Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weepiest Films of All Time.....

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weepiest Films of All Time.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Fish nearly gets me every time.
Old 09-20-05, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cried like a 9 year old girl who just fell off her bike and scrapped her knee when watching The Notebook and years ago with The English Patient, though I have watched EP since then and it doesn't have the same effect, but I did back then.

Gladiator I get a little blurry sometimes along with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind oh man to many personal connections with ESotSM, damn......
Old 09-20-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
this is sort of a sexist comment and I appologize in advance, but did anyone else notice that the woman's movie list has more crap on it then the mens?

I.E. Stepmom, Titanic, Ghost, Steel Magnolis, Pay it forward vs armagedon
Titanic and Ghost were also on the men's list.
Old 09-20-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can’t honestly say a film ever caused me to cry – misty-eyed, yeah sure – but no tears rolling down my cheeks or anything like that.

However, about a month or so ago, I did watch a Japanese film that had me fighting back tears for perhaps as much as one-third of its two-hour running time. And I don’t use the phrase “fighting back tears” lightly, while they did not escape, I’ll admit to having full-blown tears welled-up in my eyes for large portions of the film. For fear of betraying the crack in my voice, I dared not speak upon the film’s conclusion, and I let the credits roll to the very end in order to buy some time with which to compose myself while also affording others I watched it with the same opportunity (an appreciated course of action on my part as I gleaned from a next day discussion). A rarity for me, I actually woke up an hour later than usual the next morning and I’ll attribute that to the palpable strain I experienced from watching this film. It struck a little to close to home for me personally………or maybe the Alan Alda in me was more on the surface that night and thus an easy target. I do know one thing – a more heartrending, touching, and affecting film I have never experienced – and I don’t anticipate that I ever will again.

The title is Ima, Ai Ni Yukimasu (2004) aka Be With You; it is scheduled for a Hollywood remake in 2007 with Jennifer Garner in the lead actress role. I can’t say that “Ima, Ai Ni Yukimasu” delivered anything not seen before in a number of other Japanese/Korean romance films – it was formulaic pop entertainment, purposefully engineered to strike straight at your heart - but in me, it found its target like no other I’ve ever experienced.

I’d seriously considered starting an International Forum discussion on this film back when I first watched it but found myself a little short on time (while also debating the wisdom of exposing myself to a public self-neutering – which I suppose I’ve just done). For those who are region-free, an inexpensive, English-subbed, R3 HK DVD release is available.
Old 09-20-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Anyone ever see Michael Keaton's MY LIFE? I've only seen it once because it's so depressing.

But my FAVORITE 3-hanky movie is SOMEWHERE IN TIME.
Old 09-20-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I'll second the pick of the anime "Grave of the Fireflies". That movie just reduces me to a puddle even thinking about it, and I normally hardly ever tear up watching movies. Another movie that really hit me hard is Lee Tamahori's "Once Were Warriors".
Old 09-20-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh, in addition to my Big Fish and Old Yeller post: Night and Fog, but for entirely different reasons.

-JP
Old 09-20-05, 03:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I saw a British movie called This Little Life at Palm Springs International Film Festival (2004) about a couple and their dying new born. One can only guess how the movie ends and I swear I was sobbing, I got completely unstrung and had my t-shirt under my eyes.
Old 09-21-05, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Add:

John Q.

Being a father, this is the only movie that actually made me all out cry.
Old 09-21-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No The Iron Giant in the list.
Old 09-21-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
I can’t honestly say a film ever caused me to cry – misty-eyed, yeah sure – but no tears rolling down my cheeks or anything like that.
Same. I'd say, though, that The Last Samurai came pretty close. The whole death of the samurai (and, writ large, the death of honor) really got to me.
Old 09-21-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

However, about a month or so ago, I did watch a Japanese film that had me fighting back tears for perhaps as much as one-third of its two-hour running time. And I don’t use the phrase “fighting back tears” lightly, while they did not escape, I’ll admit to having full-blown tears welled-up in my eyes for large portions of the film. For fear of betraying the crack in my voice, I dared not speak upon the film’s conclusion, and I let the credits roll to the very end in order to buy some time with which to compose myself while also affording others I watched it with the same opportunity (an appreciated course of action on my part as I gleaned from a next day discussion). A rarity for me, I actually woke up an hour later than usual the next morning and I’ll attribute that to the palpable strain I experienced from watching this film. It struck a little to close to home for me personally………or maybe the Alan Alda in me was more on the surface that night and thus an easy target. I do know one thing – a more heartrending, touching, and affecting film I have never experienced – and I don’t anticipate that I ever will again.

The title is Ima, Ai Ni Yukimasu (2004) aka Be With You; it is scheduled for a Hollywood remake in 2007 with Jennifer Garner in the lead actress role. I can’t say that “Ima, Ai Ni Yukimasu” delivered anything not seen before in a number of other Japanese/Korean romance films – it was formulaic pop entertainment, purposefully engineered to strike straight at your heart - but in me, it found its target like no other I’ve ever experienced.

