Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WAR OF THE WORLDS thread... (merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

WAR OF THE WORLDS thread... (merged)

Old 01-18-06, 02:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means

You are completely wrong about this.
oh don't get me started... I am entitled to my opinion.
Old 01-18-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the hell. My opinion:

War of the Worlds before Tim Robbins shows up: the best action movie of last year, bar none.

War of the Worlds after Tim Robbins shows up:
Old 01-18-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Aside from the feel good ending, I thought it was pretty decent. The ending was supposed to feel confusing and without answers. After all, the entire invasion is only seen through Tom Cruise's eyes.
Old 01-18-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
oh ouch!

[Fiendishly] Ha Ha Ha [/Fiendishly]
Old 01-18-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts
I thought the ending was pretty lame too...but that's how the book ended too so I can't fault the movie for that.

I do feel that it was a sub-par action movie overall though.
Old 01-18-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Barney1234
Battlefield Earth has now topped my "Best movie" list.

oh yeah...

FIXED
Old 01-18-06, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still havent seen this one. I keep hearing mixed things so I know when I finally do see it I shouldnt be holding to much expectations and hope that I actually will like it. Is it a really jumpy movie?
Old 01-18-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is pretty bad. The explosions and action are kinda cool but other than that it isnt very good. The son just happens to survive and it all ends happily.
Old 01-18-06, 04:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 899 Likes on 760 Posts
why hasn't this been closed yet?
Old 01-18-06, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the serious response, unlike some people here.

The special effects were great, it's just that I thought it could have been way better. I was watching and waiting for the film to get better, and it never did. Perhaps it was the whole Tom Cruise thing, I just see him in a different light. No Rain Man performance here. And the little girl screaming at every little thing, I guess it started eating away to make an over un-enjoyable movie experience.

No movies really stand out other than the LOTR Trilogy, Billy Elliot... Can't think of any other ones right now.

Willy Wonka was bad.

But WOTW, made me feel just as I felt, after watching Magnolias.
"I want my 2 hours back!!!"

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Curious....what is your top 10 best of 2005? How many movies did you see in 2005?
Old 01-18-06, 09:09 PM

:P
Blah, never saw that one.

Originally Posted by raven56706
FIXED
Old 01-18-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wha? Huh? LOTR and Billy Elliot....Magnolias?
Old 01-18-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

most of the movie was AMAZING, everything before tim robbins was excellent afterwards still good but not as good as the beginning, the first half was one of the most intense movies I have ever seen.
Old 01-19-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
YOu do realize that little girls scream when they are frightened?
Old 01-19-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
YOu do realize that little girls scream when they are frightened?
Yeah, but...

She screamed LIKE A GIRL.
Old 01-19-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same reason I can't watch Jurassic Park anymore. What the hell is it with Spielberg and screaming, whiney kids anyway?
Old 06-05-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Just rented/watched it over the weekend. I have to agree with a previous poster -- it's been a long time since anything had me on the edge of my seat.

KenBuzz Movie Rating = 4.5 stars (out of 5)
Snake/Train/Indian = 1 star (flaming train rushes by)
Blatant Sex = 0 stars
Memorable Line = 1 star ("no shields!")
Wanton Destruction of Public Property = 1 star (city street get torn up, and that's just for starters)
Good Mort = 1 star (people vaporized left and right)
BONUS HALF STAR for WDoPP (goes without saying)
Total = 4.5 stars

Comparable 4.5-star movies: HIGHLANDER, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, DIE HARD, TERMINATOR 2
Old 06-05-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read the book about a month ago and after finishing it, I rented this movie, purely because I was curious to see how they adapted it. I didn't have high hopes for it going in for various reasons (not a big fan of Cruise or Speilberg's latest movies and I wished they'd make a movie in the book's original setting), but I was actually pleasantly surprised, it was really well done and, more or less, a pretty good adaptation of the book.

Spoiler:

Obviously they put the storyline in the "now" instead of the late 1800s. A lot of the scenes had to be updated for the times, like the ferry boat instead of paddle steamers, adding shields on the tripods (a nod to the 50's movie version) to compensate for the more powerful, modern military. The whole scene with the crazed mob and the gun and the only working vehicle was thematically the same as the crazed mob in the book trying to escape London by any means necessary (the main character's brother helps fend off robber's trying to steal a carriage from two women). Different, but the same... the main point was that everyone's out for themselves in a time of crisis, and would do things they normally wouldn't do in order to survive.

It was pretty cool for Speilberg to use the shaky documentary camera style shooting and feel, following just Tom around, as in the book the whole tale is from the P.O.V. of the main character and doesn't cut away to anyone else nor is there a bird's eye view of it all. All outside information was gleamed from others "I just got back from such-and-such town and the whole place is on fire, don't go that way! etc.". The story is basically about the main character just trying to survive the impossible, and pretty much unable to fight back (the whole bomb up the yazoo was made up for the film, gotta throw in a heroic moment for Tom, I suppose).

Speilberg just had to add a couple of kids to tag along with the main character. Both the book and this movie share a wife (or ex-wife in this case) waiting back in the (supposed) safety of a town. I can let the kid surviving in the movie and show up for the "happy ending" slide a little because the main character in the book thinks his wife is dead from a report that the town she was staying in was completely destroyed by the tripods, and she shows up at the end, unscathed.

The three of the book's characters were combined (The Artilleryman/The Curate/Ogilvy) to make Tim Robbins character, Ogilvy. All that "boring stuff" in the basement (as I've read user reviews complain about) with the aliens probing around, Tim's character going crazy (Artilleryman/The Curate) with Tom's character killing him (which happens to The Curate) to shut him up so the aliens wouldn't find them, is in the book.

The movie aliens were from "outer space" instead of Mars, which kind of screws up the whole Red Weed thing (it's what makes Mars red). It still made for cool visuals, though. Also, in the book, the aliens were shot out from Mars, one by one, in giant metal cannisters towards Earth, not buried underground, with the aliens beamed in. Minor nitpick I suppose, as it doesn't really change the story overall. The alien designs are way different (more regular looking, bland aliens as opposed to the giant brain squids), and they are unaffected by Earth's gravity (since they aren't from Mars), but the Tripods were spot on. They didn't use The Black Smoke (black poison gas cloud in the novel), which is the only change.

The ending is the same, thankfully Tom didn't take over a tripod and start fighting against the rest of them in some big Hollywood climax. It's cool that the narration at the beginning and end are pretty much straight from the book.

Anyhoo, yeah, liked it a lot.

Last edited by darqleo; 06-05-06 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-01-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know this is a huge bump but I just caught this on HBO. What exactly killed them?
Old 01-01-07, 05:06 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler:
Common, every day bacteria; the kind humans built up resistance to thousands of years ago.
Old 01-01-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was wondering if that was it. Thanks