Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

WAR OF THE WORLDS thread... (merged)

Old 06-27-05, 10:39 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,513
Originally Posted by scott shelton
And if anyone wants to write a paper on how Spielberg "owns" the MPAA, start with this film. I can't believe they didn't get slapped with an R rating.
Cool. I was hoping it'd at least be a hard PG-13.

A little dissapointed to see the runtime at just under 2hrs, I was hoping at least 2:20...
Artman is offline  
Old 06-27-05, 10:46 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by scott shelton

And the pussified ending?

So it ends like the book did?
Mopower is offline  
Old 06-27-05, 10:52 PM
  #3  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Originally Posted by Mopower
So it ends like the book did?
Didn't read it. Please fill me in...
scott shelton is offline  
Old 06-27-05, 10:58 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Didn't read it. Please fill me in...
Spoiler:
The Martians are destroyed by microbes and are chased down by packs of dogs.
Matthew Chmiel is offline  
Old 06-27-05, 11:01 PM
  #5  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Spoiler:
The Martians are destroyed by microbes and are chased down by packs of dogs.
Yes and no.

Think cigar-chomping military types in the latter role. Kinda lame.
scott shelton is offline  
Old 06-27-05, 11:04 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Yes and no.

Think cigar-chomping military types in the latter role. Kinda lame.
Well I would assume that since the original book was written in the late 1800's. It also doesn't surprise me that Spielberg goes for the "pussified" ending. His endings never usually take "chances."
Matthew Chmiel is offline  
Old 06-27-05, 11:34 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Well I would assume that since the original book was written in the late 1800's. It also doesn't surprise me that Spielberg goes for the "pussified" ending. His endings never usually take "chances."

What's wrong with this ending? That's the ending from the book and it's also (if I understand correctly) the ending from the original film. People always criticize filmmakers for not sticking true to the source material and here we go with the backlash of people now saying the ending should be changed.
JBurns24 is offline  
Old 06-27-05, 11:46 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Originally Posted by JBurns24
What's wrong with this ending? That's the ending from the book and it's also (if I understand correctly) the ending from the original film. People always criticize filmmakers for not sticking true to the source material and here we go with the backlash of people now saying the ending should be changed.
The ending does stay true to the novel. HOWEVER (from what I've heard), a plot point that the audience accepts happens near the start of act three of the film which is completely retracted come the finale. THUS Shelton's "pussified" response.
Matthew Chmiel is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 02:14 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
I loved it...I haven't been this scared in a movie for years. I was on the edge of my seat... sure, the last 10 minutes really put a quick bow on the whole thing, but overall, for a summer popcorn flick, it delivered the goods...can't wait to see it again!

MATT
mdc3000 is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 03:06 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
The book was great, a fantastic piece of science fiction. If anyone here's seen it, I just have few questions:

Spoiler:
I take it that the red fungus that's used to terraform the planet is in the movie? It's very prominent on the teaser poster.

Is the black smoke in the movie?

Is the ending the same as the book? I theorized that the military came up with biological warfare as opposed to the martians just naturally succumbing to it through exposure.

I know that a lot of people die, but are there corpses strewn everywhere like in the book?
Superboy is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 04:51 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
I thought they hacked into the alien spaceships with an Apple computer and wireless modem and sent them a
Spoiler:
computer virus.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 07:01 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,435
RT has it 7 /0 Positive
superdeluxe is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 08:34 AM
  #13  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Originally Posted by mdc3000
I loved it...I haven't been this scared in a movie for years. I was on the edge of my seat... sure, the last 10 minutes really put a quick bow on the whole thing, but overall, for a summer popcorn flick, it delivered the goods...can't wait to see it again!

Did you really feel it was a popcorn film?

I think the origin of the red weeds is enough to kick it out of that feeling.
scott shelton is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 08:37 AM
  #14  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Originally Posted by Superboy
The book was great, a fantastic piece of science fiction. If anyone here's seen it, I just have few questions:

Spoiler:
I take it that the red fungus that's used to terraform the planet is in the movie? It's very prominent on the teaser poster.

