Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why did Alien: Ressurrection Suck?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did the movie, Alien: Ressurrection, suck so badly? Was it anything to do with the plot, writing, acting and the fact that it had a French director? As a self contained film, I find it watchable and moderetly entertaining, but in comparison to what came before, I find it somewhat disappointing but I can't put my finger on it somehow.

What makes Alien: Ressurrection such a bad movie?
Old 09-18-05, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked it until the hybrid alien turned up at the end. Some of the horrible CG didn't help.
Old 09-18-05, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I didn't suck. Although I wasn't crazy about the Alien Hybrid at the end the rest of the movie was cool.
Old 09-18-05, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winona Ryder, the dork in the wheelchair, and that goofy ass looking Alien at the end.
Old 09-18-05, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Because bad movies seem to do that.

Take a franchise that already killed off the main character and bring them back as a clone and you'll get a bad taste in your mouth.
Old 09-18-05, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I think it would have been much better if it didn't have some half-assed attempt at bringing back Sigourney Weaver.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.
Old 09-18-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Hell, Ron Perlman was one of the best parts of the movie.
Old 09-18-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I find it fairly rewatchable, in fact a little easier than even the first two. I recognize them as the better films of course, but there's something oddly enjoyable about the fourth one.

I don't seem to have a problem with the baby like most people, I recognize it for what it is, a horrible combination of the two species. It's not exactly going to look like a Precious Moments figurine.
Old 09-18-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I think the blame lands on the writer and director for their tongue-in-cheek vision of the movie. The look of the film is too bright revealing sets for what they are, the lighting is unnatractive (esp the piss yellow of the corridors). The matte and CG effects are underwelming...Let's not even get into the slime...

Still I do find it watchable - I own it for crying out loud. I really liked the atmospheric music - great score imo. The last scene overlooking earth is one of the better ones imo - the reflection of earth below in the window...nicely done.

Last edited by Artman; 09-18-05 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-18-05, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Hell, Ron Perlman was one of the best parts of the movie.
agreed
Old 09-18-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ron Perlman is the best part of every movie.
Old 09-18-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It didn't suck. It's mildly entertaining at the very least. I liked the dark humor and the pacing, although, like everyone else that hybrid alien is kinduva letdown.

Alien: Resurrection might not be able to hold a candle against the first two episodes, but at least it's still better than Alien 3.
Old 09-18-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eedoon
Alien: Resurrection might not be able to hold a candle against the first two episodes, but at least it's still better than Alien 3.

I agree with that.... I liked Alien 4 way more than 3..... I loved the dark humor in this movie and seeing Sigourney Weaver walking around acting like a total bitch was a lot of fun imo. Personally, I enjoy watching AR more than I do Aliens also. But the first film, Alien is one of my favorite films, so I really can't compare it to any of the sequels....it's just in a class of its own.
Old 09-18-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't seen it in several years. This was the only Alien movie I saw in a theater. I went because I was a fan of the director. The preview I saw made it look like it was going to be a really good time. You could tell the actors (especially Sigourney) were having fun with the line readings. I remember the scene with Ron Perlman & Sigourney walking down the hall & he says something like, "You fought these things before, right? What did you do?" & she says, "I died" being really funny & the one where Winona first visits her & Sigourney talks about her baby was really interesting too. When I sat in the theater, I found that they had used alternate takes with totally bland line readings. So I have to think that part of the problem is that Jeunet didn't speak much English & couldn't pick up on some of the nuances & subtleties.

I can't remember if that was the trailer or some other kind of tv sneak peek. I'll have to get the boxset sometime & see if it's on there & give the movie another look. I didn't hate it, but it was disappointing - not just for Alien fans, but fans of Jeunet also.
Old 09-18-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thankful it came along actually, otherwise we had Alien 3 as the conclusion to the series rather than Resurrection which redeemed it a bit. It will never hold up to the first two movies, but few movies could.
Old 09-18-05, 01:48 PM

I think Alien 3 is a much, much better film then Alien Res.

I agree that Ressurrection is a poor film. At its heart, it has a very weak story. Aliens break loose, they travel through the ship. It brings nothing new and even then, is not particularly well done. The characters are weak, largely due to some particularly poor dialgoue. The humor the director tried to bring to the project was unnecessary and not funny.

Basically this film had two big problems...a poor script, whether that be Whedon or the constant rewrites by studio heads or both, I don't know. And a director who in general is an excellent director but just was completely wrong for this material. Very disapointing film and a very bad direction to take the story.
Old 09-18-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I think Alien 3 is a much, much better film then Alien Res.