I’d seriously considered starting an International Forum discussion on this film back when I first watched it but found myself a little short on time (while also debating the wisdom of exposing myself to a public self-neutering – which I suppose I’ve just done). For those who are region-free, an inexpensive, English-subbed, R3 HK DVD release is available.
Very nice little movie it is! However I didn't cry when the movie is over. Instead, I had a very big grin on my face. The movie did feels sad on some part, but the ending is such a feel good I couldn't help but grinning.

Anyway, where did you saw it? I watched it on cinema when I went to Singapore last July. I didn't know what's the movie is all about but I give it a shot anyway. I guess I'm kinda lucky that day.
Old 09-21-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eedoon
Anyway, where did you saw it? I watched it on cinema when I went to Singapore last July.
I purchased the recently released Hong Kong DVD so I watched it at home (here in the U.S.). Was there a large audience when you saw it in the Singapore theater? I'm curious, what was their reaction, any crying and stuff like that?

Have you watched any of these other "pure love" films from Japan?

Sekai no chûshin de, ai o sakebu (2004) aka Crying Out Love in the Center of the World is also a good one.

I also have the DVD for Tengoku no honya - koibi (2004) aka Heaven's Bookstore but haven't watched that one yet.
Old 09-21-05, 01:10 PM

What type of "men" are these when Rudy and Brian's Song aren't even on the list?!
Old 09-21-05, 01:20 PM

flixtime, "I purchased the recently released Hong Kong DVD"

I'm interested in watching this movie. Where did you buy your Hong Kong DVD?
I just finished watching IL MARE from South Korea so I'm in the mood for another foreign film.
Old 09-21-05, 01:47 PM

Beaches

and more recently, The Notebook...*sniff*sniff*
Old 09-21-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Easy!

E.T. - every frickin' time *shakes fist at Spielberg*
The Champ (Voight/Schroeder) - I challenge anyone to get through the last 10 minutes without welling up.

...and no, I'm not a "girlie-man" heh
Old 09-21-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TaranScorp
flixtime, "I purchased the recently released Hong Kong DVD"

I'm interested in watching this movie. Where did you buy your Hong Kong DVD?
I buy from a few different sites so I don't recall which one exactly but if you are ordering only this one title then it is available over at CD-WOW. Keep in mind it is coded for Region 3. Use the discount link and if you haven't already also the $2-off DVDTalk coupon and you can pick it up for $13.95 with free shipping. If you haven't used them before, don't worry, CD-WOW is top notch.
Old 09-21-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I purchased the recently released Hong Kong DVD so I watched it at home (here in the U.S.). Was there a large audience when you saw it in the Singapore theater? I'm curious, what was their reaction, any crying and stuff like that?
Not quite large. No long line or such. But at least three quarter of the theatre seat is filled. And about their reaction, I'm not quite sure about the whole movie (I was a little bit overwhelmed with the movie myself), but I think I heard loud gasps and sighs near the end of the movie (especially on part concerning the diary).

Also there's a couple of schoolgirls sitting next to me and they're so into the movie (I think - they're speaking part chinese part singlish to each other), and I think it's a good sign.

I had a very good time watching the movie, especially because I'm on the right mood at the time, and it was a good audience I'm watching with.

Have you watched any of these other "pure love" films from Japan?
Unfortunately no. Japanese film is quite hard to find here, except when it comes to anime.
Old 09-21-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cried at the end of the Hours, and the lights came up too fast and a really hot girl turned around and saw me, i did one of those macho looking at the ceiling, something in my eye thing.
Iron Giant is another one that me tear up.
Old 09-21-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Anyone ever see Michael Keaton's MY LIFE? I've only seen it once because it's so depressing.

But my FAVORITE 3-hanky movie is SOMEWHERE IN TIME.
Oh yeah, My Life will definitely tear away at you, especially at the end of the movie when you are seeing the results of his efforts. Somewhere In Time has been my top movie for years, though there have been a few that have challenged it for me over time.

As far as movies that leave me ready to hang my head and sob, Fresh Horses is probably the one that tops them all.
Old 09-21-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
No love for Karate Kid 2?
Spoiler:
When Daniel and Miyagi are sitting together looking over the ocean after Miyagi's father passes away gets me a little choked up

[edit to add]
I'd also put Last American Virgin up there... who hasn't had that kind of fucked up heartbreak?

Last edited by devilshalo; 09-21-05 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about City of Angels?
Old 09-22-05, 06:20 AM

Beethoven. The one with the dog.

I remember weeping and nagging as a young kid because I was forced to see it 4 times all within a matter of days (School, Father, Mothers Friend & Mother, After School Activity). All at the theater.

I remember sitting there as if it was a pure nightmare waiting to go home each time. Truly a nightmarish experience. I haven't ever seen the movie since.

But, I know thats not what you mean. Anyhow, here are some. Steel Magnolias, Beaches, some Lifetime movie from the early 90's I dont know the name of, & others.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 09-22-05 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-22-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forrest Gump, City of Angels, Big Fish, Finding Neverland and Irreversible.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.