Is the black smoke in the movie?

Is the ending the same as the book? I theorized that the military came up with biological warfare as opposed to the martians just naturally succumbing to it through exposure.

I know that a lot of people die, but are there corpses strewn everywhere like in the book?
Yes, yes (I think), no (on the military), and no (they turn to dust).
scott shelton is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 10:10 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Did you really feel it was a popcorn film?

I think the origin of the red weeds is enough to kick it out of that feeling.
Well, there is some subtext going on here, and certainly the performances and direction elevate it from standard popcorn fair, but it is certainly not Schindler's List we're talking about here. But don't get me wrong, Spielberg and co have knocked it out of the park and i can say with confidence, this is probably the best movie of the year so far and audiences are going to be terrified nationwide come wednesday.

MATT

Last edited by mdc3000; 06-28-05 at 10:12 AM.
mdc3000 is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 11:18 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 22,002
My worry: it will terrify them so much they can't make a family night out of the film, which will hurt it in the long run.
Dr. DVD is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 12:00 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Makati, Philippines
Posts: 1,547
now that was one hell of a movie,

for me it was the best Spielberg in more than a decade

better than Schindler's List, imho
joeydaninja is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 12:15 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,171
I well see this, but this would probarly be the last time I'll ever seen Tom Cruise on the big screen. I just can't stand the guy at all. His ego has gotten too big lately, and I'm so sick and tired of hearing about his stupid looney religion. I feel so sorry for Katie, he got her brainwashed.
dom56 is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 12:52 PM
  #19  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
My worry: it will terrify them so much they can't make a family night out of the film, which will hurt it in the long run.
Full agreement.
scott shelton is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 01:13 PM
  #20  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,494
Originally Posted by scott shelton
I'd like to think of WORLDS as a supermodel. It's pretty to look at. At times, it's downright gorgeous. All the parts are in working order. The company it keeps with you is distracting enough to be enjoyable.

But to spend two hours with it leaves you feeling empty.

It'll be interesting what audiences come away with from the film, but IMO, this is a bleak creation, not terribly involving. It features some of Spielberg's best shot constructions, but at the end of the film, this is a pretty joyless creation.

Not that all summer movies have to be fun, but WORLDS isn't even pleasant in a Earth-is-fucked way. It's just dark for dark's sake.

And the pussified ending? Well, I'll let everyone else take a crack at that.

And if anyone wants to write a paper on how Spielberg "owns" the MPAA, start with this film. I can't believe they didn't get slapped with an R rating.
I don't see this in your film list - what letter grade are you giving it?
Giles is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 01:18 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,876
I read an interview with Senior Spielbergo where he said that it won't have the same ending as the book, which we all now know is a bunch of hooey.

Still, I'm glad I know it's the same, becuause if I saw the movie while expecting a different resolution than the book, but got the same thing, I'd be pissed. Now that I know it's the same, I'm kinda disappointed, but at least I won't be pissed.

Anyways, I think it should end with an army of Scientologists using their mind-bullets to kill the aliens...
slop101 is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 03:07 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
RT has it 7 /0 Positive
14-0 now. Not bad. Makes me more excited to see it with the positive buzz.
DodgingCars is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 03:16 PM
  #23  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Originally Posted by Giles
I don't see this in your film list - what letter grade are you giving it?

I would give it around a C grade. It looks like I'm in the minority, but that's cool. I want people to have a good time at the movies no matter what I think.
scott shelton is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 03:23 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 22,002
Hey Scott: FWIW, I remember critics and people thrashing Spielberg for making Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom too dark in 1984, and that sure didn't hurt it. Granted, it didn't do Raiders numbers, but it was a success.

Of course there's a chance audiences have changed a bit since then and are less tolerant of dark plots.
Dr. DVD is offline  
Old 06-28-05, 03:43 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,086
Harry liked it. A lot.
http://aint-it-cool.com/display.cgi?id=20580

(Yes, I know he liked Van Helsing, Phantom Menace, Blade II)
RyoHazuki is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.