I agree that Ressurrection is a poor film. At its heart, it has a very weak story. Aliens break loose, they travel through the ship. It brings nothing new and even then, is not particularly well done. The characters are weak, largely due to some particularly poor dialgoue. The humor the director tried to bring to the project was unnecessary and not funny.

Basically this film had two big problems...a poor script, whether that be Whedon or the constant rewrites by studio heads or both, I don't know. And a director who in general is an excellent director but just was completely wrong for this material. Very disapointing film and a very bad direction to take the story.
These were my problems too. The dark comedy elements felt too out of place; Aliens had some funny moments, but they were mostly to set up characters or for nervous laughter.

I understand wanting to bring a new type of Alien to the screen, but the one they chose was just ugly and ineffective; it didn't/couldn't do anything menacing. If they had made a better human/alien hybrid and made the ship full of those instead of regular aliens, it might have made the action better, maybe (or even had battles on all fronts: hybrid aliens fighting regular aliens fighting humans).

My biggest problem was that there just weren't enough aliens to make it scary or tense; there was one that killed the captain of the Betty, two underwater, several more they run into later, but for the most part the humans were just walking through the ship with a few detours along the way. Either stick with one (Alien/Alien3) or hundreds (Aliens); just a dozen isn't scary or threatening.
Old 09-18-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I admit i like 4 more than 3, but the last movie really didnt seem to be that much different from any of the other late 90's CG monster movie.

And its a minor gripe on my part...I cannot believe that bullet weapons are still in wide use 300 years from now. They were on a goddamn military ship and nobody had any advanced energy based weapons?
Old 09-18-05, 03:28 PM

Hmmmm, I guess Alien: Ressurrection was set about six hundred years in the future. The projectile weapons they used in the film looked slightly different to sidearms used now, I could see exotic tracer rounds being used. Also I felt that Ressurrection was not a patch on the first two Alien movies and not as good as Alien III.

Last edited by Cancer Man; 09-18-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
i feel each alien film got worse and worse as they went on, but this isn't knocking Aliens or Alien 3. Alien was a suspenseful sci-fi horror and i love it. Aliens was a bad ass sci fi action flick, and even for it's flaws Alien 3 was a good combo of the two previous films having some suspenseful scenes and some thrilling action sequences (The trapping the alien sewuence is still a fav. of mine). Alien Res. was just a big disappointment, every time i watch it i get hopeful near the start but as the film goes on the bad acting, failed jokes and lack of good action wears you down so by the time the hybrid shows up you've given up. i'll still watch it in hope of liking it (heck i've bought it twice on dvd, legacy and quad) but i don't hold out much hope.
Old 09-18-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think the biggest mistake was in the screenplay (sorry Joss Whedon!). An opportunity was missed to make Alien 3 just a bad dream and resurrect the REAL Ripley, Newt and Hicks (something that would have offended the few fans of part 3, but would have made the majority of viewers REALLY happy).

Still, I think Alien 4 is a tad bit better than Alien 3, and BOTH films are worlds better than Alien Vs. Predator.
Old 09-18-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Alien Ressurrection was stylish and somewhat entertaining but ultimately unfulfilling because of major flaws already mentionned. Although certainly watchable, it is the weakest of the series.

As for Alien 3, well it always gets a bad rap but the main criticism is always the same, i.e. "but they killed Newt and Hicks!". My reply to this silly argument is "aliens are bad ass and unfortunate shit is going to happen, so get over it!". Heck, I think Alien 3 is a better film than Aliens.
Old 09-18-05, 07:28 PM
Banned

I think that the Newborn Alien was too non-threatening, at least in appearance; I believe a better visual direction to take would've been a creature more like the femme-monster of Species, which, ironically, is also an H.R. Giger design (as is the Alien).
Old 09-18-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
As for Alien 3, well it always gets a bad rap but the main criticism is always the same, i.e. "but they killed Newt and Hicks!". My reply to this silly argument is "aliens are bad ass and unfortunate shit is going to happen, so get over it!". Heck, I think Alien 3 is a better film than Aliens.
It's a pretty good argument. Would you like a Star Trek movie that opened by killing Riker and Worf and ended with the death of Picard, or a James Bond movie that began with the death of Q and Moneypenny and ended with Bond dying in a vat of lava? Probably not.
Old 09-18-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I had no problem with it until the last act when they started pulling that shit with the newborn. FWIW, I don't think they kept much of Whedon's actual script itact. It's obvious that the smuggling crew was heavy on his input, and I think that it eventually lead to Firefly.
But anyhoo, I think making part 3 a dream would have been more than logical, as the closing line of Aliens has Newt asking Ripley if they could dream. It would have been a great explanation, but alas....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.