Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why did Alien: Ressurrection Suck?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why did Alien: Ressurrection Suck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
eXcentris, I'd like to buy you a beer and watch Alien 3 with you sometime.
Old 09-28-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,277 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid

Can we end the evening by sacrificing a couple of Alien 3 haters to the gods of nihilism by throwing them in a huge vat of molten metal? If so, I'm there!

Old 09-28-05, 01:32 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'll get the second round.
Old 09-28-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
That's a big generalization which I could counter with why should we care about the marines in Aliens when they are just there to serve as alien food? Why should I care more about the Hicks character than the Clemens character? Or the Dillon character? Both of which were more interesting and better acted characters than anyone in Aliens.
So why should we care about anyone from the movie "Alien"? Because they are a mere spaceship crew that the company screwed over.

The Marines are there by choice, they made the decision to join and take on any threats to human colonies. Ask anyone who has o had a releative in the military and you can find some sympathy in reguards to dying in the line of duty.

I'll admit that the prisoners in "Alien 3" were better acted, but that really doesn't make them easier for me to relate to. The alien kills them and they don't have to spend another 40 years sitting around in a prison....ok,so? I found the prisoners motovation seemed to be more of saving thier own asses and stopping the alien from harming others was a mere afterthought to them.
Old 09-28-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,277 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
The Marines are there by choice, they made the decision to join and take on any threats to human colonies. Ask anyone who has o had a releative in the military and you can find some sympathy in reguards to dying in the line of duty.
Dude, are you serious? These marines, which are the stereotypical badass cardboard soldiers you typically find in mindless action flicks, are there for one reason. To kick ass and be EATEN (ok that's two reasons ). I'm supposed to sympathize with them because they died in the line of duty, fighting ALIENS in a SCI_FI popcorn flick? I worry about how horribly cool their demise looks, not about them as (disposable) characters. And everytime I watch Aliens, I pray for that whining annoying Hudson character to get eaten first but sadly that never happens.

I'll admit that the prisoners in "Alien 3" were better acted, but that really doesn't make them easier for me to relate to. The alien kills them and they don't have to spend another 40 years sitting around in a prison....ok,so? I found the prisoners motovation seemed to be more of saving thier own asses and stopping the alien from harming others was a mere afterthought to them.
They might be inmates but a couple of them (Clemens, Dillon) showed more humanity than any of the soldiers in Aliens except perhaps Hicks.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree because we'll never see eye to eye on this film.
Old 09-28-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thats the genius of Aliens. It establishes a bunch of characters within the confines of a sci-fi action flick that elicit emotions they are either (a) likable (b) despisable but they definitely more than cannon fodder. Thats the problem with all of the action films nowadays no set up, or transaparent set up. (see AVP)

Clemens and Dillon are two good characters as well, but unfortunately, the rest of the cast of Alien3 are just interchangeable. The stuido realized that, panicked, and started chopping the film. Then really bad things started happening.

Lets face it - Aliens did not rip up the groundwork set in Alien. It expanded it.
Alien3 did rip up a lot of things from both films however. It ripped up the alien lifecycle established in Aliens prettyt firmly. (The Alien lifecylce was itself different in Alien, but it wasn't definitively established which gave Cameron the opening to change the behavior.

But more importantly it ripped the hell out of Ripley's relationship with Newt and Hicks. I give the film credit for doing it I guess, but I don't think Alien3 does enough with the new slate.
Old 09-28-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Anyway, let's agree to disagree because we'll never see eye to eye on this film.
I think we can agree that any of the characters from the first 3 movies were far better than those in Part 4.

I found everyone, even Ripley, to be very bland.