio.

The 'verse has been expanded a bit through an ongoing comic book series from BOOM! Studios and several novels from Titan Books. However, I'm not sure if Whedon has any involvement with these, or even approves or consults on them, so their canonicity is dubious.
Old 01-11-21, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 605 Likes on 426 Posts

As for a new series or movie, I'm pretty sure Fillion has always said he's down to play Mal whenever Joss decides it's time to revisit it. No idea on the rest of the cast though.

I saw the novels at Barnes & Noble last week and I might have to give the first one a shot just because. As for Whedon's involvement; "Via Entertainment Weekly, series creator Joss Whedon will be a consulting editor on the new Firefly novels, and they will all be official stories within the canon of the franchise."

So that begs the question of timeline. When do these novels take place specifically in regards to certain characters' outcomes in Serenity? Or are they like Star Wars and just take place whenever the author sees fit?
Old 01-11-21, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm a huge Firefly/Serenity fan, but at this point I wouldn't want a new series or movie, unless maybe it was something taking place in the same universe but with entirely different characters. The story of Firefly was tied up beautifully in Serenity and with the amount of time that has now passed, just let it be the wonderful thing that it is.
Old 01-11-21, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I saw the novels at Barnes & Noble last week and I might have to give the first one a shot just because. As for Whedon's involvement; "Via Entertainment Weekly, series creator Joss Whedon will be a consulting editor on the new Firefly novels, and they will all be official stories within the canon of the franchise."

So that begs the question of timeline. When do these novels take place specifically in regards to certain characters' outcomes in Serenity? Or are they like Star Wars and just take place whenever the author sees fit?
Most of the stuff coming out now (the novels and BOOM! comics) take place pre-Serenity.

The only major works that take place post-Serenity are a two of the old Dark Horse titles, Leaves on the Wind and No Power in the 'Verse, and a handful of short comic stories like "Float Out," "It's Never Easy," and "Warrior and the Wind."

I think that the BOOM! comics might finally be moving into the post-Serenity era in the main series; they're also doing a series set twenty years later that focuses on the daughter of two of the characters.

I haven't been reading the BOOM! titles, but from what I've read online, some people have issues with the writing. Some of the interior art I've seen looks kind of dodgy and amateurish.
Michael Corvin (01-11-21)
Old 01-11-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Huge fan of both the series and film and I also don't want a continuation at this point. I think everything was tied up perfectly.
Old 01-11-21, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Poked around online a bit and found this chronological order for the tv series, movies, comics, and novels.

The Firefly/Serenity Chronological Reading Order :

The Firefly universe is still expanding, and new stories explores adventures and characters’s history before, during or after the tv series and film. It’s not always easy to define the place of certain stories in the chronology, as there’s not enough informations in some cases.

1. Fun With Dick and Jayne – short story include in Still Flying.

2. Tam Sessions – Short Serenity promotional videos

3. Firefly, The TV show, episodes 1 to 6

4. Firefly: Bad Company – A one shot telling the secret origin of Saffron.

5. Firefly, The TV show, episodes 7 to 10

6. Serenity: Downtime – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.

7. Firefly, The TV show, episodes 11 to 12

8. Serenity: Better Days – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One. Occurs after the episode ‘Ariel’ and before ‘Heart of Gold’.

9. Firefly, The TV show, episodes 13 & 14

10. Firefly: The Magnificent Nine – Novel

11. Firefly: Big Damn Hero – Novel

12. Firefly: The Sting – Comic

13. Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 1 – set between the series and the movie

14. Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 2 – set between the series and the movie

15. Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 3 – set between the series and the movie

16. What Holds Us Down – short story include in Still Flying.

17. Crystal (Brett Matthews) – in Still Flying.

18. Serenity: Those Left Behind – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.

19. Serenity: The Other Half – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.

20. Firefly: The Ghost Machine

21. Serenity, the movie

22. Serenity: The Shepherd’s Tale – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One. The events mostly occurs prior "Fun With Dick and Jayne," but some events take place during the movie and are spoilers.

23. Firefly: Watch How I Soar – Like The Shepherd’s Tale, it offers background on a character, but use events from the movie.

24. Serenity: Float Out – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.

25. Serenity: It’s Never Easy – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.

26. Serenity: Leaves on the Wind – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book Two.

27. Serenity: The Warrior and the Wind – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book Two.

28. Serenity: No Power in the ’Verse – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book Two.

29. Take The Sky – short story include in Still Flying.
Michael Corvin (01-11-21)
Old 01-11-21, 08:41 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

that Firefly scene in Castle is still fucking gold.
Old 01-12-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
that Firefly scene in Castle is still fucking gold.
I forgot about that.

Michael Corvin (01-12-21)