Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hustle & Flow

Old 06-20-05, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hustle & Flow

Don't let the premise or previews scare you away, this film is worth seeing when it hits theaters in July. Also, let me point out the fact that this isn't the type of film to wait for on DVD unless you have a sound set-up that pisses off the neighbors to the extent that the local police to know you by name. You must have bass given this film's soundtrack...and a lot of it.

I may post more later on, but I'm tired of the internet for now...so that's that.

-JP
Old 06-20-05, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had two chances to see this film, CineVegas (opening night) and an advance preview (both a few days ago); but I had to pass both times.

I've heard nothing but positive things for this film and I'm easily awaiting it's July release date.
Old 06-20-05, 11:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I've heard nothing but positive things for this film and I'm easily awaiting it's July release date.
Here's something different:

Outside of the massive performance by Howard, HUSTLE is fairly standard stuff. Think 8 MILE, but with crunk.

And if you can buy DJ Qualls as a crunk producer, than this film just might be for you.

I wasn't too impressed. Especially with the traditional thug-life ending.
Old 06-20-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Howard was good in "Crash" too. I remember hearing about this at Sundance I think. I hope it gets a wide release.
Old 06-20-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This looks like 8 Mile. I think I'll pass. Althought I thought Howard was great in "Crash".
Old 06-20-05, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This looks like 8 Mile. I think I'll pass. Althought I thought Howard was great in "Crash".
it may look like just another hip-hop drama but imo it stands head and shoulders above its peers. personally, i had problems with the ending b/c it felt artificle, in direct contrast to the rest of the film that preceded it.
Old 06-20-05, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Like I said in my initial post, don't let the premise scare you away. I was going to write a response comparing a couple good boxing movies to their predecessors...but I couldn't put it any better than Geoff did in his review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16368

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
it may look like just another hip-hop drama but imo it stands head and shoulders above its peers. personally, i had problems with the ending b/c it felt artificle, in direct contrast to the rest of the film that preceded it.
Yep, the ending was my biggest complaint as well.

-JP
Old 06-21-05, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I hope it gets a wide release.
Oh, it will.
Old 06-21-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They have ads for this movie at my local theatre. I imagined myself rolling my eyes when I saw them. But maybe it might actually be good.
Old 06-21-05, 02:02 PM

The previews I've seen look alright... But the poster screams Strait-To-DVD Hip-Hop flick... When I got my first look at the artwork I actually did roll my eyes.

I think the audience their targeting with the promotional material isn't gonna get into it as much as the studio would like them to.

But I could be trying to look to deep into the trailers.
Old 06-21-05, 11:31 PM

John Singleton did Boyz N The Hood (which is one of my all-time favorites), so I will probably be seeing this.
Old 06-22-05, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zombie92
John Singleton did Boyz N The Hood (which is one of my all-time favorites), so I will probably be seeing this.
Singleton was at the screening I saw. I had him sign my Boyz N the Hood DVD. Just a note, though...he didn't direct this, only produced it.

-JP
Old 06-22-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Singleton Mortgaged his house to finance Hustle & Flow.
Old 06-22-05, 02:02 AM

Yup, but refused to do so until he got Howard into the studio to see if he could handle the vocals.

-JP
Old 07-07-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I first saw the trailer for this one, my first thought was that it would be great or crap, and now I'm starting to think great. If you are a fan of The Shield, you know that Anthony Anderson is capable of actually...acting. If he is careful, he could really grow into something special, and I'm even shocked that I'm saying that. I think he'll be great in this one. I even liked Ludicris in Crash, so I think he'll be fine in this.

Advance reviews seem great, most of them are glowing reviews, at least the ones that are at RottenTomatoes. Right now it's at 94% with 15 fresh and one rotten. I know that isn't anything yet, but I have a feeling that the score just might stay steady.

I hope this is going to be a good film, I have a feeling it might, so I can't wait to see more of this one.

With my luck though, the rest of the reviews will be blasting it saying it's horrible.
Old 07-07-05, 11:39 PM
Registered

On my top 10 list so far this year.
Old 07-08-05, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I usually don't go for "Ghetto/Rap" movies but the trailer for this one blew me away. I can't wait to see it.

I'm also glad to see Terrence Dashon Howard getting chance to shine. He's a really cool actor who's been around for awhile.
Old 07-16-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw a sneak preview of it tonignt and really enjoyed it, although I agree the ending was a little anti-climatic. I thought the acting was pretty top notch on all counts, with Howard really giving a great performance, not to mention doing a pretty good job on the songs.
Old 07-21-05, 05:36 AM

the ending isn't just contrived, it's offensive. think about what this film is ultimately trying to say. is it really about redemption? reaching for your dreams? or is it about cultivating a mythos through caricature, selling yourself out to stereotype? djay ultimately mirrored this actual film perfectly; give the audience (and the suits) what they want (and expect), and good things will come unto thee. djay was a better man as a pimp; at least he wasn't whoring himself out.

hype is called hype for a reason.
Old 07-21-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i keep hearing great things about this...
Old 07-21-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never would have bothered to see this film based on the commercials if it weren't for a free screening with Q&A with the filmmakers at my school. I am entirely glad I went. Here's a pretty great read on the origins of the director, Craig Brewer:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable
Old 07-22-05, 05:39 PM

The hype on this film is nuts right now! I can't see this having a bad opening weekend at this point.

Paramount is spending the big bucks to make sure you whoop that trick this summer.
Old 07-22-05, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
The hype on this film is nuts right now! I can't see this having a bad opening weekend at this point.

Paramount is spending the big bucks to make sure you whoop that trick this summer.
Funny thing is, as I'm reading your post, " Whoop That Trick " is on in the background on Mtv Jams.
Old 07-22-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Still think I'll pass. I don't care much for the main actor and the commercials keep polluting my Real World time.
Old 07-23-05, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by gkleinman
On my top 10 list so far this year.
I totally agree with you on this. I though it was absolutely fantastic!! Hopefully it'll be remembered come awards time --- especially Howard, I thought he was AMAZING!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.