Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WAR OF THE WORLDS thread... (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

WAR OF THE WORLDS thread... (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't quite like it that much.

Good start (mighty nice special effects), sagged in the middle, and peters out at the end. At one point, I was still trying to figure out why the audience would care about the family of Tom Cruise's character, Ray, over any other family in the film. The film just never bridged that emotional connection for me. I get the "everyman" quality that was embodied by Ray's family, but none of it truly resonated with me, and their continued survival didn't much impact the conclusion all that much either as it wraps up a bit too tidy, and I was left with a "Eh..." feeling.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 06-30-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
I would give it around a C grade. It looks like I'm in the minority, but that's cool. I want people to have a good time at the movies no matter what I think.
I agree with your grade for the film, though I'm leaning toward a C- myself.
Old 06-30-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
i don't agree with this at all. the reason it was a shit ending was because they failed to set it up. that splinter scene and the opening credits don't count. You can't jsut stop a movie and add a 5 second voice over to finish a movie. I felt cheated.
I wouldn't say I felt cheated, but I definitely agree they could have handled it better. I have no problem with
Spoiler:
bacteria being the aliens downfall, but as the poster above said they could have gone about it a bit better. Having that revealed as the reason for the tripod's defeat (via some scientist on television or something), followed by the Ferrier family reunion scene probably would have worked much better.
The voiceovers, while nice bookends, didn't work too well.
Old 06-30-05, 10:36 PM

It was a good sci-fi film not great but aliens were cool and machines but the acting was a huge let down (B- for the over all) (D- just for the acting).
Now after FF4 on july 8th the summer films are over for me anyone think that this year a huge let down?
Old 06-30-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon22B

Also, I skipped from page 1 but am I the only one that thought Dakota Fanning was the most annoying thing since Jar-Jar Binks?

I still don't understand this complaint. Dakota was doing what 99% of the little girls on Earth would probably do seeing the horrors she saw and having to run for her life every hour.

Screaming her friggin' head off.
Old 06-30-05, 10:50 PM

all i can say is i cant wait for the dvd. come on give us tons of features, and a great soundtrack.
Old 06-30-05, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow what a entertaining movie, went and saw it today after school at a 2:20 showing. On all levels I thought the movie was great. Have to say alot darker, and freaky then I thought it would be. The darker feel to the movie I liked. The story was great. I espicially enjoyed the visuals in the movie, very stunning and great cinematography. Steven Spielberg did a great job directing the movie. I thought the audio was great too. A great movie to see in the movie theater. Hopefully I'll catch this movie again in the movie theaters. I give it 5/5, its what I expected it to be, a good entertaining movie.

Last edited by seasmoke; 07-01-05 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-30-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I still don't understand this complaint. Dakota was doing what 99% of the little girls on Earth would probably do seeing the horrors she saw and having to run for her life every hour.

Screaming her friggin' head off.
Not true. Although she screamed quite a few times, she actually spent the bulk of the film being a snotty brat. Aliens invade and people everywhere are dying and she's complaing that she has to pee and doesn't want anyone to look even though an alien could zap her at any second. Hell, her and her brother kept acting as if it was all their dad's fault. I as the dad would have kicked my sons teeth in if he treated me as the son in the movie and I would have told the little girl to shut up and merely ignore her protests for the duration of the incident.

At her age, I would have rather pissed in my pants rather than stopping somewhere when death is at every corner.

Now her whinning that she wanted to see her mom was spot on a little kid thing to do. That was the only thing authentic about her.

And the "I wanna join the army" headcase son was a total ass. Tom Cruise was the only character I liked because he was a true dad to actually deal with those asses for kids he had.

On a different topic, the bacteria issue should have been hinted at throughout the film. This could have been achieved by showing the spores/roots/whatever long before Tim Robbins showed up. Then, throughout the film, we could se Tom Cruise and other random survivors noticing how the spores/roots/whatever seemed to be gradually withering. Then perhaps the death by bacteria might not have felt so out of left field to most.
Old 06-30-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
i loved it. the look, the feel, the situations. All were great. I had a big Half life 2 feel with the tripods.

wow.. simply wow.

I also have a funny "father/son" bonding expierence from this film at the theatre.
Old 07-01-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
Now after FF4 on july 8th the summer films are over for me anyone think that this year a huge let down?
I think the exact opposite. I think its the best summer ever and its not even over. Sith, Batman Begins,War of the Worlds, and Land of the Dead were all amazing.
Old 07-01-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think he means he has nothing else to look forward to, shaggy.
Old 07-01-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
Look, Europeans nearly wiped out most of the native population with the introduction of smallpox and the rest. The ending is not that farfetched

As for the narration, I found it to be fantastic, mostly because it was straight from the book. IMHO "War of the Worlds" book cannot be overly praised, it is simply a fascinating piece of fiction that really foresaw the destruction of the old European order, the use of chemical and nonconventional weapons as the ultimate bringer of death in modern society. It is quite a marevelous read and can be found at Barnes and Noble for $3.95 list price (plus you can buy 2 classics, and get the 3rd for free) Please read the book, you will see that it is quite good, better than the movie.
Old 07-01-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not true. Although she screamed quite a few times, she actually spent the bulk of the film being a snotty brat. Aliens invade and people everywhere are dying and she's complaing that she has to pee and doesn't want anyone to look even though an alien could zap her at any second. Hell, her and her brother kept acting as if it was all their dad's fault. I as the dad would have kicked my sons teeth in if he treated me as the son in the movie and I would have told the little girl to shut up and merely ignore her protests for the duration of the incident.

At her age, I would have rather pissed in my pants rather than stopping somewhere when death is at every corner.

Now her whinning that she wanted to see her mom was spot on a little kid thing to do. That was the only thing authentic about her.
I disagree. She acted like a little girl having little girl issues. I guess you believe she shoulda held her pee and shut up. I'm sorry but that doesn't seem very realistic. Also, wanting their mommy is also what scared little girls do.
Old 07-01-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
Spoiler:
Look, Europeans nearly wiped out most of the native population with the introduction of smallpox and the rest. The ending is not that farfetched

As for the narration, I found it to be fantastic, mostly because it was straight from the book. IMHO "War of the Worlds" book cannot be overly praised, it is simply a fascinating piece of fiction that really foresaw the destruction of the old European order, the use of chemical and nonconventional weapons as the ultimate bringer of death in modern society. It is quite a marevelous read and can be found at Barnes and Noble for $3.95 list price (plus you can buy 2 classics, and get the 3rd for free) Please read the book, you will see that it is quite good, better than the movie.

I'm sorry what exactly were you spoiling there? That wasn't the ending of that new Colin Farrell movie was it?

All kidding aside,
Spoiler:
If the aliens had been wiped out by smallpox, it would've been a tad more realistic
Old 07-01-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Coming from a person who has an occaisonally bratty little sister, Dakota Fanning's performance was pretty much dead on.
Old 07-01-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

All kidding aside,
Spoiler:
If the aliens had been wiped out by smallpox, it would've been a tad more realistic
Why?

Spoiler:
How does specifying the disease that causes this downfall make it any more realistic? Or does small pox contain alien killing qualities that I'm not aware of?
Old 07-01-05, 01:29 AM

I think the exact opposite. I think its the best summer ever and its not even over. Sith, Batman Begins,War of the Worlds, and Land of the Dead were all amazing.
I concur!
Old 07-01-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Why?

Spoiler:
How does specifying the disease that causes this downfall make it any more realistic? Or does small pox contain alien killing qualities that I'm not aware of?
Spoiler:
Well because we as a society know how dangerous smallpox can be. Deadly bacteria that has been here all along? Didn't anyone bother to think about how the hell the aliens survived long enough to bury those giant machines if they couldn't breathe here? Another peeve of mine, if we were to invade another planet in the future, we know everything about that planet years ahead of time. Perhaps we are better planners?

Although, I suppose there could be a theory that maybe this so called deadly bacteria mutated to hurt the aliens. That would make a little more sense.
Old 07-01-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
On a different topic, the bacteria issue should have been hinted at throughout the film. This could have been achieved by showing the spores/roots/whatever long before Tim Robbins showed up. Then, throughout the film, we could se Tom Cruise and other random survivors noticing how the spores/roots/whatever seemed to be gradually withering. Then perhaps the death by bacteria might not have felt so out of left field to most.
I disagree. I get sick of sitting through movies where you know what is going to happen, you're just plodding through the process and buildup. I had no idea how this would be concluded until the very end, and I like that.

I also liked the realism of how each character would react to this situation, made it much more interesting and seem like an actual war movies at times.

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
What about Charlie & Chocolate Factory, The Island, Brothers Grimm, Corpse Bride, Chronicles of Narnia, King Kong, Big Momma's House 2... nothin? I'll actually see more movies in the theater this year than probably the last 3 years or so put together.
Old 07-01-05, 03:23 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
It is quite a marevelous read and can be found at Barnes and Noble for $3.95 list price (plus you can buy 2 classics, and get the 3rd for free) Please read the book, you will see that it is quite good, better than the movie.
I don't want to take away from the conversation at hand here, but the advice just quoted goes for Pierre Boulle's Planet of the Apes novel also. IMO.
Old 07-01-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what is FF4 ??? (did I miss Final Fantasy 2 and 3 ?? )

I am looking forward to Serenity and King Kong this year. Star Wars was ok and Batman Begins better than expected ... not a bad year so far ...

going to see WotW again in 12 hours .. yeah !!!
Old 07-01-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this last night and really liked it. I'm not a huge Cruise fan, but I've got to say he did a damn good job. As for Dakota Fanning, I found her incredibly annoying. The emotional connection between her and Cruise was tenuous at best and her "I act older than I am" routine is very tiresome. Don't even get me started on the son.

I guess I'm in the minority about Tim Robbins. His character's actions IMHO are consistent with what he went through.
Spoiler:
Weren't the aliens looking at a picture of one of his kids?

Agree heavily with the societal breakdown scenes as being very scary.
Old 07-01-05, 08:39 AM
JM1

One question for you guys - I saw the movie here in the UK last night, and one thing that surprised me from the off was that it was not a widescreen scope print.

That seemed very unusual for this sort of movie, and for Spielberg. I wanted to know are all of the prints the same, ie was it shot in scope widescreen and some ordinary widescreen prints struck for certain territories - or did Spielberg just not shoot it in scope?

I must admit I tend to favor the latter, because I am sure Speilberg would excercise control over how the movie is presented, and it's possible he did not go for scope widescreen to try and preserve the intimate nature of the movie.
Old 07-01-05, 08:53 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by caipirina
what is FF4 ??? (did I miss Final Fantasy 2 and 3 ?? )
Fantastic Four I assume?
Old 07-01-05, 08:56 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Neeb
Liked the movie alot.

Observations...
2. Spielberg must have listened to his military advisors- the soldiers looked and moved (crowd control, team movements, etc) like soldiers.
The actually used REAL soldiers for most of these scenes! I read an article in - if I remember correctly - the New York Times about this. Pretty cool.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.